IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Filter Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 10:49 AM
zzjkimzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Difference?

I have an 07 IS250 and it seems like there are several oil filter #'s people are using:

04152-YZZA3
04152-YZZA2
04152-YZZA1
04152-31060

Are these all generally the same filters? I am looking to get an oil change done at the Toyota Dealership they are literally a 30 second walk from where I live and they stock the filter # 04152-YZZA1. Will this be ok for my IS250? I have read using the "Search" function that many use YZZA2 or YZZA3, just wanted to make sure and check with you all. Thanks.
Old 01-11-07, 10:58 AM
LeXusIS714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the last two, but A2 and A3 are the correct one. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a Socal Toyota dealer that carry A3. Anyone know any Socal toyota dealer that have a3 filter in stock?
Old 01-11-07, 11:06 AM
JRIS250
Rookie

Unhappy

I HAVE A REALLY GOOD QUESTION:

I have an '06 IS250..

At my Lexus dealership they charge an arm and a leg for full service (oil change + oil filter + check tires/tire pressure + air filter + brake/transmission fluid, etc)...Just for an oil change they charged me $47 with tax.

This type of thing can all be done at a local Jiffy Lube for MUCH cheaper with a better synthetic oil for around the same price, however, places like Jiffy Lube dont carry the oil filters for the '06-'07 IS...at least where I've gone to they dont..

I was told to buy the oil filters directly from parts and take it to Jiffy Lube whenever I need my car serviced again...

Has anyone ever done this? Would this be a good way to go? Or should I just keep taking my car to the dealership for service and get shafted with the price...help anyone?
Old 01-11-07, 11:09 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JRIS250
I HAVE A REALLY GOOD QUESTION:

I have an '06 IS250..

At my Lexus dealership they charge an arm and a leg for full service (oil change + oil filter + check tires/tire pressure + air filter + brake/transmission fluid, etc)...Just for an oil change they charged me $47 with tax.

This type of thing can all be done at a local Jiffy Lube for MUCH cheaper with a better synthetic oil for around the same price, however, places like Jiffy Lube dont carry the oil filters for the '06-'07 IS...at least where I've gone to they dont..

I was told to buy the oil filters directly from parts and take it to Jiffy Lube whenever I need my car serviced again...

Has anyone ever done this? Would this be a good way to go? Or should I just keep taking my car to the dealership for service and get shafted with the price...help anyone?
I do this ALL the time. I bring my own oil and filter, they charge me like $15 for the labor. I used to do it in the driveway, but for $15 its not even worth getting dirty..

I sit there and make sure they put a new washer for the drain plug, and direct them as to exactly how much oil to put in.
Old 01-11-07, 11:19 AM
JRIS250
Rookie

Originally Posted by linh811
I do this ALL the time. I bring my own oil and filter, they charge me like $15 for the labor. I used to do it in the driveway, but for $15 its not even worth getting dirty..

I sit there and make sure they put a new washer for the drain plug, and direct them as to exactly how much oil to put in.
So how much cheaper would you say you save from taking your IS elsewhere in lieu of servicing it at the dealer? Another thing I thought was they keep a scheduled track of when ur supposed to take ur car in for other maintenance such as tune ups..? I would rather spend $50 @ Jiffy lube to get all the service i mentioned earlier than to spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer...In the end..sad to say...My IS is a toyota, not a Ferrari.....lol So Im sure places like Jiffy Lube can handle our cars as well....
Old 01-11-07, 11:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by zzjkimzz
I have an 07 IS250 and it seems like there are several oil filter #'s people are using:

04152-YZZA3
04152-YZZA2
04152-YZZA1
04152-31060

Are these all generally the same filters? I am looking to get an oil change done at the Toyota Dealership they are literally a 30 second walk from where I live and they stock the filter # 04152-YZZA1. Will this be ok for my IS250? I have read using the "Search" function that many use YZZA2 or YZZA3, just wanted to make sure and check with you all. Thanks.
The YZZA1 will not work. I bought one and returned it in 2 minutes after I pulled it out of the box. It's too short.

The YZZA2 and YZZA3 filters are identical. The difference is the A2 comes with a little plastic drain device. We (350s) don't need it, so they sell us the A3. The A2 is available through Toyota, but they don't typically stock them because there are no Toyota models using this filter. I bought a box of 10 A2's from my Toyota dealer for $4.95 each (minus my normal discount) instead of paying $8+ from Lexus for the A3.

The 31060 is a cross reference, and if I remember right, the A2 crosses to the 31060. In any case, the best deal out there is the A2 through a Toyota dealer, especially if they send you discount coupons.
Old 01-11-07, 11:28 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a DIY. I get the filter and gasket for $7 ea from the dealership and motor oil will only run about $1.50/quart (less if I can find it on sale and load up.) ~$16.00 and about 20 minutes and the job is done exactly the way I want.
Old 01-11-07, 11:29 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

So how much cheaper would you say you save from taking your IS elsewhere in lieu of servicing it at the dealer? Another thing I thought was they keep a scheduled track of when ur supposed to take ur car in for other maintenance such as tune ups..? I would rather spend $50 @ Jiffy lube to get all the service i mentioned earlier than to spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer...In the end..sad to say...My IS is a toyota, not a Ferrari.....lol So Im sure places like Jiffy Lube can handle our cars as well....
I have no idea how much an oil change is at the dealer, but I've heard its roughly $80, maybe more. Synthetic oil + filter + labor = $40 at jiffy lube. Maintenance is not THAT critical to me since I usually trade in cars before the warranty period runs out. I don't drive the wheels off anything so long term reliablity isn't reall a big issue
Old 01-11-07, 01:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

So Im sure places like Jiffy Lube can handle our cars as well....
Two of my friends have had horrible experiences at Jiffy Lube, including one who had his truck roll out onto the highway and smash into the center divider when the minimum wage flunky who changed his oil forgot to set the parking brake.

Think it's just the ones in our area? Look what happened in California: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/8881193/detail.html

I like to do most of my own maintenance, but if I didn't, I'd seek out the services of a good independent mechanic.
Old 01-11-07, 04:15 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXusIS714
I'm not sure about the last two, but A2 and A3 are the correct one. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a Socal Toyota dealer that carry A3. Anyone know any Socal toyota dealer that have a3 filter in stock?
Toyota of Orange sells me my A3 filters. They have been in stock when needed.
Old 01-11-07, 04:50 PM
zzjkimzz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the helpful replies. I was able to pick up some A3 filters from a Lexus dealer about an hour away (closest one to me right now where I'm temporarily at) for $6 a pop.

Question: How much oil does the 250 take? Before I take the filter and oil to a quick lube place I want to make sure I tell them exactly how much oil to put in. I have an 07 250.
Old 01-11-07, 07:12 PM
caribe81
Driver School Candidate

Default WOW NO Jiffy Lube

I saw the special on nbc4 and it's crazy how jiffy lube cheats people and to think I actually took my Acura once to the one in Encino, CA really scares me. Thanks for the link BICHON NO Jiffy Lube for my cars....
Old 01-11-07, 07:57 PM
LeXusIS714
Driver

WTF,,, Lexus of WEstminster charged me $12 for filter and $2 for gasket plug. I brought my filter to walmart for an oil change but they were unable to open the filter. After four people look at the filter, the manager finally came up to me and tell me that they cant do it.Damn,, I wasted two hours for nothing. Where did you get your oil change and how much for the filter lexustom?
Old 01-11-07, 09:17 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

They must have some real ace mechanics at walmart.

Changing the filter on the IS350 is VERY easy.
Old 01-12-07, 07:03 AM
Daniel_G
Driver School Candidate

I'm normally a DIYer. We'll yesterday I decided to take my '06 IS250 for the 10,000 miles service. I told myself what the heck, it can't be all that much at the Lexus dealership, it will be worth the convienence (the first one, 5000, was free). $133.00!!! wtf? I guess I'll go back to doing it myself. Is there anything I need to know about changing the oil on this car? I've changed oil on many different cars over the years. My previous G35 was a PITA only because of the undercar cover. Thanks

Daniel

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Difference?