Current G35 coupe vs Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 06:33 PM
JRIS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Current G35 coupe vs Lexus IS

Hello everyone

As most of you may already be aware, I've been having some problems with my IS250 ..I was recently debating and I might come to the decision of getting another car, which will most likely be an 07' IS or the current
model Infiniti G35...pending on financial issues etc...I would really like to stay w/ Lexus..they're great cars...but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from previous G35 owners, or ppl that know what the car's all about...that have switched over to Lexus ISX50s..Is the G35 worth getting?? any problems/recalls? advantages/disadvantages over the IS? Im curious enough as to test drive it this coming weekend..Any help and suggestions / advice would be very much appreciated..Thank you !

[Moderator] I understand its a forum geared towards our awesome car didnt mean to post or start a thread with Infiniti stuff on it..I just want current IS owners to compare

For those who would like to know why Im considering this...please go here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=engine+valve

Last edited by JRIS250; 02-19-07 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-18-07, 06:35 PM
LexFather

I'd wait for the new G35c which should be out in the fall possibly and then compare that to the IS.
Old 02-18-07, 06:39 PM
JRIS250
Rookie

Default This guy ???

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh..._side_view.jpg
Old 02-18-07, 06:41 PM
JRIS250
Rookie

Anyone out there ????
Old 02-18-07, 06:51 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Sometimes you have to wait for more than 2 minutes to get a responce. But yeah, that guy, althought that is a concept so the production version is likely to look slightly different.
Old 02-18-07, 07:00 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JRIS250
Hello everyone

As most of you may already be aware, I've been having some problems with my IS250 ..I was recently debating and I might come to the decision of getting another car, which will most likely be an 07' IS or the current
model Infiniti G35...pending on financial issues etc...I would really like to stay w/ Lexus..they're great cars...but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from previous G35 owners, or ppl that know what the car's all about...that have switched over to Lexus ISX50s..Is the G35 worth getting?? any problems/recalls? advantages/disadvantages over the IS? Im curious enough as to test drive it this coming weekend..Any help and suggestions / advice would be very much appreciated..Thank you !

[Moderator] I understand its a forum geared towards our awesome car didnt mean to post or start a threat with Infiniti stuff on it..I just want current IS owners to compare

For those who would like to know why Im considering this...please go here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=engine+valve
I think the G35 is worth getting.. I just took a ride in my friends 06 coupe and man is that fast.. the body lines are nice, great looking interior and tons of HP.. Very quick and smooth for a sports car..I also like the 4 door.. Very stylish and 306 ponies under the hood.. The sport model is priced very well IMO for what you get..
Old 02-18-07, 09:49 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My last 2 cars were g35's (an '03 sedan and an '04 6mt coupe.)

G35 pros:
1. Looks of the coupe: it's one of the best looking reasonably priced coupes out on the market, period.
2. Exhaust tone is awesome.
3. Aftermarket parts availability is huge compared to the IS for the moment.
4. Power and handling are more than adequate

G35 cons:
1. Quality: there is a reason g35's cost less. Own one for any length of time and they'll become very apparent. Issues I had with both my g's include a pull to the right, grease streaks on the windows, rocking seats, rattles galore, front tire inner tire feathering, etc.
2. Infiniti service after the sale sucks donkey d*ck. The dealerships and Infiniti Corporate work against you for warranty work by setting up barriers. You can get your seat rails replaced twice but if they still rock after that, Infiniti won't fix it for you. You're out of luck. After 5 years, you would think that they could design adequate seat rails. M35/45 owners seem to have the same issue.

There were faulty suspension compression rods that caused a heavy pull to the right. My sedan had this issue but Infiniti issued a TSB only for the coupe. I talked to the dealership and Infiniti Corporate and they wouldn't do anything for my sedan saying the suspension parts were different. 6 months later, they applied the TSB to the sedan also as they couldn't deny all of us who were having this issue. However, they wouldn't perform the TSB on my sedan because my car didn't cross completely over into the next lane within 7 seconds per the TSB. (It took about 9-10 seconds on a perfectly flat road.)

Owning the Lexus/IS is a completely different story. (I've had an RX330 since '04) Lexus is proactive when it comes to problems. My service advisor rocks and can actually fix something when needed. I've had no issues with the IS so far though.

The IS tracks straight, the seat doesn't rock back and forth, no grease streaks on the windows, the ML is in a different league compared to the blose in the G, and best of all, no rattles even on a rock/dirt road with potholes. The G's had many rattles on a smooth highway that drilled into your head like chinese water torture. The MB Quart, JL amps and W7 system I had in them couldn't even drown them out.
Old 02-18-07, 10:22 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by al503
My last 2 cars were g35's (an '03 sedan and an '04 6mt coupe.)

G35 pros:
1. Looks of the coupe: it's one of the best looking reasonably priced coupes out on the market, period.
2. Exhaust tone is awesome.
3. Aftermarket parts availability is huge compared to the IS for the moment.
4. Power and handling are more than adequate

G35 cons:
1. Quality: there is a reason g35's cost less. Own one for any length of time and they'll become very apparent. Issues I had with both my g's include a pull to the right, grease streaks on the windows, rocking seats, rattles galore, front tire inner tire feathering, etc.
2. Infiniti service after the sale sucks donkey d*ck. The dealerships and Infiniti Corporate work against you for warranty work by setting up barriers. You can get your seat rails replaced twice but if they still rock after that, Infiniti won't fix it for you. You're out of luck. After 5 years, you would think that they could design adequate seat rails. M35/45 owners seem to have the same issue.

There were faulty suspension compression rods that caused a heavy pull to the right. My sedan had this issue but Infiniti issued a TSB only for the coupe. I talked to the dealership and Infiniti Corporate and they wouldn't do anything for my sedan saying the suspension parts were different. 6 months later, they applied the TSB to the sedan also as they couldn't deny all of us who were having this issue. However, they wouldn't perform the TSB on my sedan because my car didn't cross completely over into the next lane within 7 seconds per the TSB. (It took about 9-10 seconds on a perfectly flat road.)

Owning the Lexus/IS is a completely different story. (I've had an RX330 since '04) Lexus is proactive when it comes to problems. My service advisor rocks and can actually fix something when needed. I've had no issues with the IS so far though.

The IS tracks straight, the seat doesn't rock back and forth, no grease streaks on the windows, the ML is in a different league compared to the blose in the G, and best of all, no rattles even on a rock/dirt road with potholes. The G's had many rattles on a smooth highway that drilled into your head like chinese water torture. The MB Quart, JL amps and W7 system I had in them couldn't even drown them out.
Wow After reading this post I'm glad I got the IS over the G35c. I was really debating between the two.
Old 02-18-07, 10:31 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting thread because before I bought my new IS250, I actually considered the Infinit G35 sedan. So basically it wsa like the G35 sedan vs IS350. I ended up with a 250 lol, but besides the point, the G35 is a much, much better deal. You get the same thing for the Lexus, plus more power for much less too!!!!! That alone will turn heads.

Why did I stick with Lexus? Toyota quality and excellent customer service. Infiniti, I don't know how they do in that category, but Lexus is PROVEN. If it wasn't for that, screw the IS.
Old 02-18-07, 10:37 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

Ur in a win win situation. Both cars are sick. My sis has a g35 coupe and she loves it, but she always has problems with it. Huge brake problems in her car too.
Old 02-18-07, 10:38 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the G35's are sweet cars but you have to question their reliability.
Old 02-18-07, 10:59 PM
krookid
Driver

I currently own both, different driving expieriences, none with a distinct advantage, both have there advantages/disadvantages, can't comment on the rattles(i have a big sytem in both and extensive dynomat) love shifting gears some days, hate it some days, but the reason I still have 2 G35's? I change my mind so often, I figured instead of getting killed on trades just have both. Really you can't go wrong both great cars, but the Lexus "expierience" is much more enjoyable from sale to warranty to just being treated like "someone" when you are at the dealership.
Old 02-18-07, 11:00 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

the new four door looks great, almost like a small sports version of the m45
Old 02-19-07, 01:37 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fiko18
the new four door looks great, almost like a small sports version of the m45
That's pretty much what it is