IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need to sell my brand new '07 IS250!! NO!!!!!!

Old 12-14-06, 02:36 PM
swooopeno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to sell my brand new '07 IS250!! NO!!!!!!

Just bought it a couple months ago. 3k miles on it. So sad to see it go. We are moving to the snow country, and only need 1 car now. Question is... what price point to I start this at? KBB doesn't even have '07 used cars yet. Should I start at a little under MSRP? The fact that there is no sales tax makes it way cheaper than the dealer. Any ideas?
Old 12-14-06, 02:52 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can keep your IS and sell the other car!
Old 12-14-06, 03:01 PM
Wai
Pole Position

Sorry to hear that you have to sell. Unfortunately it's still a used car so starting off at little under MSRP would not make it sell IMHO.

The car is already titled and registered. So the new owner will always get "used" and "3,XXX miles" on the title that he's getting.

My suggestion is to get a ballpark figure based on a 2006 model database on KBB or Edmund.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 12-14-06, 03:06 PM
swooopeno
Driver School Candidate

interesting garage you have there...

just sold my 95 civic, and will probably never sell my 04 runner. : )

edit: ha ha.... just noticed your location. We're also moving to IL. Small world!
Old 12-14-06, 03:06 PM
Soda
Pole Position

You're gonna have to sell it around Invoice price or less. Most likely 2k less to get someone interested in a used car. :'( Sorry to hear!
Old 12-14-06, 03:12 PM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swooopeno
interesting garage you have there...

just sold my 95 civic, and will probably never sell my 04 runner. : )

edit: ha ha.... just noticed your location. We're also moving to IL. Small world!
Yeah small world definitely.

Is your IS250 a AWD? If yes, I would actually suggest you to sell the 4Runner. It's a very nice car but chomp so much gas. I don't drive it unless I need to tow the race car or haul 4-5 people.
Old 12-14-06, 09:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Just bought it a couple months ago. 3k miles on it. So sad to see it go. We are moving to the snow country, and only need 1 car now. Question is... what price point to I start this at? KBB doesn't even have '07 used cars yet. Should I start at a little under MSRP? The fact that there is no sales tax makes it way cheaper than the dealer. Any ideas?
In your state, a used car buyer doesn't have to pay sales tax?

In NJ, you have to pay sales tax before they will register and title any car, new or used.
Old 12-14-06, 09:34 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
In your state, a used car buyer doesn't have to pay sales tax?

In NJ, you have to pay sales tax before they will register and title any car, new or used.
DING! beat me to the punch

whoever buys your car will have to pay sales tax, just not to you. they will have to pay it once they register the car at the dmv, no two ways around paying taxes on the purchase.
Old 12-14-06, 09:35 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Soda
You're gonna have to sell it around Invoice price or less. Most likely 2k less to get someone interested in a used car. :'( Sorry to hear!
agreed. you could probably get a new is250 around invoice right now, if you found the right dealer that had several on their lot right now...
Old 12-15-06, 07:27 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jjbodean
agreed. you could probably get a new is250 around invoice right now, if you found the right dealer that had several on their lot right now...
I'm getting an IS250 $1k below invoice picking it up tomorrow.

To the OP good luck getting more then $30k for it.
Old 12-15-06, 07:37 AM
jasonviper
Pole Position

How do people do that??^
Old 12-15-06, 07:56 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbodean
DING! beat me to the punch

whoever buys your car will have to pay sales tax, just not to you. they will have to pay it once they register the car at the dmv, no two ways around paying taxes on the purchase.
In AZ you don't pay any sales tax if you buy the car from an individual, just the usual title & registration fees. You see a lot of sellers playing that angle in their ads (no sales tax!), but then they screw up that advantage by trying to price their vehicle at close to dealer list prices, not realizing that dealers have enough wiggle room in their pricing to offset some or all of the sales tax difference.
Old 12-15-06, 08:02 AM
swooopeno
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the GOOD NEWS!!!! j/k....

Ya, not sure what I was thinking about sales tax. Haven't bought a used car for while.

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll lose a little more than I originally thought. Oh well... it's the price I pay for happiness....

Wai: Not AWD. If it were, I would have absolultely considered selling the runner. We had NO idea we would be moving.

By the way.. those of you in snow country... can you buy the IS with summer tires, or do they all have all season or winter tires right now? 99% of the ones I looked at here in AZ had summer tires.
Old 12-15-06, 08:05 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel for ya man... Oh well, it's not the end of the world... Just be realistic about what you can get for it... I'd sell it at the upper end of what KBB says for a 2006 model...
Old 12-15-06, 08:11 AM
Wai
Pole Position

By the way.. those of you in snow country... can you buy the IS with summer tires, or do they all have all season or winter tires right now? 99% of the ones I looked at here in AZ had summer tires.
I highly recommend NOT to drive on summer tires in Chicago winter.....
It's not just the snow, it's the *temperature* that makes the tire compound not working well.

A lot of people I know here have 2 sets of tires. One for summer one for winter/all-season. A great excuse to buy extra set of wheels too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to sell my brand new '07 IS250!! NO!!!!!!