IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 12:55 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

300hp/300torque is like STI.. well i really like the new BMW..
fast... twin turbo... i would go for the bmw...
still love my IS though!
Old 08-31-06, 02:44 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C280to250
Thanks! That validates other information I've heard about the 335i putting out close to 350 than 300. I read the reason is they don't want to have such a small [published] gap in HP between it and the new M3, which will put 400+ hp.

PS, I would have gone for the BMW as well, but I too love the IS350. Great acceleration and great sound (ML audio)
Old 08-31-06, 05:27 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Personally myself I looked at all compariable cars (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) to the IS before I made my purchase. All in all, I spent almost a full month before I made my decision.

Since I wasn't interested in uber power and speed, the IS 250 totally fit my needs. From what I was able to see, the IS gave me more "bang for the buck". I find the interior much more luxurious than the compariable autos.

In the end it all comes down to individual tastes, wants and needs... I'd say shop around and find the car that best matches your expectations.

Good Luck!
Old 08-31-06, 05:36 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

335i, no question. The turbo inline 6 is going to be a beast. And much, much better handling. And free full maintenance for 50,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Maintaining the classic proportions that have distinguished 3-series coupes since 1991, it all adds up to a look that's simultaneously sophisticated and aggressive. Not to mention drop-dead gorgeous.
We had a chance to put a 335i through its paces in an all-too-brief tour of the Austrian Tyrol near Innsbruck and emerged with three major impressions.
First, the new six-speed Steptronic automatic is well matched to the turbo engines's almost bottomless torque, and its paddle shifters allow manual operation when the pilot feels playful. We still prefer the involement of the standard ZF six-speed manual...
Two: The 335's sport suspension package provides an outstanding compromise between creamy ride and athletic response.
Three: The Alpine heights magnified the benefits of boost, but we're certain this new engine will win friends at any altitude. BMW forecats 0 to 60mph times of 5.3 seconds for the 335i. Judging by our Tyrol touring , we thought this was conservative, a premonition that was vindicated when a 335i showed up at Hogback HQ as this issue was going to bed - just time enough for some formal test data : 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.6 @ 105mph. Those results are almost exactly the same as the numbers posted by the last M3 we tested

Last edited by ff_; 08-31-06 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-31-06, 05:52 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaEvilG
I already placed my order for the '07 is350 blk/blk lev nav lux package w/ the x package rims. This unfortunately will take 4? months to get here...But now just checking out the BMW 335i Coupe....$40,600 MSRP w/ 300 horse and 300lbs of torque twin turbocharged v6...I'm thinking why not go with bmw. What do you guys think?
Unless you must be doing spirited driving constantly, I'm thinking you won't be disappointed at all with the IS if you decide to stay with it, especially since you're ordering what you want. On paper, the 335i looks great, but there is a lot more to it than performance when it comes time to drive daily, and this is what a lot of people miss when simply looking at magazines and spec sheets. I'd take a close look at how you plan on using the car, and what appeals to you more, then make a decision.
Old 08-31-06, 06:59 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I am looking at this comparison as well. Anyone know when the BMW 335i sedan will hit the showroom?

I test drove a loaded 2006 IS350 yesterday, but they only had 2 on the lot and 1 2007 coming in. They seemed eager to deal on the 2006's, but I don't know if I want the first production year and it would be nice to have the most up to date. All that aside, I loved the car. Great acceleration and the navi, ml and everything was very cool.

I am going to test drive the 2006 330i and 2007 3 series coupe. I will report back.
Old 08-31-06, 07:06 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

i just helped my friend ordered a 335i coupe..it looks way better in person than in pictures..and bmw ordering only takes up to 60 days..you can also track your order online and know when your car is getting built unlike the lexus ordering system where your car just shows up one day.
Old 08-31-06, 08:18 AM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Wow a lot of feedback here. Well if I get the IS350 ofcourse i'd finance it. If I did go with the 335 I'd definately lease it.

I decided to customize both vehicles...had to use a GA zipcode for lexus since Mark Lev isn't available where I am. Fully loaded, It's about a $7-8,000 difference from Lexus to BMW. The 335 I customized had about everything in it going for $52,240. The IS350 with the $8,757 Lux Package gives the ML and totals a $45,052 MSRP.

I'll try stopping by my local bmw dealer to take a look at their pricing info...

I HATE THE 4 MONTH WAIT WITH LEXUS! I prefer drive an '07 model in '06. Waiting until Dec/Jan for a 350 doesn't cut it.
Old 08-31-06, 08:44 AM
Swordfish
Rookie

I dont like the wait either.. but the bmw loaded is over 50k... not really a good compare...

However, I will bet the lease payments on the loaded bmw will be cheaper or same as the is350. 36 months 15/miles

BMW has great lease programs...

If They offer a special lease offer I would go with it...
Old 08-31-06, 08:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
On paper, the 335i looks great, but there is a lot more to it than performance when it comes time to drive daily, and this is what a lot of people miss when simply looking at magazines and spec sheets.
Not sure what you're getting at here. Are you inferring that there are qualities for the 335i that would make daily driving miserable?
Old 08-31-06, 09:05 AM
heasyrider
Rookie

I know performance seems to rule on this site, but, I go mostly on looks once I hit a certain level of performance I am satisfied with. To me, the IS looks better (especially the interior) so I will always go with the better looking IS over BMW.

Also, I note you ordered the x package wheels with a Lux package. Nice to know you can do that. I am assuming I would be able to order a sport package with the x package wheels as well.
Old 08-31-06, 09:11 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
300hp/300torque is like STI.. well i really like the new BMW..
fast... twin turbo... i would go for the bmw...
still love my IS though!

I just came out of the STi, ...yeah , that 300/300 is sick, and AWD is awesome. After modding it like crazy, even that gets tiring. But i wouldn't compare just numbers to these cars. It's an entirely different driving experience for each. I was contemplating the same choice and chose the Lexus. It was new, and a car you don't see around every corner like the BMW 3's.

Greg
Old 08-31-06, 09:24 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by glilly
I just came out of the STi, ...yeah , that 300/300 is sick, and AWD is awesome. After modding it like crazy, even that gets tiring. But i wouldn't compare just numbers to these cars. It's an entirely different driving experience for each. I was contemplating the same choice and chose the Lexus. It was new, and a car you don't see around every corner like the BMW 3's.

Greg
Just give it time... youll see lots of 2IS's around soon enough. I used to see one every couple days at most. Now I see at least two a day. Dont make your decision based on how "rare" you think your car is because it isnt. Just get what you feel is best for you. The other plus is that if you lease the BMW and find you dont like it, you can switch to the 2IS in a few years and hopefully there will be even better options available by then. By then, the IS coupe should be available and maybe even the fabled IS500.
Old 08-31-06, 09:44 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaEvilG
I already placed my order for the '07 is350 blk/blk lev nav lux package w/ the x package rims. This unfortunately will take 4? months to get here...But now just checking out the BMW 335i Coupe....$40,600 MSRP w/ 300 horse and 300lbs of torque twin turbocharged v6...I'm thinking why not go with bmw. What do you guys think?
How much off MSRP did you get?
Old 08-31-06, 10:10 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Just give it time... youll see lots of 2IS's around soon enough. I used to see one every couple days at most. Now I see at least two a day. Dont make your decision based on how "rare" you think your car is because it isnt. Just get what you feel is best for you. The other plus is that if you lease the BMW and find you dont like it, you can switch to the 2IS in a few years and hopefully there will be even better options available by then. By then, the IS coupe should be available and maybe even the fabled IS500.
wow that is exactly what i was thinking! the IS's in So Cal are growing in numbers daily!

i am having a similar debate of IS250 vs. Audi A4 and i am really close to pulling the trigger on the Audi for a 2 year lease which is really reasonably priced (70% residual), and then hopefully get back to my lexus roots in 2 years when the coupe/convertible/500 is out...

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)