IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FronT plate HOLES!!! AHHH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 10:29 PM
LEWIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FronT plate HOLES!!! AHHH!!!

ok so i just bought my is 250 from stevens creek lexus here in san jose ca, well it was sunday that i purchased the car. anyways i remember when i was signing the paper work they squeezed in this paper stating that they gave me all the needed equipment to put my front plate on as required by law.. so i signed it .. anyways i saw all these nice IS' around with out front plates. and i've also noticed alot here on CL. so today was my first car wash day and so i decided to take my front plate off.. WELL TO MY SUPRISE THERE ARE 2 HUGE HOLES AND 2 SMALLER SCRATCHED HOLES ABOVE THEM IN MY BRAND NEW 2007 IS 250 !!!! GOD I WANT TO SUE THOSE EFFF'ERS....
Old 02-17-07, 10:42 PM
Sundance
Driver

That hurts.

I hate front plates so I went the extra mile.

I know this does not help you but it might help others who are getting ready to purchase an IS and don't want front plates.

Sundance
Old 02-17-07, 10:57 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

You can either go with Bumperplugs or get them patched and painted at a bodyshop
Old 02-17-07, 11:29 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain brother. I just decided to deal with it :/
Old 02-17-07, 11:41 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, when you realized your car has a front license plate on it, as you were taking it off for the car wash, wouldn't you already know there are holes?
Old 02-17-07, 11:52 PM
mail_junky
Rookie

Lewis, I actually purchased my IS350 through Stevens Creek and went through the same ordeal !!

I told my saleslady multiple times over the phone and through email and still got my bumper drilled!! Mine was an allocation and she was supposed to tell the PDI people to not drill the bumper when the car arrived. She said she was not around when the car arrived and those people drilled.

Then a few days later I ran into another fellow in a Staples parking lot with
an IS350 also with holes in his front bumper. I chatted with him and it turned
out he worked for Magnussens Lexus and was going to get his holes patched
by his buddy there. He said he could get mine patched if I wanted but I
never followed up. If you want you can PM me and I can send you his
info.

Originally Posted by LEWIS250
ok so i just bought my is 250 from stevens creek lexus here in san jose ca, well it was sunday that i purchased the car. anyways i remember when i was signing the paper work they squeezed in this paper stating that they gave me all the needed equipment to put my front plate on as required by law.. so i signed it .. anyways i saw all these nice IS' around with out front plates. and i've also noticed alot here on CL. so today was my first car wash day and so i decided to take my front plate off.. WELL TO MY SUPRISE THERE ARE 2 HUGE HOLES AND 2 SMALLER SCRATCHED HOLES ABOVE THEM IN MY BRAND NEW 2007 IS 250 !!!! GOD I WANT TO SUE THOSE EFFF'ERS....
Old 02-18-07, 06:32 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Believe it or not it is not the end of the world. Either obey the law and keep your front plates on the car, or take it in to get filled and painted.

I don't understand why you are surprised there are two holes in your bumper after the plate was mounted. How else would it be attached?
Old 02-18-07, 06:41 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're in a state that requires a front plate, there's no issue here. Put the plate back on and you won't see the holes, or patch them and move somewhere else.

Old 02-18-07, 10:16 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

I too made it clear that I did NOT want holes in the front bumper. I told them that if they drilled the holes I would not be buying the car.

An aside - when I bought my wife's BMW X5, I told them the same thing. Came to pick up the car after tint, it had the holes in the front bumper. I refused the car and requested a new X5 or I would take my business elsewhere, nevertheless, she had a new X5 identical to the one we bought the next morning.

At that point, it was a matter of principal, I'm the damn customer paying $40k+++, pay attention to the small details, and atleast give me what I want...

Peter
Old 02-18-07, 10:27 AM
LEWIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by houstonT
I too made it clear that I did NOT want holes in the front bumper. I told them that if they drilled the holes I would not be buying the car.

An aside - when I bought my wife's BMW X5, I told them the same thing. Came to pick up the car after tint, it had the holes in the front bumper. I refused the car and requested a new X5 or I would take my business elsewhere, nevertheless, she had a new X5 identical to the one we bought the next morning.

At that point, it was a matter of principal, I'm the damn customer paying $40k+++, pay attention to the small details, and atleast give me what I want...

Peter

words to live by!!
yeah i bought mine from kristina from stevens creek .. you know the email salewomen.. that sends her pic in every email to make sure you recognize here when you go there so she has a fighting chance over the other salesmen. . . but again with the plate i for some moranic reason believed that there we're magnets of some sort or somthing other than 2 huge drilled holes .. i mean these holes arn't clean drilled.. you can see how they forced there entrance! i guess im just going to have to put the front plates on ... when they come in haha.. anyways thankx for helping me cope
Old 02-18-07, 10:30 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Damage to other cars from front plate screws

You'd think Lexus (and all car makers) could come up with a better way to attach front plates than to screw them to a place in the front bumper that is likely, at some point, to come in contact with the rear bumper of another car.

Just last week a Grand Am (severely handicapped driver) hit my rear bumper pretty hard (neck hurt!) when I was stopped at a traffic light. The two front license plate screws on the Grand Am did a surprising amount of scarring on my rear bumper. There was more damage than just that ... car to body shop next week ...

My rear bumper was hit almost as hard last year by a Jeep Liberty (woman applying make-up) while I was stopped at a traffic light, but there was no front license plate or screws, the bumpers matched up perfectly and there was no damage.

The rear bumper of my previous Lexus was hit in 2002 by a Ford Taurus (woman talking on phone) while I was stopped at a traffic light and a front license plate screw, sticking out about 1/2 inch, put a hole right through my rear bumper cover.

If you have to have a front plate, be sure to use screws with very low profile heads.
Old 02-18-07, 10:41 AM
tgara
Pole Position

I feel everyone's pain on holes in the bumper! Darn dealers just don't get it.

My 06 Lincoln LS had holes in the bumper due to "company policy" of installing the license plate bracket as soon as the new cars are put on the lot. I searched for a good way of fixing the holes, and even purchased a set of plugs from bumperplugs.com. However, the paint did not match well at all (my car is a tricoat white, similar to the Lexus Crystal White).

So I made my own bumper plugs. I got a few sizes of plastic bodypanel fasteners at the hardware store (10 cents each) and determined which size fit best in the holes in my bumper. Then I painted them myself using some paint leftover from when I painted my satellite radio antenna. I am very happy with the results. Best part is that I can remove the plugs and reinstall the bracket for inspection, sale, etc.
Attached Thumbnails FronT plate HOLES!!! AHHH!!!-plugz4.jpg  
Old 02-18-07, 10:42 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Here's the finished shot. The paint matches perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails FronT plate HOLES!!! AHHH!!!-plugz1.jpg  
Old 02-18-07, 01:35 PM
acsan
Driver

Originally Posted by tgara
Here's the finished shot. The paint matches perfectly!
Great job! Your holes seem smaller than those I've seen so far.
Old 02-18-07, 02:27 PM
rhsmd
Driver

Originally Posted by LEWIS250

Get over it. you live in a state thate REQUIRES front plates. you're not above the law.

asfor low profile front screws my deales puts on "nice front and rear plate frames, with screw caps. their way of doing their own advertising. ok with me

Quick Reply: FronT plate HOLES!!! AHHH!!!