IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wheels, lowered and spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 09:43 AM
aira
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that's a lot of work. I love the way they look on MrMark car, but I may hold off on this project.

Originally Posted by gassman
Spacers are from a guy in Cali, 12mm front 17mm rear, wheel/hub centric=no vidrations at 130-140mph! Yes, you do need longer studs(ARPs for the IS 300 work) Studs need to be cut about 1/2" front and 3/4" rear. Check out javyLSU he has pics of them and contact info in his thread.
Old 02-28-07, 11:08 AM
1022it
Pole Position

wheel spacing is highly frowned upon where i come from (off-road industry) they produce extra wear on your axles and bearings beacuse wheels are further than designed, projecting the load of the vehicle further away from the bearings.

i am willing to bet a lot of money that putting wheel spacers voids the warranty on your rear diff and front ball joints. not to mention front axles if you have the awd model.
Old 02-28-07, 01:17 PM
gassman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1022it
wheel spacing is highly frowned upon where i come from (off-road industry) they produce extra wear on your axles and bearings beacuse wheels are further than designed, projecting the load of the vehicle further away from the bearings.

i am willing to bet a lot of money that putting wheel spacers voids the warranty on your rear diff and front ball joints. not to mention front axles if you have the awd model.
Maybe in the offroad crowd (spacers are several inches in width) but not when you are talking about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch. This will not put extra loads on you bearings.
Old 02-28-07, 02:52 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, lowering will give a neg camber(that's good) but as a result the wheels/tires get sucked in and look abnormal.
But do they look that bad??
Old 02-28-07, 03:12 PM
1022it
Pole Position

Maybe in the offroad crowd (spacers are several inches in width) but not when you are talking about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch. This will not put extra loads on you bearings.
your main bearings are only what, 3/4" long tapered bearings? project your axis line another 1/4" and you have 33% increased moment load on that bearing. every pound you hold up and every bump you hit impacts that bearing 33% harder. it also affects your ball joints the same way, but much less percentage, because you are projecting perpendicluar to the distance between the ball joints (16"?) you won't have as much of an issue with your ball joints as your bearings.

i am not arguing, i am only making sure that everyone is warned about the negative effects this possibly has on your vehicle.

Look into the facts about them:
Wheel spacers wider than 1/4" are illegal in Pennsylvania.
On just about ANY race track, wheel spacers are strictly forbidden.
Why would people prohibit them?! maybe because they are dangerous? becuse they dont want wheels flying off of cars everywhere?

any engineers want to help me out?
Old 02-28-07, 04:15 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't too large a spacer affect steering geometry?!
Old 02-28-07, 04:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Car looks great.. Definitley bringing the car to the next level..
Old 03-02-07, 07:03 AM
gassman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1022it
your main bearings are only what, 3/4" long tapered bearings? project your axis line another 1/4" and you have 33% increased moment load on that bearing. every pound you hold up and every bump you hit impacts that bearing 33% harder. it also affects your ball joints the same way, but much less percentage, because you are projecting perpendicluar to the distance between the ball joints (16"?) you won't have as much of an issue with your ball joints as your bearings.

i am not arguing, i am only making sure that everyone is warned about the negative effects this possibly has on your vehicle.

Look into the facts about them:
Wheel spacers wider than 1/4" are illegal in Pennsylvania.
On just about ANY race track, wheel spacers are strictly forbidden.
Why would people prohibit them?! maybe because they are dangerous? becuse they dont want wheels flying off of cars everywhere?

any engineers want to help me out?

Regulating the quality of spacers in racing evens is too much hassel so they just ban them. If you get quality made hub/wheel centric spacers so that the stress is taken off the studs then I think it is acceptable. Now for the stress on the bearings you are probably right, but we are talking 12mm not 2-3" so I am not too worried.
Old 03-02-07, 10:31 AM
neova
Pole Position

i would rather get lower offset rims designed to push the wheel flush with fenders than spacers... The wheel is designed to support the vehicle's weight at a designated point in the suspension assembly and with the spacer you would push that point out further. Would this not put more stress on the suspension than the OEM designated point???
Old 03-02-07, 11:42 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

The ISPs look very nice in your car. Now I'm back to being confused between ISP vs. G-Spider vs. X-Package wheels.
Old 03-18-07, 05:18 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's clear somthing up here - these are not "spacers" in the traditional sense. They are custom-made, hub- AND wheel-centric adapters. Ordinary spacers are not a good thing, because by shifting the load from the wheel hub to the studs, the weight of the vehicle is not properly supported. These adapters have a hub machined into them so that the weight of the vehicle lies on the hub, where it belongs, and NOT the wheel studs. They are more expensive than the ordinary spacers (H&R, etc), but custom-made, quality products always are. Of course getting wheels with a lower offset is easier/better, but that kind of cash layout is not always in everyone's budget, and some people just plain like the look of the stock wheels.

Gassman, your car looks fantastic!
Old 03-18-07, 06:22 PM
Sundance
Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Let's clear somthing up here - these are not "spacers" in the traditional sense. They are custom-made, hub- AND wheel-centric adapters. Ordinary spacers are not a good thing, because by shifting the load from the wheel hub to the studs, the weight of the vehicle is not properly supported. These adapters have a hub machined into them so that the weight of the vehicle lies on the hub, where it belongs, and NOT the wheel studs. They are more expensive than the ordinary spacers (H&R, etc), but custom-made, quality products always are. Of course getting wheels with a lower offset is easier/better, but that kind of cash layout is not always in everyone's budget, and some people just plain like the look of the stock wheels.

Gassman, your car looks fantastic!
Well that answers my question about the hubcentric spacers. Thankyou !

I can't seem to find the wheel studs.

Can someone be more specific on where to buy them ?

Thanks in advance

Sundance
Old 03-18-07, 07:11 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Complete write-up is here, and the studs I bought here. Once on the website for the extended studs, click on the drop-down menu and look for the "LEXES IS300 WHEEL STUD." He may not be able to spell, but he sure can ship some studs - I ordered on a Thursday and had my studs Friday.

Javier
Old 03-18-07, 11:08 PM
Sundance
Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Complete write-up is here, and the studs I bought here. Once on the website for the extended studs, click on the drop-down menu and look for the "LEXES IS300 WHEEL STUD." He may not be able to spell, but he sure can ship some studs - I ordered on a Thursday and had my studs Friday.

Javier
Perfect and Thanks.

I spoke with George and he will have the spacers to me by the end of next week. Can't hardly wait !

Widening the stance combined with the Eibach Pro kit will set the car off just right.

Anything in particular I should know or keep in mind with regards to specs for George ?

Sundance
Old 03-19-07, 01:33 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

omg.. cleaning brake dust must be a nightmare.

Quick Reply: Wheels, lowered and spacers