IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 12:46 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vvsabvv
so i added the switch today to my nav hack, and either way on or off the nav doesnt run smooth. what did i do work? and plus it dont tell me where to go like it did before?

Once you enter in the info while driving, you need to flip the switch back when you are done. If not the car assumes you are not moving and does not give guidance. If you still leave it in the modified position (>30 seconds) the accuracy of the GPS goes to hell.
Old 08-14-09, 11:45 AM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify too anyone:

When you cut the pink wire going to J50, and the white/silver wire going to P1...you will now have 4 wires instead of 2

-2 comming from the wire loom/harness (whatever you wanna call it), and 2 attached to the back of the nav unit

-You take the Pink wire from the wire/loom harness and attach to switch
-You take the White/Silver wire from the back of the nav unit and attach to switch

And there ya go!... A lot of people seem to have some confussion on which white wire you connect to the switch...Unlike the normal hack which you take both wires from the loom and connect, you connect the white wire from the back of the nav unit to the switch...and cap off the white wire from the loom

Hope this helps!
Old 08-19-09, 07:46 PM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

HELP!!...URGENT!...

Did anyone lose their voice guidance (no turn-by-turn guidance) with this hack??

PLZ ANY RESPONSES WELCOME!!!
Old 09-02-09, 08:10 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I finally did this using the instructions in this tutorial and on the first DIY thread. I made a public facebook album w/ some pictures and some notes in case anyone wants to check out http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=8123ebceec

I had two casualties. one, I had a broken blade from my A/C / Vents which I need to replace. two, there's some more space between the vents and the top (pictures are in the album)
Old 09-03-09, 12:52 PM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I finally did this using the instructions in this tutorial and on the first DIY thread. I made a public facebook album w/ some pictures and some notes in case anyone wants to check out http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=8123ebceec

I had two casualties. one, I had a broken blade from my A/C / Vents which I need to replace. two, there's some more space between the vents and the top (pictures are in the album)
good stuff man.... damn I wish I would of knew about the taking the entire dash part out where the switch/coin holder is... is it just held in with clips?
Old 09-05-09, 03:41 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dylan20
good stuff man.... damn I wish I would of knew about the taking the entire dash part out where the switch/coin holder is... is it just held in with clips?
I'm not sure.. my cousin who was helping me just pulled it off and put it back in..
Old 09-05-09, 08:14 AM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I'm not sure.. my cousin who was helping me just pulled it off and put it back in..
if you could find that out for me, you know i'd appreciate it!
Old 11-09-09, 08:46 AM
lear45
Driver School Candidate

I need help! I've read EVERY post from both nav hack's part 1 and part 2...even from Technique's website. A few have encountered this problem and some have resolved it, I have not. I basically can't enter destinations while moving and lose voice quidance.

I have a 2008 is250 w/nav - no ML, and the VAIS SL2Vi. I did the hack including the switch...connecting the pink from the car harness and the white/gray paint (not with the stripes) from the J1 connector. I've tried BOTH WAYS...connecting to the white/gray paint from the J1 connector (below J50) and when that didn't work, the P1 (next to J50) without success.

First approach - and from what I've read - the "correct" method:
When one end of the switch is connected to white going INTO J1...I can view all mp3 folders/bt/ipod movies while moving...but switch doesn't do anything and I can't enter address while moving. I also lose voice guidance...it will show the route and says "proceed to start route guidance" (or something along those lines) and then "you have reached your destination". It doesn't give turn-by-turn or re-route. I've tested the switch using an ohm meter and it does work correctly.
Initially, once I start the vehicle and begin driving (with the switch in the "normal" position - closed - so the pink and white are connected) the nav thinks i'm parked for a minute or so and I can enter an address during this phase and the nav is jumpy, but that's the only time. It then locks onto GPS mode, smooths out, and never looks back, no matter what position the switch is in. I've tried flipping the switch back and forth to see if the nav will get jumpy or allow me to enter destinations...but it never does.

Second approach - tried because it seemed to help someone:
Connected one end of the switch to the white/gray paint going into P1. This only allows me to view mp3 folders when switch is open (disconnected)...and have the same results with the address and voice as above.

I'm pretty confident I have the right wires...but I want voice guidance/auto re-route on the navigation. I'm pretty sure the nav is only using the GPS for both scenarios. I am thinking there might be another wire that needs to be cut for this to work correctly.

I've tried removing the switch and manually holding the wires connected/disconnected just to check - doesn't matter. The switch works correctly. I'm using the stock switch recommended by members here...the OEM style rocker switch.

Also the wiring is not loose in either setup. I've detached and reconnected the wires using butt connectors just in case...no luck. My next step is to re-attach the wires to OEM to insure there isn't a problem with the wire harness.

Can anyone offer ANY suggestions?? I'm completely flustered. Thank you in advance for any help!!
-J.R.
Old 11-09-09, 02:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lear45
I need help! I've read EVERY post from both nav hack's part 1 and part 2...even from Technique's website. A few have encountered this problem and some have resolved it, I have not. I basically can't enter destinations while moving and lose voice quidance.

I have a 2008 is250 w/nav - no ML, and the VAIS SL2Vi. I did the hack including the switch...connecting the pink from the car harness and the white/gray paint (not with the stripes) from the J1 connector. I've tried BOTH WAYS...connecting to the white/gray paint from the J1 connector (below J50) and when that didn't work, the P1 (next to J50) without success.

First approach - and from what I've read - the "correct" method:
When one end of the switch is connected to white going INTO J1...I can view all mp3 folders/bt/ipod movies while moving...but switch doesn't do anything and I can't enter address while moving. I also lose voice guidance...it will show the route and says "proceed to start route guidance" (or something along those lines) and then "you have reached your destination". It doesn't give turn-by-turn or re-route. I've tested the switch using an ohm meter and it does work correctly.
Initially, once I start the vehicle and begin driving (with the switch in the "normal" position - closed - so the pink and white are connected) the nav thinks i'm parked for a minute or so and I can enter an address during this phase and the nav is jumpy, but that's the only time. It then locks onto GPS mode, smooths out, and never looks back, no matter what position the switch is in. I've tried flipping the switch back and forth to see if the nav will get jumpy or allow me to enter destinations...but it never does.

Second approach - tried because it seemed to help someone:
Connected one end of the switch to the white/gray paint going into P1. This only allows me to view mp3 folders when switch is open (disconnected)...and have the same results with the address and voice as above.

I'm pretty confident I have the right wires...but I want voice guidance/auto re-route on the navigation. I'm pretty sure the nav is only using the GPS for both scenarios. I am thinking there might be another wire that needs to be cut for this to work correctly.

I've tried removing the switch and manually holding the wires connected/disconnected just to check - doesn't matter. The switch works correctly. I'm using the stock switch recommended by members here...the OEM style rocker switch.

Also the wiring is not loose in either setup. I've detached and reconnected the wires using butt connectors just in case...no luck. My next step is to re-attach the wires to OEM to insure there isn't a problem with the wire harness.

Can anyone offer ANY suggestions?? I'm completely flustered. Thank you in advance for any help!!
-J.R.
It's obviously NOT the switch.

I would suggest forgetting about the switch for now and just focus on getting the nav hack to work: smooth nav, bluetooth, mp3 folders, caller id, telephone, but no destination entry while moving.

I'm not sure about the voice entry as I've never used it except the first day and it was terrible. Maybe someone else can comment about the voice entry with this hack.

Also, look back a few hundred posts or whatever, there is a series of posts where we talk SPECIFICALLY about the colors of the wires in detail. (e.g. - "white wire, with silver paint, where the silver paint is in short intervals") So that should tell you for sure if you have the right wires.
Old 11-18-09, 06:29 PM
lear45
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Technique
It's obviously NOT the switch.

I would suggest forgetting about the switch for now and just focus on getting the nav hack to work: smooth nav, bluetooth, mp3 folders, caller id, telephone, but no destination entry while moving.

I'm not sure about the voice entry as I've never used it except the first day and it was terrible. Maybe someone else can comment about the voice entry with this hack.

Also, look back a few hundred posts or whatever, there is a series of posts where we talk SPECIFICALLY about the colors of the wires in detail. (e.g. - "white wire, with silver paint, where the silver paint is in short intervals") So that should tell you for sure if you have the right wires.
I finally got it to work correctly. First I put the system back to factory to make sure everything worked correctly, then attempted the exact same setup I tried the first time (with the same wires), and low and behold, it works great...including the turn-by-turn voice guidance. The only thing I can think of is I originally tried to remove the white/gray wire pin from the J1 harness so I wouldn't have to cut wires. I gave up on this eventually, but perhaps when I put the pin back in the harness, it wasn't making proper contact causing the first attempt to fail. I triple checked that pin before attempting again.

Anyway...another successful story here - Nav hack w/ switch and Vasitech SL2Vi installed. Now I just need to know what the screen resolution on the nav is so I can format the movies on the iphone correctly!! haha
Thanks Technique for your response!
Old 11-28-09, 07:45 AM
robertlx
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't make me sell it!!!

I have a 2007 Lexus LX 470. I really need to hack the nav so my wife does not sell the car! Does anyone know if this nav hack will work on the LX? Are the wire colors and connectors the same as the IS? I have the M.L. system so DVDs will be an added bonus.
Thanks
R
Old 11-28-09, 11:02 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertlx
I have a 2007 Lexus LX 470. I really need to hack the nav so my wife does not sell the car! Does anyone know if this nav hack will work on the LX? Are the wire colors and connectors the same as the IS? I have the M.L. system so DVDs will be an added bonus.
Thanks
R
An '07, right? -- why is your wife having a delayed reaction to the Nav Nanny? Did you buy this car "used" or CPO? Not a fan of wire cutting since I've read of occasional problems that arose after the "fix" that could not be reversed... I always prefer a way out. But to each their own.

The following companies have modules that work seamlessly with OEM parts to achieve your goal; and they can be "unplugged" for whatever reason. Costlier, but worth it IMO... Not sure if 07 LX 470 has an application -- may need to call.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/
http://www.coastaletech.com/

Selling a nice rig like the LX because of the Nav inconvenience seems rather drastic to me. Could buy the wife a Garmin Nuvi til you figure out a reliable solution to the Nav issue... Why does she get final say on selling the car, anyway?!?
Old 11-28-09, 02:04 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robertlx
Thanks
R
As far as I know there is no nav hack for your LX. But double check in the LX forum. But it looks like you're going to have to sell the car and buy a car that does not disable the nav when the car is moving. Look into Acura, Mercedes, BMW, etc... Make sure before you buy the car next time! Lexus is among the worst offenders for disabling electronics while the car is moving/turned on.

Best of luck
Old 11-28-09, 04:10 PM
OlivrTwizt
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know where I can source a replacement J50 connector? (I need the male end, without wires)... The chap I paid to perform the mod butchered the plastic connector, and while it works, I'd like to get a replacement, and pull the pins out of the old one and put it into a new plug.
Old 11-28-09, 06:06 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha.. the "chap". what a riot.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch