IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best-Selling Luxury Cars 2006

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 03:27 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best-Selling Luxury Cars 2006

"The cars with the biggest percentage improvements are all-new models: Cadillac’s overhauled Escalade line, for which sales are up 16%, and Lexus’ entry-level IS range, for which sales are up an astonishing 332% (49,000 American sales this year, versus 11,000 last year). Lexus’ dramatic overhaul turned the IS from a non-entity into a sexy, sporty, bona fide 3 Series challenger. It’s hard to imagine anyone outside of Toyota thinking in 2004 that the IS, a car Lexus couldn’t give away, would become one of the ten best-selling luxury cars."

The IS is ranked #10...
http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/15/bes...uxurycars.html
Old 12-18-06, 03:34 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IronPhoenX
"The cars with the biggest percentage improvements are all-new models: Cadillac’s overhauled Escalade line, for which sales are up 16%, and Lexus’ entry-level IS range, for which sales are up an astonishing 332% (49,000 American sales this year, versus 11,000 last year). Lexus’ dramatic overhaul turned the IS from a non-entity into a sexy, sporty, bona fide 3 Series challenger. It’s hard to imagine anyone outside of Toyota thinking in 2004 that the IS, a car Lexus couldn’t give away, would become one of the ten best-selling luxury cars."

The IS is ranked #10...
Good to see. The IS is making up for a terrible debut of the first gen. Any time a cars sales go up 300%, and it is your entry level car, you know you were doing something wrong.
Old 12-18-06, 03:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first and second gen IS is sooo different from one another, just like the first and second gen SC.

The first gens were about a performance over luxury. The new gens are about luxury over performance. People who know Lexus and want to buy Lexus bought the new gens because of the extra luxury amenities, as well as their damn good looks.

That being the case, they will sell more under a luxury marque (and such is proven). I wonder how the first gen IS and SC would have sold if they were tagged a Toyota, not a Lexus?
Old 12-18-06, 03:51 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The first and second gen IS is sooo different from one another, just like the first and second gen SC.

The first gens were about a performance over luxury. The new gens are about luxury over performance. People who know Lexus and want to buy Lexus bought the new gens because of the extra luxury amenities, as well as their damn good looks.

That being the case, they will sell more under a luxury marque (and such is proven). I wonder how the first gen IS and SC would have sold if they were tagged a Toyota, not a Lexus?

Not sure, but the current SC has really nosed dived in sales comapred to the first gen.

It was interesting that Lexus and BMW were in the top 10 along with Cadillac. But Mercedes, Jaguar, and Acura were no where to be found.

I expect some serious financial trouble for some of these companies in the near future unless they can turn things around. I think what we have now is market saturation. To many companies building luxury cars. By the discounts they are offering, it is clear they can build a car and drop the price 20% and still make money.
Old 12-18-06, 03:57 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Lexus has 3 cars on the top 10. Toyota is doing something right!
Old 12-18-06, 03:59 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Not sure, but the current SC has really nosed dived in sales comapred to the first gen.

It was interesting that Lexus and BMW were in the top 10 along with Cadillac. But Mercedes, Jaguar, and Acura were no where to be found.

I expect some serious financial trouble for some of these companies in the near future unless they can turn things around. I think what we have now is market saturation. To many companies building luxury cars. By the discounts they are offering, it is clear they can build a car and drop the price 20% and still make money.
If you click on the BMW pic on the upper left and go through the slide show, you'll see Acura there...

"#4 Acura TL
Base price: $33,625
Rank on list last year: #3
2006 sales: 65,503
Year-over-year decline: 8%"
Old 12-18-06, 04:03 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

If you click on the BMW pic on the upper left and go through the slide show, you'll see Acura there...

"#4 Acura TL
Base price: $33,625
Rank on list last year: #3
2006 sales: 65,503
Year-over-year decline: 8%"
Oh you are right. Missed that one.
Old 12-18-06, 04:06 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
But Mercedes, Jaguar, and Acura were no where to be found.
Remind me not to hire you as my researcher.

Please tell me what car is #4 on the list?
Old 12-18-06, 04:34 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

The SC is doing so bad because there is no value in spending that much for an out dated vehicle. The V8 in that car is old school, and the car is self is in need of a complete L-finesse overhaul. The new SC should be pretty sick.
Old 12-18-06, 05:09 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
The SC is doing so bad because there is no value in spending that much for an out dated vehicle. The V8 in that car is old school, and the car is self is in need of a complete L-finesse overhaul. The new SC should be pretty sick.
I agree, it should be really interesting to see what the new SC will look like. There hasn't been a coupe that has received the L finesse styling yet.
Old 12-20-06, 12:34 AM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

The IS is ranked #10...
Unfortunately, it's unlikely the IS stays in this spot. In November (one of the first months the 2IS went up against itself in the prior year), the IS posted ~20% decline.

Hate to admit it: but I think the G35 is going to eat the IS up (especially the IS250).
Old 12-20-06, 01:41 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

this guy knows something about cars? senior editor? he looks like he's 12.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (88.3 KB, 355 views)
Old 12-20-06, 05:31 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

But he's pictured in front of a Bentley so it's ok.
Old 12-20-06, 08:11 AM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daveortega
Unfortunately, it's unlikely the IS stays in this spot. In November (one of the first months the 2IS went up against itself in the prior year), the IS posted ~20% decline.

Hate to admit it: but I think the G35 is going to eat the IS up (especially the IS250).
I don't think you can compare G35 sales with IS sales cause the G35 has coupe and sedan models. And the IS has big engine and a small engine models. They all target different audiences.
Old 12-20-06, 09:40 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm fine with not-too-fast sales. I'd like my car to remain as unique as possible.

At the same time, if a car doesn't sell very much, it won't get very much after market support... so for a good balance, I wish these cars were just a little less popular, hehe.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 12-20-06 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Best-Selling Luxury Cars 2006