IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The digital clock unit really brings down the car :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 10:48 AM
tracerit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The digital clock unit really brings down the car :(

The IS350 is such a nice car but the digital clock unit is similar to what I had in my previous car (01 Corolla) and pretty sure in other low end cars. I like the Acura TL's clock unit, maybe more its color than apperance. The G35's analog clock is pointless.

Does the NAV unit display the time in the corner as an alternative?
Old 01-03-07, 10:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

No, the nav doesn't display the current time. (Other than on a setup screen in the diagnostic menu). It is a shame that the clock in the nav system isn't used, since it comes off the satellites and is extremely accurate. (Unlike the dash clock that has to be set manually)
Old 01-03-07, 11:06 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

you know, thats what fancy wrist watches are for.

if you want a nice clock in your car buy an infiniti.

do you pick the wings of flies in your spare time?
Old 01-03-07, 11:12 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the clock may not be the nicest design or anything the real issue is where it's located. It should be eye level or something close to it.
Old 01-03-07, 12:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

I'm with Bichon. GPS time is a beautiful thing especially for those of us who have maintained precision timing systems. Sub-microsecond accuracy for the masses, how could it get much better?

So they put this really cheesy dumb clock on the dash that can't sync to the world timing standard. Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?
Old 01-03-07, 01:17 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The clock in the IS350 is retarded... As stated, it looks cheap, and is too low... Also retarded is the fact that the nav DVD disc is located behind it and the panel is hard to remove without damaging...

Acura has the best design, where the NAV screen displays time... GPS time rules...

I hate the infinity analog clock... I don't think it looks classy at all...

[/End Gripes]
Old 01-03-07, 01:21 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

I absolutely dispise the clock encasement in my 350, it really does take away from the niceness of the rest of the console.. Thank goodness it doesn't look as bad at night, hell the clock in my IS300 was wayyy nicer
Old 01-03-07, 01:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Technique
Also retarded is the fact that the nav DVD disc is located behind it and the panel is hard to remove without damaging...
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'm convinced that particular mis-feature was 'engineered' intentionally to discourage piracy of the nav discs and fatten the service department's bottom line.
Old 01-03-07, 01:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'm convinced that particular mis-feature was 'engineered' intentionally to discourage piracy of the nav discs and fatten the service department's bottom line.
Agreed. Unfortunately, it seems that many things that Lexus does are designed to fatten the service dept's bottom line... (e.g. - Oil changes every 5k)
Old 01-03-07, 01:50 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
I hate the infinity analog clock... I don't think it looks classy at all...
The Infiniti (spelled correctly) analog clock is an Infiniti tradition that has always been in their cars since the model was first introduced. It’s as traditional as Jaguar’s walnut dash trim or BMW’s tool kit (I was going to add Buick’s side holes, but they’re gone now). You’re entitled to your opinion, but most Infiniti owners consider the clock as classy and distinct as similar clocks found in even more high-end cars like Rolls-Royces.
Old 01-03-07, 02:38 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Magellan
The Infiniti (spelled correctly) analog clock is an Infiniti tradition that has always been in their cars since the model was first introduced. It’s as traditional as Jaguar’s walnut dash trim or BMW’s tool kit
To some a tradition, but to me an affectation meant to symbolize old world craftsmanship in marque born less than 20 years ago in the age of computers and robotics.

I remember back in '95 before I bought my Maxima I test drove the practically identical Infiniti I30. Same car, produced at the same factory on the same assembly line, costing thousands more and differentiated only by a different grill and that silly analog clock.
Old 01-03-07, 03:08 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
To some a tradition, but to me an affectation meant to symbolize old world craftsmanship in marque born less than 20 years ago in the age of computers and robotics.

I remember back in '95 before I bought my Maxima I test drove the practically identical Infiniti I30. Same car, produced at the same factory on the same assembly line, costing thousands more and differentiated only by a different grill and that silly analog clock.
True, but other manufacturers, including Toyota do the same thing, e.g., the Lexus ES series autos are nothing more than souped up Camrys, and my wife’s old Mercury Sable was really a Ford Taurus. We bought the Sable anyway, because we liked the higher-end styling.

And I’m sure you know that Infiniti dropped the I35 model after Maxima went beyond the 5th generation Maxima.

As for clocks, there are worse than the Lexus version. Remember when some cars had the radio and clock combined where you could read the time or the station but not both at the same time? Now that’s cheap. I vowed never to buy a car with that arrangement.
Old 01-03-07, 03:18 PM
kingpcgeek
Driver School Candidate

The clock in the IS is the tackiest thing in the car. It looks like something you would buy at the dollar store and stick on to the dash. I love the analog clock, right at eye level in my G35
Old 01-03-07, 03:42 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

If you dont like the LCD clock, why dont you just put a "Powered by Toyota" sticker over it?
Old 01-03-07, 03:50 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingpcgeek
I love the analog clock, right at eye level in my G35
I agree. Lexus could learn from this. The analog design is integrated well into the center console:

G35 Dash

Quick Reply: The digital clock unit really brings down the car :(