IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Planning on keeping a car for 7-8 years, best to buy new or used 06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 12:49 AM
tracerit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on keeping a car for 7-8 years, best to buy new or used 06?

I have an 04 Accord right now and I'm REALLY itching to get an IS350 late this summer since I'll be starting a higher paying job in two months. I have 2 years left to pay the Accord off too. It's a 4cyl, slow, no moonroof, no mp3 capability, and carries a few memories that I'd like to forget (exgf lol).

I'm thinking about either:

A. Double my payments on the Accord (which will equal the payemnts that I'll be making on a used IS350) so I'll pay it off in a year, THEN buy a new IS350 with extended warranty for 7years/100k (is this the term that Lexus offers, not sure if it was 7 years or 5). an '09 IS350 will fix up any problems from the 06-08 models. In a year, we might get a look at the new Acura TSX and TL too.

B. Sell the Accord this summer, buy a used 06 IS350, be happy Hopefully the previous owner will be honest and let me know if there are any problems with the car, if none, there most likely won't be any in the future.
Old 03-15-07, 05:53 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

^ I will go with A.
Reasonings:

- A yr from now, you are more stable in your current new job (and financially). From there, you'll be able to gauge whether you will be in this new job for long (or not) and see how the company is doing overall. I am not wishing you bad things here but typically when I hire a more junior person in my division, the 1st yr is the time to evaluate him/her. If the perf reviews of the new guy is not good, I will put in recommendation to let him/her go. So the 1st yr when you start your new job, is not the best time to splurge on money. Again, this is my personal opinion.

- If you are going to keep a vehicle for long, buying new is always better as you will have all its original service records and know how the vehicle has been driven since day 1.

- Who knows a yr form now, you will want something better than an IS350?
Since you can afford it anyway because you are financially more secured.

- Let say you still want IS350 a yr form now, by that time lexus dealers will hopefully be more willing to negotiate on price as the IS will be 3 yrs old. So you may get better, or at least the same deal, as now.

- your 04 accord is still working ok right? No high repairs bill or anything?
If it is still fine, I will keep driving it until you are financially more stable (see 1stpoint above)!

Good luck.

Last edited by SugarRush; 03-15-07 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 06:05 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Buy new. I'm thinking as early as this November for the 2008 models, there will be some new changes to the IS, like the refreshed guages, etc, that the ISF has. So by 2009, you'll have a pretty good ride.

You won't regret buying new once you smell that new car smell.
Old 03-15-07, 06:12 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say A.

I would definitely wait a year to buy the new car, it would be a lot nicer to be driving around in a new car then used IMO. Thats exactly what im doing, i have a '94 es300 completely paid off, all im paying is insurance, and im saving up till the end of this year for the '08 IS350 to come out then ill get that and sell my current car.
Old 03-15-07, 07:17 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah...A.....is what i would recommend also.
Old 03-15-07, 07:32 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's ok for you to buy used 06. I have almost 25k and I think it still drives like a new car. 6-7 years will be no problem. Plus you save more buying used than new and I don't see the differences if it's only been a year old and less miles.
Old 03-15-07, 07:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Option C:

Sell your Accord to a private party or to CarMax (may be worth taking it there to see what they'll offer) and pay it off. Trade only if you get high dollar for it.

Buy a certified pre-owned (CPO) IS350 from a Lexus dealer. You let someone else take the big initial depreciation hit on the car and get a great additional warranty (100K) you're looking for with the new car. Depending on your timing, more IS350s coming off lease may increase your bargaining position.

Lexus used to have a good writeup on CPO, now they have this video site (which includes a PDF link):

http://www.lexus.com/cpodemystify/

Of my three Lexus, I've bought two CPO and recommend it. Was able to bargain effectively on the price and the CPO warranty improves what comes with a new car.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-15-07 at 08:03 AM. Reason: grammatical edit for possesive case misuse :)
Old 03-15-07, 07:59 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Option C:

Sell your Accord to a private party or to CarMax (may be worth taking it there to see what they'll offer) and pay it off. Trade only if you get high dollar for it.

Buy a certified pre-owned (CPO) IS350 from a Lexus dealer. You let someone else take the big initial depreciation hit on the car and get a great additional warranty (100K) you're looking for with the new car. Depending on your timing, more IS350s coming off lease may increase your bargaining position.

Lexus used to have a good writeup on CPO, now they have this video site (which includes a PDF link):

http://www.lexus.com/cpodemystify/

Of my three Lexus', I've bought two CPO and recommend it. Was able to bargain effectively on the price and the CPO warranty improves what comes with a new car.
agree....get a certified used Lexus. you will have the warratny and a car that isnt broken in yet with a long life span left. pay off the accord and keep it as a beater then you have the best of both worlds..new job, something to look forward to, and a back up car when you start to mod that bad boy out!!!
Old 03-15-07, 08:18 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

D. there are NO modern cars that are worth keeping 5-7 years. It will have zero value at the end of that term.
Old 03-15-07, 08:25 AM
gyung
Pole Position

I don't think the point is that you need to have a car that may or may not keep it's value at the end of 5~7 years. While I have to agree, I think the point was you save money yourself and you love your car.
Old 03-15-07, 08:42 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
D. there are NO modern cars that are worth keeping 5-7 years. It will have zero value at the end of that term.
Not true. I've had my 99 Accord Coupe for 7 years (going on 8). It's in immaculate condition (61,000 miles). I'm selling it private party and it's fetching upwards of $9500. That's an extra $9500 for my down payment on my IS. Worth nothing? Hardly.

My dad got $10,000 for his 7 year old ES a few years back.
Old 03-15-07, 08:57 AM
andone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say Option A

So you can have a beater as well.
Old 03-15-07, 09:13 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tracerit
I have an 04 Accord right now and I'm REALLY itching to get an IS350 late this summer since I'll be starting a higher paying job in two months. I have 2 years left to pay the Accord off too. It's a 4cyl, slow, no moonroof, no mp3 capability, and carries a few memories that I'd like to forget (exgf lol).

I'm thinking about either:

A. Double my payments on the Accord (which will equal the payemnts that I'll be making on a used IS350) so I'll pay it off in a year, THEN buy a new IS350 with extended warranty for 7years/100k (is this the term that Lexus offers, not sure if it was 7 years or 5). an '09 IS350 will fix up any problems from the 06-08 models. In a year, we might get a look at the new Acura TSX and TL too.

B. Sell the Accord this summer, buy a used 06 IS350, be happy Hopefully the previous owner will be honest and let me know if there are any problems with the car, if none, there most likely won't be any in the future.
if you plan to keep the car for long, a brand new one would be your best bet.

good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-15-07, 09:26 AM
shoei
Driver

If you want the conservative route then go with "A." Nothing like driving a new car off the lot and have a clear record when it comes to service.

I have a 01 IS300 and I am also "ITCHING" to buy a IS350 but I'm going to wait and save up a bit more money so I don't have to borrow as much when I'm ready. I'll probably go with a 09.
Old 03-15-07, 09:36 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plan A but don't double up your payment. Remember car value goes down hence your extra payment is insignificant when you sell your car. Ie if your payment for example is $250 / mo.Doubling your payment to $500 = $3k extra payment. Will your car value go up $3K? Most likely not. Remember car depreciates not appreciate in value unless it's a classic car. Sell car via third party or by private owner and stick with the private party value and not blue book value(trade in value)
If you're keeping your NEW car always go for a new one and have peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Planning on keeping a car for 7-8 years, best to buy new or used 06?