Weather/Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 08:00 AM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather/Gas Mileage

So here is my question.

Im in Chicago and it's been below 0 here for the last two weeks or so and I have noticed a drop in my average tank mileage for the last 2 or 3 fillups. I drive the same route everyday 40 mile to work 40 mile back home. I have gone from 27 MPG to 22MPG and I have not changed my driving style at all. 35 of the 40 miles is highway. So does anyone thing the tempurature has something to do with it or should I take it in?

Thanks,
Niko
Old 02-07-07, 08:08 AM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I just say the other thread posted right before mine....I guess im not the only one, thats good to know
Old 02-07-07, 08:33 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NikoAWD
So here is my question.

Im in Chicago and it's been below 0 here for the last two weeks or so and I have noticed a drop in my average tank mileage for the last 2 or 3 fillups. I drive the same route everyday 40 mile to work 40 mile back home. I have gone from 27 MPG to 22MPG and I have not changed my driving style at all. 35 of the 40 miles is highway. So does anyone thing the tempurature has something to do with it or should I take it in?

Thanks,
Niko
Where in Chicago are you located?
Old 02-07-07, 09:03 AM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

Ryan,
I live in LaGrange, Bought the IS @ McGrath
Old 02-07-07, 09:23 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Your gas mileage readout will be much lower if you start your car and leave it idling to warm up before you drive it to work.
Old 02-07-07, 09:34 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Ryan,
I live in LaGrange, Bought the IS @ McGrath
Wow, cool. I am down the street in Oak Brook... I purchased at McGrath as well...
Old 02-07-07, 09:52 AM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

This was my 5th car from McGrath...
2 ES 300
1 RX 300
1 GX 470
1 IS 250

I only have one "problem" with them. That is that it seem that everytime i take my cars there for service, I get a ding, scratch and the last time i took the IS in there was grease all over the steering wheel, head liner. They detailed the entire car for free but now im having that "Gas Mileage" problem and was just wondering if they could have done something to it, "the tech" that is....Have you had good luck there?
Old 02-07-07, 10:56 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

This was my 5th car from McGrath...
2 ES 300
1 RX 300
1 GX 470
1 IS 250

I only have one "problem" with them. That is that it seem that everytime i take my cars there for service, I get a ding, scratch and the last time i took the IS in there was grease all over the steering wheel, head liner. They detailed the entire car for free but now im having that "Gas Mileage" problem and was just wondering if they could have done something to it, "the tech" that is....Have you had good luck there?
Funny you mentioned, I had a similar problem last time I took my car in to have the seat looked at. I got the car back with a half-dollar sized door ding and the seat looked like crap compared to when I brought it in. I called there in such a stench of anger and was real hesitant to take the car back there to get fixed. Turns out that they replaced the seat and detailed the car and got rid of the dent.

We've had 3 cars from there, but all of this leaves me wondering how Lexus of Naperville is....
Old 02-07-07, 11:11 AM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

I agree,, its just McGrath is so close!!!!!
Unlike "most" other CL members, I do get my car wash there almost every weekend. I dont keep cars long enough to worry about all the differents soaps and brushes, I get it detailed 2 a year and it looks new after..2 or 3 years I trade it in on a new model anyway.
Old 02-07-07, 11:13 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Where do you get your details at? Fullers?
Old 02-07-07, 11:19 AM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

"I-Detail" on Joliet Rd. in Countryside.. thats all they do. The building use to be the old McGrath Acura Dealership. Fullers is good for a "quick-wax" every month or so 35.00 and the car shines!!
Old 02-07-07, 11:44 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeesh guys ... take it off-line please ...
Old 02-07-07, 11:54 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

"I-Detail" on Joliet Rd. in Countryside.. thats all they do. The building use to be the old McGrath Acura Dealership. Fullers is good for a "quick-wax" every month or so 35.00 and the car shines!!
Agreed, for $35, its a good deal.

I know where that building is on Joliet Road... I will have to check it out, I didn't know a detailer moved in there..

BTW, I checked and my mpg is down to 21.6 right now, when I am normally in the 25's or 26's. Maybe its having the heat on high too. That combined with the fact that my car idles so much higher upon startup
Old 02-07-07, 02:28 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

So here is my question.

Thanks,
Niko
Yes, I have a 2006 AWD and my mileage never goes below 22 on my normal commute. Since this cold snap, it has stayed below 18 MPG.

BTW - I grew up in LaGrange... small world huh? Bought the Lexus at McGrath on Division. I live in Chicago now.

Mike
Old 02-07-07, 06:51 PM
Pwyll
Driver

This killer 20-degree weather here in NY is definitely f'ing up my gas mileage. Whoever said in earlier threads that it should be better, is wrong.

Also, no matter how long you warm it up, it still doesn't shift the same. Hard to explain to folks in the warmer climates. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!!!!!

Quick Reply: Weather/Gas Mileage