IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Silverstar Replacment Headlight Bulbs

Old 01-30-07, 03:45 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Silverstar Replacment Headlight Bulbs

What do you guys think about these bulbs? Do they kind of look like HID? Is it worth $40.00 for the pair?
Old 01-30-07, 05:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the regular silverstars look like plain old halogen yellow bulbs, there's new ones out call Silverstar Ultra which look a lot more promising. Unfortunately the bulb is tinted blue.

Old 01-30-07, 09:26 AM
Blahzay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these compatible with the 2IS? I seem to recall not being able to find the appropriate size...
Old 01-30-07, 09:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blahzay
Are these compatible with the 2IS? I seem to recall not being able to find the appropriate size...
well the hi beams (9005) "ultra" are on Ebay...don't think the H11 is out yet.
Old 01-30-07, 10:00 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
the regular silverstars look like plain old halogen yellow bulbs, there's new ones out call Silverstar Ultra which look a lot more promising. Unfortunately the bulb is tinted blue.

I currently have these on my Accord. The light they produce is amazing (compared to stock) there is no blue tint to the light they produce, just the bulb. The light is very white and the bulbs are rather powerful.

I'd highly recommend them if you are looking for a whiter brighter light than your stock beams.

If you are still debating and want to see them in action, let me know and i'll take some pics.
Old 01-30-07, 10:06 AM
ano0oj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blahzay
i think the bulb size for the 2is is H11
Old 01-30-07, 10:08 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Buds, I would like to see them in action if you don't mind. I would like to get a HID kit, but know the projectors are not made for HID. I would hope the closest and cheapest solution would be to get bulbs like this.
Old 01-30-07, 10:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Buds, I would like to see them in action if you don't mind.
+1

need pics please!

ps - I searched and found a review of the silverstar ultras as DRL/hi beams...not good....this is from a 3rd gen GS guy....

"Installed Sylvania Silverstar Ultras 9005 for DRL / Hi Beam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, with some time to kill today and a desire to tweak the car some more, I found a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras on sale for $33 at the local auto parts place, and I coupled that with a $10 mfg. rebate - so for $23 to try them out, I said sure.

I was hoping that I might be able to get a daytime "white look" from the lights as opposed to current yellowish hue I have, but after they were installed, the fact that they run on such low power really makes the light output still yellow. No white look at all. Thought I'd post this here for any who may be thinking about trying them out.

Now, that said, they are a nice light and the high beam output is much better than the OEM bulbs. I may try to take some pics later on to show you, but their use as high beams is worth the upgrade IMO."
Old 01-30-07, 10:17 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Buds, I would like to see them in action if you don't mind. I would like to get a HID kit, but know the projectors are not made for HID. I would hope the closest and cheapest solution would be to get bulbs like this.
I'll take some pics when I get home tonight. If you are looking for something similar to the HID blueish light then these won't do it (Sylvania does make a "cool blue" bulb) but as mentioned earlier, if you want a super white light, these are perfect.
Old 01-31-07, 07:42 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Silverstar's on my Accord

Here are the pics I took of my SilverStar Ultra's lastnight. (I need to level them but I think you get the idea of what they look like)

Old 01-31-07, 08:06 AM
gyung
Pole Position

I have the same bulbs for my DRL/High beams. They only run at half voltage on DRL mode, so it's still yellowish. Better than stock, but the last time I high beam someone I could tell it more white. If your replacing your oem headlights and not the DRL/High beam, it might be a pretty good choice IMO. I had some PIAAs on my Subaru but they were so-so, I think these are more clean.
Old 01-31-07, 09:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my 4Runner, and am very pleased. I'd recommend them.

Old 01-31-07, 09:46 AM
Wai
Pole Position

I bought a set for my 4Runner and SLK before. Although they are still far away from HID, they still looked great.

But for some reason, my sets (both sets) burned out rather quickly. So I swapped the stock ones back on. I didn't feel like spending $40 every few months.
Old 01-31-07, 09:49 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wai
I bought a set for my 4Runner and SLK before. Although they are still far away from HID, they still looked great.

But for some reason, my sets (both sets) burned out rather quickly. So I swapped the stock ones back on. I didn't feel like spending $40 every few months.
The life on them according to Sylvania's website is about 2 years. I had the regular Silverstars in my accord before these, one bulb burnt out after 6 months. The mechanic at AutoZone suggested I buy some bulb grease and use it on the new ones (I didn't use it on the old ones). I did and so far so good.
Old 01-31-07, 10:20 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Buds
The life on them according to Sylvania's website is about 2 years. I had the regular Silverstars in my accord before these, one bulb burnt out after 6 months. The mechanic at AutoZone suggested I buy some bulb grease and use it on the new ones (I didn't use it on the old ones). I did and so far so good.
Thanks for the advice.
Forgive my ignorance, where do we apply the bulb grease?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Silverstar Replacment Headlight Bulbs