IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS - Leg & Head Room (Vehicle comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 05:37 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics: 30.6 inches
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS - Leg & Head Room (Vehicle comparison)-legroom.jpg  
Old 03-03-07, 07:35 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. The IS is Lexus' performance car...it's simply not intended for hauling around a family of four. Anyone that needs rear leg room should consider an ES or GS.

Having little rear leg room isn't a negative feature of the IS - it is what it is. Doesn't anyone test drive cars before they buy them?

Old 03-03-07, 08:47 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. The IS is Lexus' performance car...it's simply not intended for hauling around a family of four. Anyone that needs rear leg room should consider an ES or GS.

Having little rear leg room isn't a negative feature of the IS - it is what it is. Doesn't anyone test drive cars before they buy them?

Well, I agree with you in that the IS is not meant as a family car, but part of the appeal of a four door "sports car" is the occasional utility of the space for short or moderate trips. On that regard, the IS is at a significant deficit compared to other cars in the class with what seems like a similar exterior size and wheelbase.

So the IS ends up being a sedan with coupe space and insurance rates... I don't think it's because people didn't do their due diligence when buying the car. It probably just meant that they didn't anticipate needing the rear seats as much as they did. Even if they didn't do their DD, it was not unreasonable to assume it would have comparable space to a TSX or G35, but this difference is significant...
Old 03-03-07, 09:53 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Well, I agree with you in that the IS is not meant as a family car, but part of the appeal of a four door "sports car" is the occasional utility of the space for short or moderate trips. On that regard, the IS is at a significant deficit compared to other cars in the class with what seems like a similar exterior size and wheelbase.

So the IS ends up being a sedan with coupe space and insurance rates... I don't think it's because people didn't do their due diligence when buying the car. It probably just meant that they didn't anticipate needing the rear seats as much as they did. Even if they didn't do their DD, it was not unreasonable to assume it would have comparable space to a TSX or G35, but this difference is significant...
All good points. The other factor to keep in mind is that the front seats in the IS are HUGE - very comfortable, but they eat up a lot of real estate. Lexus clearly had the comfort of the front seat passengers in mind when they designed the interior of the IS.

Take a look at the thinner seat backs in the new LS, and you'll see what lengths Lexus can go to to maximize rear seat space if they have to. It just wasn't a priority with the IS, and I don't think it should be.
Old 03-03-07, 10:49 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XicaIS
I'm glad someone mentioned it....do you have a car seat in the back for your toddler, or does your child have a booster? I plan on buying an IS250 in the next few weeks and am doing my research...this is a topic I haven't discussed. Let me know...thanks!

Suzie
I have a car seat (Britax Roundabout) for him back there. No issues at all.
Old 03-03-07, 12:00 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xelvic
Even the Honda Civic has more than us.

INTERIOR: INTERIOR MEASUREMENTS FOR 2007 HONDA CIVIC

Headroom (in., front/rear) 39.4 / 37.4 38.1 / 36.7

Legroom (in., front/rear) 42.2 / 34.6

Shoulder Room (in., front/rear) 53.7 / 52.4 53.6 / 52.3

Hiproom (in., front/rear) 51.9 / 51.0

Cargo Volume (cu. ft.) 12.0

Passenger Volume (cu. ft.) 90.9 88.4

Seating Capacity 5
I'm not surprised, I climbed into the back of a late-model honda, and I mistakenly thought it was an accord before the owner corrected me
Old 03-03-07, 12:20 PM
RXISF
Rookie

We bought the IS to have fun driving it - who cares if people can't fit in the back. I don't want them scuffing up my interior anyway.
Old 03-03-07, 07:58 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is250asu
We bought the IS to have fun driving it - who cares if people can't fit in the back. I don't want them scuffing up my interior anyway.
Did you forgot you bought a sedan?
Old 03-04-07, 11:16 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
Hope this helps !

Our IS has the worst Rear Leg Room in its class.

The IS wins in the Front Leg Room category together with the G35. Both cars have 43.9 inches.

Another sad story is the Front Head Room comparison. Our IS again got the lowest score in this category with 37.2 inches followed by the TSX with 37.8 inches.

See the 9 post in this thread for more info.
Assuming you sat in the car before you drove off and you fit comfortably who gives a r.ts a.. It's a moot point and not worth discussing........is it?
Old 03-04-07, 02:08 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Assuming you sat in the car before you drove off and you fit comfortably who gives a r.ts a.. It's a moot pointg and not worth discussing........is it?
Still, the IS is a sedan. Let me repeat the word, a sedan, a sedan !!

The two doors you have on the back on the car were made to be open by a human being (family member or a friend) so that the back seats could be used for the purpose they were made for, sitting a human being comfortably on them.
Old 03-05-07, 01:05 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

At the end of the day, the Is is a medium sports sedan. It would not be advantagous if Lexus made it any bigger nor are any benefits in doing so. The car is targeted for the youngins who prefer a stylish and classy 4 doorer for the accasional pickups/dropoff of more than 1 body. Why create something if it isnt going to be intended for what's it's not?

Of all the sports medium size sedans, none has better looks, design nor comfort than the Is. In my mind it's better to be cosy than loose...and always better trimmed than fat (unused).
Old 03-05-07, 04:54 AM
punky34
Driver School Candidate

When all of our friends want to crowd into a car mine gets passed up, GREAT! I don't have to lug all of them around only the one sweet girl who will love me in the front passenger seat with ME. hehehehe. check myspace.
Old 03-05-07, 02:50 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ldc
At the end of the day, the Is is a medium sports sedan. It would not be advantagous if Lexus made it any bigger nor are any benefits in doing so. The car is targeted for the youngins who prefer a stylish and classy 4 doorer for the accasional pickups/dropoff of more than 1 body. Why create something if it isnt going to be intended for what's it's not?

Of all the sports medium size sedans, none has better looks, design nor comfort than the Is. In my mind it's better to be cosy than loose...and always better trimmed than fat (unused).
Originally Posted by punky34
When all of our friends want to crowd into a car mine gets passed up, GREAT! I don't have to lug all of them around only the one sweet girl who will love me in the front passenger seat with ME. hehehehe. check myspace.
Completely agree ! That's why I love to mingle with my brothers and sister of CL. Worthy of the CL annals !
Old 03-15-07, 04:55 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Well, I think the small size of IS doesn't make sense for a 4 dr sedan. Unless Lexus is completely gearing this towards the market of young buyers. BMW 3 series and G35 all have more reasonable space and still drive very well.

I consider cross shop with ES350, but that's just too different of a car...

And since vehicle reliability is an important thing to us, maybe we'll have to pick G35?
Old 03-15-07, 09:48 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
Still, the IS is a sedan. Let me repeat the word, a sedan, a sedan !!

The two doors you have on the back on the car were made to be open by a human being (family member or a friend) so that the back seats could be used for the purpose they were made for, sitting a human being comfortably on them.
I hauled around my wife and her daughter in the rear seat (both are 5'4") and neither complained about not having enough leg room. OK, it's not big but it does the job for us (that's who I bought the car for after all)

Again, if it meets YOUR needs what's the problem???

Quick Reply: Lexus IS - Leg & Head Room (Vehicle comparison)