IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlamp Washers Modification (Disconnecting them from windshield washers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 08:27 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks dude.. I just did mine. Works like a charm!
Old 01-02-07, 06:11 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did mine. The directions and the guidance were very clear and worked perfectly. Thanks alot technique !!
Old 02-13-12, 01:17 PM
paulv7260
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone try this on a later model? Perhaps a 2011 or 2012?

I used my washer this morning not realizing that the headlamp washers are linked to the windshield washers if the lights are on (only once for the engine on cycle - after that they are not linked until you restart the car). Anyway, when I got to work and parked the car it looked like someone randomly scraped a bar of soap across my front quarter panels. I strive to keep my baby looking good as possible (weather permitting) and this has got to go.

Ultimately, it would be nice to be able to keep the dashboard button for when I might really need it (can't imagine when though) but I'd rather not have it at all if it is all-or-nothing.

I've only had my IS350 for about 6 weeks now and this is one of those features you don't think to ask about, especially when there is a separate button. Look up over-engineering and you'll see a picture of the Lexus headlamp washer

Thanks
Old 02-13-12, 02:59 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

if only my IS has the headlamp washer :-\ , fail. Great thread though, makes it a cakewalk to do
Old 02-18-12, 07:36 AM
paulv7260
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Technique

I used a tiny 1.5mm flat head jewelers screwdriver to release the wire from the connector... You can then use heat shrink or electrical tape to tape up the end of the wire and tuck it away... Alternatively, if you want, you can just cut this wire and be done with it... But, I decided that when I get rid of the car, I wanted to re-enable this feature so at that time I can just remove the tape/heat shrink and stick the wire back into the connector...

Put things back together and you are done... I tested it afterwards and it works like a charm... The only time the headlamp washers will activate is when you press the headlamp washers button...

This is a VERY simple hack... Enjoy!
Thanks. I got this done today. Tested as advertised!!
Old 12-19-12, 11:18 AM
Alvo03
Driver School Candidate

finally found a solution. thanks
Old 12-19-12, 05:09 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

lex copies mecedes.
Old 12-24-12, 05:58 PM
Alvo03
Driver School Candidate

after checkink my wires on mu 2007 Lexus IS 220 Diesel in Europe. There is no similar colour wire.
anyone can help me? need a wiring diagram
Old 02-22-14, 08:24 PM
freal
Driver

thankyou thankyou thankyou
Old 08-08-14, 01:21 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but is the headlamp washer assembly engineered so that it only sprays when the washer is extended?
Old 05-11-15, 11:29 AM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Not sure what you mean by extended BUT I was wondering what the hack is to make the washers work all the time with the push of the button, even when the headlights are off...
Old 05-11-15, 12:01 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuboost
Not sure what you mean by extended BUT I was wondering what the hack is to make the washers work all the time with the push of the button, even when the headlights are off...
That's how it works with no modifications. Pressing the headlight washer button causes the headlight washers to spray whether the lights are on or off. But pressing the windshield washer only causes the headlight washer to spray when the lights are on.
Old 05-12-15, 02:00 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont understand why the need for this mod? Yes if the headlamps are on and you clean your windshield the headlamp washer jets go off, but they only go off the once. Only if you turn your lights off and on or turn your car off and on and turn the lights on again it will then only operate headlamp washer jets just the once again.
Old 05-18-15, 01:35 AM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Bichon are you sure? Last time I tried to use the headlight washers it required me to have my headlights turned on for it to function. I'll try again but even after this modification it required the lights to be on as well.
Old 02-25-16, 02:07 PM
Pho3nx
Driver School Candidate

Default Done!

Originally Posted by Technique
On the ISx50, if your headlights are on, and you use the windshield washers, the headlamp washers will automatically activate... I didn't like this... There is a separate button for the headlamp washers that activates the washers so why would you want them to go on automatically if you just want to clean a small smudge on your windshield?

So, this is a DIY on how to disconnect these two systems so that when you wash your windshield, the headlamp washers don't activate automatically... Full pics are on my website (in my sig) as well...

I want to give a HUGE thanks to lobuxracer for all his help... He basically figured this whole thing out, I just did the execution since he doesn't have the HW option on his IS... Thanks again lobux...

HW DIY MOD:

They key is to prevent the signal from the windshield washer from ever getting to the headlamp washer... This is done at the main engine fuse/relay box under the hood... It's located on the drivers side near the front of the car...

This is the box, held in place by 3 clips shown... Simply press on the single clip near the front and pull the lid off...

The wire in question is under the Front Connector Block, Connector 2F, PIN 8... To remove this Block, there are two clips on either side of it... Press both at the same time and pull it out...

This is the connector underneath the Front Connector Block that we are interested in... Unplug this...

The wire we are interested in is right in the middle, PIN 8... It is an orange/blue striped wire with silver paint markings...

I used a tiny 1.5mm flat head jewelers screwdriver to release the wire from the connector... You can then use heat shrink or electrical tape to tape up the end of the wire and tuck it away... Alternatively, if you want, you can just cut this wire and be done with it... But, I decided that when I get rid of the car, I wanted to re-enable this feature so at that time I can just remove the tape/heat shrink and stick the wire back into the connector...

Put things back together and you are done... I tested it afterwards and it works like a charm... The only time the headlamp washers will activate is when you press the headlamp washers button...

This is a VERY simple hack... Enjoy!

Awesome write up. I couldn't see the photos but was still able to complete the task. Thanks bro. I've been losing my little chrome trim on my GS430 every time I accidently use the Hw on the freeway. No more. Thanks again for saving a life

Quick Reply: Headlamp Washers Modification (Disconnecting them from windshield washers)