IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 02:43 PM
SCLxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine from Lexus of Riverside, they asked I said no...real easy
Old 12-14-06, 03:04 PM
murph550
Driver

I don't have a front tag on my car, the dealer simply asked and I said i didnt; and that was that. It is a law here, casue just a few weeks ago my friend got pulled over for no front tag on his e36 m, 70 dollar ticket. He still will never put one on though.
Old 12-14-06, 03:15 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Technique
If you really care, you will go there yourself... at 7AM... That's the only way to make 100% sure they don't drill...

"If you want something done right, do it yourself..."
Now THAT would be quite a sight to see. Actually it's doable because the truck drops off shipment in front parking lot between Lexus and Toyota store so as long as you know the vin# you could just stop by and tape the bumper yourself.
Old 12-14-06, 03:22 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Good news: my car is still at the port so she has time to notify the techs not to drill the holes.

Bad news: She said she will try her best for them not to do it but there is a 10% chance they might do it anyway because she cant be at the dealership at 7am when they do the prep work.

Yes I will refuse the car if they drill holes in the bumper. This is such a simple request and it just amazes me why they are making a big deal with it. I'm paying $30k+ on a new car and I want it to be perfect. If they do drill holes in the bumper then i'm NEVER doing business or recommending Longo again.
Btw, my Sales rep called me right before I left work at 7:15am on the day I was suppose to get the car at Longo and they said they were there putting a sign stating NOT to drill a hole. I didn't think he was telling the absolute truth... but now that you made that post about 7:00am.. guess they were telling the truth. Time to send them a Xmas card
Old 12-14-06, 03:23 PM
LexusTime2
Driver School Candidate

Got my IS in CA. They just asked me if I wanted the front plate on and I said no. But I had to sign a form basically saying I understood it was the law. A month later after I got my plates, I went back to the dealer and had them drill the holes and install it anyways because I didn't want to get hasseled by a pig. I'll live with it on.
Old 12-14-06, 03:23 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
That's bullcrap. I showed up at 6:45 am the day I sold rominl his car. That's my handwriting on the painters tape I stuck on there to prevent drilling. Then I went out to breakfast and waited for rominl to show up:
Wait a sec, you work at the dealership? Hmmm why not just buy the cars from you then?
Old 12-14-06, 03:42 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

its true .. ur best bet is to go there at 6:30am and be prepared with tape and marker lol
Old 12-14-06, 03:47 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

AsianGirl007

Do you know any connections at Longo so I know 100% they wont drill any holes. I was considering going there at 7am tomorrow but I have to be at work tomorrow at 6:30am and Longo is an hour drive from my house.

I seriously cant believe why Elise Fong at Longo cant give me a definite answer for them not to drill the holes. Soo simple but they make it complicated.
Old 12-14-06, 03:54 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

No I don't work there..I used to work there and I don't have any connections anymore. I refuse to go back there ever again and will never refer anyone to them.
Since the OP is already deep into working with them I'm just trying to help by telling you their policies and procedures since I'm familiar with it.

**Best thing to do at this point is call back Ben Hoder and tell him you will absolutely refuse a car with holes and let him take care of keeping an eye on Elise and your car.
Old 12-14-06, 06:44 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, dealers just suck... As do 99% of the salesmen that work there... Long live the day when we can buy directly from the manufacturer...
Old 12-14-06, 08:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Long live the day when we can buy directly from the manufacturer...
Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight. Keep dreaming ...... it ain't ever going to happen. The dealers are way too powerful for this to happen and no manufacturer would ever go down this road.
Old 12-14-06, 08:46 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight. Keep dreaming ...... it ain't ever going to happen. The dealers are way too powerful for this to happen and no manufacturer would ever go down this road.
I know... But one can dream... :-)
Old 12-14-06, 09:05 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I told my sales rep at Lexus of Westminster to put a piece of printer paper that says "DO NOT DRILL FOR FRONT PLATE" on the front bumper once it arrived off the truck, which he did. He was pretty cool about it, and agreed that the car looked better without it.
Old 12-14-06, 11:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Regarding the "complaint," I was referring to the previous comment by lobuxracer:

The tone of that implies a complaing of people trying to inquire about their bumpers being drilled, to which you agreed with him.
Quite the contrary. Your perception of what I wrote leads you to believe this. My comment refers to those who, refusing to have the plate mounted, would choose to receive a citation instead of attaching a front plate as required by law.

There is no ambiguity here. The law requires a front plate to be securely mounted to the front of the car. End of story. Refusing to have the plate installed does not mean someone will do it later with tape (also inadequate, and if you took the time to read the law, you would have seen this,) it means the owner is so vain that they would choose to accept the risk of a ticket instead of installing the license plate as required by law because they don't like how it looks.

This is a vanity issue, not a legal issue. "I think it looks better without the front plate" is not a defence against the law, it is a statement from a vain person more concerned about appearance than complying with the law. I do not personally judge anyone by the appearance of the car they drive. I seem to be in the minority here.

If you wish to perceive this as anger, I can't stop you. However, I think it is an immature and foolish perspective. It does not anger me any more than someone posting "How do I get out of this ticket for missing a front plate" does (which is where the legal quote originated.) You want to play, you have to pay. I've played. I've paid. It's life. Quit complaining; either you choose to obey the law or you flagrantly disobey it and choose to pay.
Old 12-15-06, 03:42 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Quite the contrary. Your perception of what I wrote leads you to believe this. My comment refers to those who, refusing to have the plate mounted, would choose to receive a citation instead of attaching a front plate as required by law.

There is no ambiguity here. The law requires a front plate to be securely mounted to the front of the car. End of story. Refusing to have the plate installed does not mean someone will do it later with tape (also inadequate, and if you took the time to read the law, you would have seen this,) it means the owner is so vain that they would choose to accept the risk of a ticket instead of installing the license plate as required by law because they don't like how it looks.

This is a vanity issue, not a legal issue. "I think it looks better without the front plate" is not a defence against the law, it is a statement from a vain person more concerned about appearance than complying with the law. I do not personally judge anyone by the appearance of the car they drive. I seem to be in the minority here.

If you wish to perceive this as anger, I can't stop you. However, I think it is an immature and foolish perspective. It does not anger me any more than someone posting "How do I get out of this ticket for missing a front plate" does (which is where the legal quote originated.) You want to play, you have to pay. I've played. I've paid. It's life. Quit complaining; either you choose to obey the law or you flagrantly disobey it and choose to pay.
I agree with what is said here. This has been an interesting discussion. I think some of the sentiments expressed throughout this thread also would be applicable to such questions as, why do some people consistently exceed the speed limit, run red lights, not stop at stop signs, or yield to pedestrians crossing the street. Unfortunately, the answer would appear to be that the people doing those things are self-obsessed and selfish, and would follow those requirements only when forced to comply (i.e., when the police are present). Perhaps, then, we would not be having this discussion if the police were more consistent with enforcement of laws that require front license plates and the fines and penalties associated with following these laws were of such an amount and nature as to ensure compliance.

Last edited by LeslieRC; 12-15-06 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????