IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Adjustment Success!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 03:12 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Adjustment Success!

So I guess most (if not all) of our cars come from the factory with the HID's pointing VERY low... So low, that if you are on a dark road, you can't see more than 50 ft in front of the car... The headlights just sort of abruptly stop and then it's pitch blackness.... Not good...

Anyway, I just wanted to report that I adjusted my headlight alignment upwards and it's now perfect!

I have the AFS and HID and auto-leveling and everything else... The full package... It doesn't make a difference... You still just take a large size philips head screwdriver and make the mechanical adjustment...

For the record, I adjusted mine approx 70 teeth turns on the left lamp, and 60 teeth turns for the right lamp... This was about 2-3 full turns of the adjustment wheel... (The left light was slightly lower than the right light from the factory)...

Anyway, everything is perfect now, lights are properly aligned, and they are definitely not too high... In fact, I could raise them more if I wanted and still not bother oncoming traffic, but they are good in the proper alignment position...

Total time to do this: 20 minutes (5 minutes to remove the engine covers, 5 minutes per headlight turning very slowly and carefully counting the number of turns, 5 minutes to put the engine covers back on)
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (12-10-22)
Old 12-30-06, 03:25 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot a pretty important detail...which way you turned the adjustment ****.

Turn the adjustment wheel clockwise to adjust vertical aim up and counter-clockwise for vertical down. Remember, that means you turn your screwdriver in the opposite direction.
Old 12-30-06, 03:52 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

What do you mean opposite?I turn the screwdriver in a clockwork motion to raise either side (left or right) of my lights, right? Its not like my left light are c.clock to go up and my right light is clockwise to go up?
Old 12-30-06, 04:23 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by starstreak
What do you mean opposite?I turn the screwdriver in a clockwork motion to raise either side (left or right) of my lights, right? Its not like my left light are c.clock to go up and my right light is clockwise to go up?
It is like a meshed gear, you turn the driver one way and the opposed gear rotates the opposite way.
Old 12-30-06, 07:40 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

I posted a pdf describing the headlight adjustment procedure in another thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=256416&page=2
Old 12-30-06, 07:59 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I don't understand.

On top of the headlight there is warning. When you adjust the headlight beam vertically, you also need to adjust the the horizontal screw as well the same amount of turns, because it says when you adjust the vertical beam, the headlight moves horizontal.

It even states in the owners manual.

So any insight? I want to adjust my headlights, but I can't get to the horizontal adjustment screw, Or it doesn't apply?
Old 12-30-06, 08:06 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

The left side beam should always be lower than the right so that it doesn't blind on-coming traffic from the left. I believe other countries where they drive on the left, have the right beam lower than the left.
Old 12-30-06, 08:16 PM
khoongy
Driver

this is just what i needed. i am going to adjust my headlights tonight and i will post my results after. thanks. if i can find my camera i will do a DIY.
Old 12-30-06, 10:08 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CWS
I posted a pdf describing the headlight adjustment procedure in another thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=256416&page=2
FYI..The PDFs are not supposed to be distributed beyond the person that paid to download it.
Old 12-30-06, 10:12 PM
PearlTung
Driver School Candidate

Technique, I'm glad you reminded me of this... we talked about it Fri. Now I'm going to do it too.
Old 12-31-06, 10:10 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
This is what I don't understand.

On top of the headlight there is warning. When you adjust the headlight beam vertically, you also need to adjust the the horizontal screw as well the same amount of turns, because it says when you adjust the vertical beam, the headlight moves horizontal.

It even states in the owners manual.

So any insight? I want to adjust my headlights, but I can't get to the horizontal adjustment screw, Or it doesn't apply?

Ya, I saw that in the manual, I don't understand what they are talking about... Besides, I didn't even see a horizontal screw... And why would you "have" to adjust it horizontally? It just doesn't make sense...

Anyway, I always just go the simple route
Old 12-31-06, 11:56 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Ya, I saw that in the manual, I don't understand what they are talking about... Besides, I didn't even see a horizontal screw... And why would you "have" to adjust it horizontally? It just doesn't make sense...

Anyway, I always just go the simple route
If you look in towards the fender, you'll see a little hole just big enough to stick a long screwdriver into it. That is the horizontal adjustment.

I assume it's because of our AFS system. The warning sticker is even on the headlamps.

Ah well, I'm going to leave it alone.
Old 12-31-06, 04:18 PM
khoongy
Driver

i just adjusted my headlights vertically. success the dealer made my lights so low that i had to turn it "120 teeth marks" to get it high enough.

so far no problems. very simple to do, as described above.
Old 12-31-06, 05:44 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

I also noticed that the HID points low. I've always told myself to do it, but never got the time to. I just finally fixed my AFS light. I guess I will do this next time. Thanks for the info Technique.
Old 12-31-06, 06:20 PM
PearlTung
Driver School Candidate

Ok, did mine. Raised it 80 teeth, went for a ride and saw they were a little high, and lowered them back down about 30. Maybe they could be a little higher though.

The owner's manual and the headlight housing both say you have to adjust both horiz and vert, but the pdf instructions only mention the vertical adjustment being necessary!?!?

Maybe I'll try tweaking the horizontal and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment Success!