IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus ISx50 Front Spoiler Ground Effects Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 03:46 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus ISx50 Front Spoiler Ground Effects Install DIY

This is the Front Spoiler Ground Effects, aka X-Package Front Spoiler, aka Front Air Dam... I got it from Sewell Lexus as part of the ongoing group buy for around $100 off normal price...

Everything is on my website, but I didn't see a thread on this anywhere so I thought I'd post a DIY here:

The instructions for installing the Front Spoiler Ground Effects Lip are lengthy and call for drilling into the front bumper... I didn't do any of that... The stock front lip is held in place by 9 screws and 2 clips... The Front Spoiler Ground Effects Kit has the same 9 screw holes and 2 clip holes... Plus, it has some double stick tape on the ends to hold the tips against the front bumper... I just installed the new Front Spoiler Ground Effects using the same hardware as the original lip, and the factory double-stick tape that came on the Front Spoiler holds the ends of the spoiler tightly against the bumper... No drilling, no extra tape... I'm sure with drilling and more tape it would be more secure, but if anything is going to rip this Front Spoiler off, it's going to take the entire front bumper with it since there are 9 large screws holding it in...

Here is the car stock, with the stock front lip:

Here are the screws that hold the spoiler in place:

And here are the clips on the end that also hold the spoiler in place, they are the black things above the screws:

Stock airdam removed:

The new Front Spoiler slides right into place and put back the original screws and clips and you're done!

Finished pics:

Hope this helps anybody considering doing the install themselves, it's pretty straightforward...
Old 12-11-06, 03:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! Great pics and description.

Now if someone can put up pics on how to install the rear bumper kit...
Old 12-11-06, 03:53 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

awesome! thanks for the diy instructions! i just placed my order for the lip last night. is there anything that you would have done differently during the install if you were to do it again?
Old 12-11-06, 03:54 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thanks! Great pics and description.

Now if someone can put up pics on how to install the rear bumper kit...
This thread has pretty good pics/descriptions of the rear ground effects install in the second post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ground+effects
Old 12-11-06, 04:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
This thread has pretty good pics/descriptions of the rear ground effects install in the second post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ground+effects
Now, how did I miss that...
Old 12-11-06, 04:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
awesome! thanks for the diy instructions! i just placed my order for the lip last night. is there anything that you would have done differently during the install if you were to do it again?
Hmmmm, well, everything went well, but here are a few tips:

1) Make sure that the front spoiler tabs are all properly in place before you start screwing it in... They sort of slide under the screw holes... You'll see what I mean when you take the stock lip off... It's sorta impossible to photograph, but if you look at the pics I took of the 2 screws, you can sorta see the tabs are under the bumper...

2) Start from the center of the spoiler and snap in the tabs moving outward... Once you are about 1/2 done, then take the double stick tape backing off at the very end... The instructions say to peel 1/2 of the backing off, then after the bumper is installed, to finish peeling it all off... But I just took it all off and made sure I press it firmly in place and snug against the bumper the first time...

Finally, remember, a gap of less 1.5mm and 3.5mm at the two corner points is normal (according to the instructions)... Mine has no gap at the ends where the gap should be less than 1.5mm, and mine has a gap of about 2mm at the curve point where the gap should be less than 3.5mm...

Take your time and you should be fine... It helps to have an assistant as the spoiler is one long piece and they can hold one end of it...
Old 12-11-06, 04:44 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lexus-parts.com/IS_08154-53830.pdf
Old 12-12-06, 02:26 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Damn Technique, you're making it hard for me to resist . . .

BTW, how did you get use of a lift ? Friend's shop ???
Old 12-12-06, 02:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Damn Technique, you're making it hard for me to resist . . .

BTW, how did you get use of a lift ? Friend's shop ???
Yup, exactly... Free use of the lift
Old 12-12-06, 02:42 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Great write up and photos - thanks Technique!

Javier
Old 12-12-06, 03:00 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Technique, can you measure the ground clearance with the new air dam in place. Specifically, right below your front plate, how much clearance from the air dam to the ground. TIA . . .
Old 12-12-06, 03:29 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Technique, can you measure the ground clearance with the new air dam in place. Specifically, right below your front plate, how much clearance from the air dam to the ground. TIA . . .
OK, I went out and measured for you... Looks like exactly 7" from the bottom of the front spoiler in the center (right below the front plate).

From what I saw, the Front Spoiler is not any "lower" to the ground than the stock lip... It just sticks out farther forward... If that makes sense...

Measure your stock lip and post the clearance... Now I'm curious
Old 12-12-06, 06:26 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

This is interesting - I came up with 6.5" from the bottom of the stock front lip to the ground. The stock lip is not parallel with the ground, rather it tapers down from the front to the back, so the back of the lip is the lowest point of the lip. This makes sense since at times I have scraped the lip on curbs, but it doesn't show any scratches from the front . . .
Old 12-12-06, 07:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

This is interesting - I came up with 6.5" from the bottom of the stock front lip to the ground. The stock lip is not parallel with the ground, rather it tapers down from the front to the back, so the back of the lip is the lowest point of the lip. This makes sense since at times I have scraped the lip on curbs, but it doesn't show any scratches from the front . . .
Hmmmm... that's the way I measured, from the tapered down part of the lip, the lowest part near the back... I just went out and re-measured, it's maybe 6.75"...

So it looks like the stock lip and the GFX Front Spoiler are about the same height...

We both have the sport suspension, so it should be the same height...
Old 12-12-06, 07:15 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Outstanding... Looking good.

Quick Reply: Lexus ISx50 Front Spoiler Ground Effects Install DIY