IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS 250 AWD Brake Vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 11:12 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 IS 250 AWD Brake Vibrates

Hi, not sure if anyone is having this problem. If I step on the brake, my car starts the vibration on the car is greater than driving/parking. It is not a huge vibration but I can still tell the difference, I wonder if this is normal. I got a brand new car it has 14 mileages when I drove out.
Old 02-23-07, 12:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on it now? It sounds like your rotors could be warped. The dealer should fix it under warranty, but they would probably just resurface them. If they do resurface the rotors, they will probably warp again. Try to get them to actually replace them.
Old 02-23-07, 01:21 PM
trio
Driver

I'm not sure if it's warped rotors since its an 07 and he said the car was brand new. Regardless, you should really have the dealer check it out.

Best of luck.
Old 02-23-07, 02:01 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

In my experience brand new brakes are MUCH easier to warp than brakes that have plenty of miles (heat cycles) on them. If they are warped, then they probably weren't broken in properly.
Old 02-23-07, 02:21 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

its only 250 mileage now, not sure if it is the motor. The vibration is so low, if I take it to the dealer I believe they will say it is normal lol.
Old 02-23-07, 02:25 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

When you wash your car do you allow your rotors to cool down before showering them with cold water?
Old 02-23-07, 02:54 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Describe the vibration in more detail. Warped front rotors will cause the steering wheel to shake when the brakes are applied, and the speed of the shaking is directly related to speed.
Old 02-23-07, 03:11 PM
is_wil
Driver

If it is your rotors, it's because there was an extremely heavy brake evnt in your cars short history. If this isn't the case and there hasn't been any heavy braking (or did someone test drive it before you bought it and do it?), then what you may be feeling are simply severely unbalanced tires that you can detect under braking only - leave it alone though, and it could cause your rotors to warp as contact with the ground is sporadic, especially under heavy braking. In the long run, it will even cause your tires to wear unevenly and feather (from yahoo: feathered or directional wear pattern where the tread feels smooth when you run your hand across it one way, but feels rough when you rub it in the opposite direction)...

Last .02 cents, if the re-balancing doesn't fix it, then I would push for a resolution as to whether it is warped rotors, damaged supsension components, etc...it will cost you extra money in the long run as your replace tires and rotors more often if you just leave it alone...
Old 02-23-07, 09:08 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zephyr
When you wash your car do you allow your rotors to cool down before showering them with cold water?
I haven't wash my car yet.

Originally Posted by Gernby
Describe the vibration in more detail. Warped front rotors will cause the steering wheel to shake when the brakes are applied, and the speed of the shaking is directly related to speed.
Yes when I apply the brake, the steering wheel kinda shake with a little vibration. but if I park or accelerate the shaking goes away.

Originally Posted by is_wil
If it is your rotors, it's because there was an extremely heavy brake evnt in your cars short history. If this isn't the case and there hasn't been any heavy braking (or did someone test drive it before you bought it and do it?), then what you may be feeling are simply severely unbalanced tires that you can detect under braking only - leave it alone though, and it could cause your rotors to warp as contact with the ground is sporadic, especially under heavy braking. In the long run, it will even cause your tires to wear unevenly and feather (from yahoo: feathered or directional wear pattern where the tread feels smooth when you run your hand across it one way, but feels rough when you rub it in the opposite direction)...

Last .02 cents, if the re-balancing doesn't fix it, then I would push for a resolution as to whether it is warped rotors, damaged supsension components, etc...it will cost you extra money in the long run as your replace tires and rotors more often if you just leave it alone...
I never heavy brake my car, I always do it firmly. If the tires are unbalance I would get that exclaimation mark isn't it? when the PSI goes under a certain point.
Old 02-23-07, 09:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If your wheels / tires weren't balanced, it would shake whether your brakes were applied or not. I think your rotors are warped, and need to be replaced (not resurfaced).
Old 02-23-07, 10:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I think they just need to be properly bedded. That's what I would do first.
Old 02-23-07, 10:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

While I agree that they weren't properly bedded to begin with, I haven't ever heard of someone undoing something like this. I've read articles about how improperly bedded brakes can cause uneven distribution of pad material on the rotors which can cause them to seem warped, but those articles didn't say what the solution was.
Old 02-23-07, 11:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Scuff the rotors with an aggressive pad briefly (like Hawk Blues) to remove the old pad material, put the pads you want to run back in, and bed them properly. Or just do a series of low speed stops that don't generate alot of heat to literally grind off the material, then bed them in (again) so you get an even coating.

The only time this doesn't work is when there are black spots from overheating on the rotor. The black spots are cementite, and once this happens the rotor will never be the same again no matter how many times you try to turn or grind it.
Old 02-24-07, 10:42 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Scuff the rotors with an aggressive pad briefly (like Hawk Blues) to remove the old pad material, put the pads you want to run back in, and bed them properly. Or just do a series of low speed stops that don't generate alot of heat to literally grind off the material, then bed them in (again) so you get an even coating.

The only time this doesn't work is when there are black spots from overheating on the rotor. The black spots are cementite, and once this happens the rotor will never be the same again no matter how many times you try to turn or grind it.
I don't know anything about rotors, and how they work beside it has something to do with the brake lol. Anyway, I won't be able to apply a pad material or anything because I don't know anything about cars basically... so what's my best bet?
Old 02-24-07, 11:55 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjaix
I haven't wash my car yet.

Yes when I apply the brake, the steering wheel kinda shake with a little vibration. but if I park or accelerate the shaking goes away.

I never heavy brake my car, I always do it firmly. If the tires are unbalance I would get that exclaimation mark isn't it? when the PSI goes under a certain point.
does it has something to do with brake assist? just wondering........

Quick Reply: 2007 IS 250 AWD Brake Vibrates