IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?
Yes
42.21%
No
57.79%
Voters: 462. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 09:33 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gyung
Newport Lexus, my dealer/service, claims to have a 1 million dollar car wash with clothes and not brushes. I let them wash my IS350 Obsidian once, and it was actually ok. Maybe I had a lot of wax on it, but there weren't any noticable marks. Anyway, my service rep always asks me if I want a wash, because he knows I don't like them washing it. He actually reminded me this time I took it in and always leave a big red paper sign in the car just incase they miss the order.

I would wash myself. My 02 Subaru paint/coat/not sure has been destroyed in Indiana. I was in school, and lived in the dorms, so I couldn't wash it myself. I would take that thing through car washes all the time and there are swirls and scratches all over it even after waxing.
I too have Newport Lexus wash my car and each time it's better than the last. The first few times they did not clean the front rims very well but the past two washes have been near perfect. I bring it in every two weeks and get in and out usually under an hour...enjoy the espresso and new/current magazines, leather chairs, and free water No problem so far....

BTW: Your correct in that their wash setup is touch less and 'state of the art' and one of only a few in the country.....
Old 02-04-07, 01:37 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never trust dealer car washhh they drop those rags on the floor all the time
lots of rocks and sand are in those rags its like hitting your car with sand paper. Their polishing also suck, just zaino the car
Old 02-04-07, 09:30 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the summer I wash it myself, but in the winter you have to get it washed somewhere. My dealership in IL is Lexus of Highland Park. They do a good job. They have a special wash as well which apparently cost a lot of money. Of course there are some swirls, but that will happen anywhere thats not touchless. They have a nice waiting area with free food and drink which is convenient.
Old 02-04-07, 10:01 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Randh
I have a Tungsten Pearl car, so I have no problem letting them wash it.
+1. My stealership washes my car too.
Old 02-04-07, 03:06 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy washing my cars...I do a better job than anyone else and it gives me some exercize. JMLexus has a touchless wash so I'll use it under these conditions:

I have plenty of wax on the car
I don't have time
It's extremely dirty but it's going to rain soon and it doesn't make sense for me to spend hours on it.

They do a crummy job on the wheels though. Plus, the blower doesn't get all the water off. They do have a guy who hand dries it after it comes out. I gave him a 10 dollar tip. Hopefully he remembers when I ask him to get the wheels next time.
Old 02-04-07, 03:17 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

I did one time and they scratched my trunk...I took it back and they fixed it. But I have never gone back since. I just do it my self or if I am in a hurry I go to a touchless car wash.
Old 02-04-07, 03:31 PM
rhsmd
Driver

stupid question, but do all of the lexus dealers have an automatic car wash that they use?
my acura dealer washes my tl, but i never asked how.
i assumed some poor shmuck was out in the cold freezing his a** off.
also i know i could get the car washed with service at lexus, but will they just do it if you drive in for a wash?
Old 02-04-07, 04:40 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

glendale.... they gave me swirls.... anyway of gettin rid of 'em ?

also is there any good soap which gets water spots off easily?
Old 02-04-07, 08:46 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I always wash the car myself, however i did let them wash it when i had my 5k oil change and they did a pretty good job.
Old 02-04-07, 08:47 PM
DKB
Rookie

My Dealership hand washes as much as I want it done they have a square thing they drive into it lowers down wets it they wash it rinses then they do the wheels with another rag rinse thenand then Spotless rinse
Old 02-04-07, 09:32 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
glendale.... they gave me swirls.... anyway of gettin rid of 'em ?

also is there any good soap which gets water spots off easily?
Its called a porter cable, or rotary polishing device. Or get yourself a professional detail.
Old 02-05-07, 12:44 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the road salt on cars, I cringe when I see people go into those auto washes that use brushes (even soft brushes) all the salt gets on those and then it's back onto the next car.

I did the self spray wash today, nearly froze to death, but the baby was clean without scratches!
Old 02-05-07, 06:39 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

I always wash both of cars myself, my IS and my wife's GX, our dealership does an ok job, but the main reason I do it myself is we live in the Orlando area of FL, and we both dive Interstate 4 to goto work, and they have been doing alot of construction on it, so we both have the full bras on the car, and the dealership doesn't take off the Bra to wash the car, why I don't know, but they don't, so water will sit under it for days. So unless I remove the Bra before I go, plus you guys are right they always miss the wheels, and another thing they miss, which really pisses me off, they never left the mats inside the car to see if they need to be vacuumed under.
Old 02-05-07, 08:35 AM
jsteinwald
Rookie

Here's my wash setup...

CR Spotless to prevent water spots and once that dries a bit, I use an AirMax to literally "blow dry" my car. Better than a leaf blower, since the air is filtered and it's warmed. The AirMax is originally meant as a pet dryer for groomers, but my detailer recommended it for drying the car. Now all I need is a power washer so no pads or towels need to touch my car.

May sound excessive, but the car is black, so it's a necessity in my mind.
Old 02-05-07, 09:44 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a Metador Red and I don't have any problems with that. It is -10F here so indoor wash is always nice.

Can we ever ABUSE that? (like use it toooooo many times)

Quick Reply: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?