IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rain sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 06:11 AM
kiprich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rain sensor

I drive a Lexus IS220d (diesel) in the Netherlands, and I have a small problem, hope one of you can help me out....

I have the IS220d Business, this car comes without the standard Lexus rain sensor (why, oh why!!!). I want to install a rain sensor, because I think it's is a must have on a Lexus.

Can anyone tell me if the official Lexus rain sensor can be installed by the dealer, or do I have to search for an aftermarket sensor?

thanks....
Old 01-17-07, 07:34 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kiprich
I drive a Lexus IS220d (diesel) in the Netherlands, and I have a small problem, hope one of you can help me out....

I have the IS220d Business, this car comes without the standard Lexus rain sensor (why, oh why!!!). I want to install a rain sensor, because I think it's is a must have on a Lexus.

Can anyone tell me if the official Lexus rain sensor can be installed by the dealer, or do I have to search for an aftermarket sensor?

thanks....
If it is even possible, IMO I don't think its worth the trouble. The rain sensor can be quirky at times and not clean the windshield when it is fully coated in water. I say just keep the standard windsheild wiper system.
Old 01-17-07, 07:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do they have a product called RainX over there? I prefer it over the wipers...but you have to be going fast enough for the wind to clear the windshield (40+ mph)

off topic....what kind of mileage does the 220D get?
Old 01-17-07, 08:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kiprich
The rain sensing wipers are a factory installed option, not port-installed (aftermarket).

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to add rain sensing wipers to the car due to the mechanics of installing the sensor and wiring it to the wipers. It is possible, but will most likely cost significantly.

Most cost effective method: Rain X, and your own hand switching the wipers on...
Old 01-17-07, 09:08 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion I wish I had the standard intermittent function. The rain sensor doesn't work that great at times.
Old 01-17-07, 09:55 AM
kiprich
Driver School Candidate

@bagwell: my car runs 28 miles per gallon.
Old 01-17-07, 10:38 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I find the auto wipers work great, essentially when the time delay needed is greater then several seconds. The sensitivity can be adjusted.

Koz
Old 01-17-07, 10:56 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Even on the highest sensitivity, when there is a lot of misting, the wipers seem to take too long.
Old 01-17-07, 11:18 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
Even on the highest sensitivity, when there is a lot of misting, the wipers seem to take too long.
i agree. it doesnt rain much here, and when it does, a lot of the times it's just a light mist and it takes a while before they go on (high sensitivity). but during regular/heavy rains, it works great.
Old 01-17-07, 11:24 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

I find the combination of Rain-X and the auto-senseing wipers to be perfect.
Old 01-17-07, 12:04 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I've got a bottle of rain x sitting in my garage. I think its about time I try applying some... hehe, but yeah mostly my annoyance is with misting and driving through wet streets behind cars etc... normal rain cycles it works great.
Old 01-17-07, 12:12 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welkom hier!!!!
Old 01-17-07, 04:06 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My car must have been built on a good day, because my rain sensing wipers work great in S. Florida. Whether it's a mist or a downpour, I never have to 'correct' them. There's a sensitivity setting on the stalk...you guys might need to adjust that to your preference. They're not mind reading wipers...they get a certain amount of water on the contact surface, and wipe the windshield.
Old 01-17-07, 04:40 PM
Sarorn
Driver

The rain sensors work great when its raining hard and you have it wiping at full speed, but when its misty and spitting out, it always takes a bit too long to come on. I sometimes wonder "What if it takes too long and then its too late...bang!".

Also, when I use the windsheild washer with the rain sensors on, the wipers would keep wiping until every little drop of water is gone....it keeps going and going...to the point that it smudges the whole window up...which defeats the purpose of using the windshield washer. So because of that, I turn my sensors off.
Old 01-17-07, 08:28 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Sorry for being off topic, but does your car sound like a diesel?? Can you hear it??

Quick Reply: rain sensor