IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?
Yes
42.21%
No
57.79%
Voters: 462. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 04:41 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones that I go to don't use brushes. I checked them out pretty good. These little plastic roving things go back and forth while spraying water, foam, wax, and stuff onto your car. Then it makes another round and spray again with water. There's no brushing, but does blow dry at the end of the cycle.

Disadvantage to this: It doesn't remove the dirt completely since no brushing occurs. I have to park somewhere when done and get a car rag out to go over the body. I dry it anyways (leftover water the blower didn't pick up) and at the same time, I pick up the remaining dirt with it too. It comes out looking pretty nice. The RainX is puts on gets rid of the water spots so the glass are spotless.

It's a pretty convienent way to get your car washed, especially since it's open 24 hours. I can go anytime and have the privacy of late nights to wipe it really good and take my time on the rims. It's like $6.00 regular wash and $7.00 with some special spray was and clear coat protectant added to it.

Interior detailing, I can do myself. I don't trust those car wash people with my car. I use to go to those places before and they can get pretty rough with your car. They tend to scrub so hard that eventually over time, you can see scratches on your instrument consoles. I do a gentle wipe to prevent that stuff from happening, plus the cloth I use is really soft (for cars). Plus, these car wash guys don't even know how to use my car, lol. They're like, uh, how do you put it in Neutral? Or, uh, how do you start it? I hate giving crash course on Lexus 101 just to get a car wash from someone.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 02-18-07 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 06:00 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, I've had them wash my car just for the hell of it while I was in Texas...and once here in Salt Lake and the only issue I have is that they don't dry it well enough......after I get home water streaks everywhere Never any swirl mark issues.
Old 02-18-07, 06:34 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
The ones that I go to don't use brushes. I checked them out pretty good. These little plastic roving things go back and forth while spraying water, foam, wax, and stuff onto your car. Then it makes another round and spray again with water. There's no brushing, but does blow dry at the end of the cycle.

Disadvantage to this: It doesn't remove the dirt completely since no brushing occurs. I have to park somewhere when done and get a car rag out to go over the body. I dry it anyways (leftover water the blower didn't pick up) and at the same time, I pick up the remaining dirt with it too. It comes out looking pretty nice. The RainX is puts on gets rid of the water spots so the glass are spotless.
If you're drying a car that's still dirty with a rag, you're scratching the heck out of your paint anyway. You're no better off than you would be going to a wash with abrasive brushes.
Old 02-18-07, 06:37 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Most of the dirt are off. You should've seen the car before right after the rain. It was fugly as hell. The car wash did wonders. I just simply wiped away the excess water. The dirt was minimal. No, it did not scratch. You really think I'd be stupid enough to scratch an expensive car like this? I don't think so.
Old 02-18-07, 07:43 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arlington Lexus in IL is pretty good at washing - mostly hand wash. But it usually is over 1 and almost 2 hour wait. Not worth my time so I simply get it done at a local car wash (they power blast first, then spray water, then tons of soap, then then the whole thing is hand washed). I think they purposely take a LONG time to wash your car sometimes so that we DON'T take advantage of their car wash.
Old 02-18-07, 07:50 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

There are a lot of dummies around here that's never seen my type of car before, so they're always like ,"how do you start your car?". Do you have to end up explaining to them how to do it?
Old 03-15-07, 06:18 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

I never seen how Lexus washes your car, but I saw it yesterday after that I would NEVER take it in for a car wash
Old 03-15-07, 07:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i do in the winter only but then again i lease my cars for 2 years and get rid of them so i dont ever have the car long enough...spring comes and she gets a good detail. got to love winter and a black car!
Old 03-22-07, 06:27 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing touches my baby except me! When i wash it i always use a nice clean sponge and microfiber mitt. and when i wax its always brand new applicator pads and brand new microfiber towels. When it comes to my customers cars i use old stuff.
Old 04-17-07, 10:30 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I either wash it myself with Griot's Garage ultimate cleaning kit

or if I'm freaking lazy I go to a nearby hand wash place that's pretty good.

I don't let machines touch my car =P

Unless it's the Random Orbital from Griot's.

And no, I'm not a spokesmen for their crap.

It's just their crap is kinda good =P

Washed my 2 tC's and Solara, they all came out blinding me
Old 04-17-07, 06:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I have been, but the more I read this thread the less I want to... Im just so lazy... I dont really like spending 3 hours washing my car, and especially hate it during the winter!
Old 04-30-07, 10:19 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jimjaix
I never seen how Lexus washes your car, but I saw it yesterday after that I would NEVER take it in for a car wash
How did they do it?
Old 05-01-07, 01:19 AM
mog79
Rookie

Default lexus of las vegas

i just got my is350 and used their free car wash for the first time today. seemed to come out looking alright. water conservation laws make it so you can't wash your cars on your own(or something to that effect) so you have to use car washes out here. so i figure might as well take advantage of the free lexus ones, can't be any worse than using other car washes out here in vegas, and i'd have to pay for those. like mentioned earlier, the dealer uses it to make their cars presentable to potential buyers so why not? im sure cops dont drive around neighborhoods here looking for violators of that law to ticket them but i haven't ever seen anyone wash their own cars at their house in the year i've lived here. wiped them down or polished but not actually washed.
Old 05-01-07, 05:16 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah when i goes in for work. they have never messed it up except for the time they blasted by red out's off but no biggie.
Old 05-01-07, 06:22 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Up until yesterday I had let the dealer wash it about 4 or 5 times. The rest of the washes were doing at a detailing chain. Yesterday I got the car detailed, no more scratches or swirls, so the dealer and the chain won't be touching it again.

Quick Reply: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?