IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How long do you warm up you engine
None, start it and go!
36.40%
About 20 sec., until rpm drops to 1200.
38.31%
About 2 min., until rpm drops to 1000.
21.00%
However long it takes to get water temp up. (post what temp)
4.30%
Voters: 838. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you warm up your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 10:27 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've followed the following scheme with all my cars:
  • If it's a cold start below freezing, let the car (and seats!) warm up for at least 2 minutes.
  • For above-freezing cold starts and all warm starts, start the engine then put on my seat belt, adjust whatever needs adjusting, turn on the radio. This gives the oil pressure 20-30 seconds to get up to normal.
  • Keep RPMs under 3,000 until temp gauge gets past the "C" mark; this includes keeping the trans out of PWR mode to avoid revving.
  • Then keep the RPMs under 4,000 until normal water temp is achieved (just under middle mark on the gauge)
  • Then drive normally; hit redline at least once to burn off any carbon deposits.
Old 11-22-06, 10:31 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
more of a whining sound than a hum..its the direct injectors working overtime.
The direct injectors make a clicking sound, kinda like a diesel engine.
When the engine is cold, the port injectors also work, which may explain the humming sound.
In any case, it's normal.
Old 11-22-06, 10:33 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
I calculated the miles I get per tank in both cases. If anything, idling for a longer time "should" waste more gas, but in my situation, I get more miles to the tank if I let my car idle for 5 minutes
The warm engine is more fuel efficient, so you make up for the gas wasted during warm up.

However warm up times over say, 2 minutes, waste gas and pollute more.
Old 11-22-06, 10:37 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
The warm engine is more fuel efficient, so you make up for the gas wasted during warm up.

However warm up times over say, 2 minutes, waste gas and pollute more.
No offense, but that seems a little backwards. The engine is warmed up by burning fuel, and it warms up quicker if the fuel is burned in shorter time.
Old 11-22-06, 10:37 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KKelly
One of the things not good for cars is a lot of start ups and a short drive.

Let me ask a question. How many guys here have driven a car until it starts burning oil and needs a rebuild? Thought so. However, I guess putting stress on parts when cold could result in what happened to me as set forth below.

I rebuilt my M5 at 161,000 due to a broken valve spring. When they had the head off there was some detonation damage so I decided what the heck it is only $13k. It was not using an unusual amount of oil and there were hash marks still on the cylinder walls.
I think that using common sense is the best way to keep an engine running longer:
  • Use synthetic oil;
  • Let oil pressure climb for a few seconds before driving away.
  • Do a short warm up on cold mornings.
  • If sub-zero temps are an issue, get an engine block heater installed - and use it.
  • Use isopropanol dry-gas in the winter.
  • Use good quality gas at the recommended octane.
Old 11-22-06, 10:39 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
No offense, but that seems a little backwards. The engine is warmed up by burning fuel, and it warms up quicker if the fuel is burned in shorter time.
A cold engine burns gas less efficiently, and has higher friction. So the first mile or so will use a lot more gas.

I think. Then again you may have better insight, I'm no expert.
Old 11-22-06, 10:41 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KKelly
My old M5 manual states that the oil temp should be 140 degrees or above before exceeding 4000 rpms or putting the engine under heavy load. As it has an oil temperature gauge I can tell you it takes much, much longer to see any increase in oil temperature as compared to water temp. Depending on the terrain (hills vs. flat) it can take 5-10 miles of driving. I can also say from experience that it takes forever to get it there if it is just idling. I can't count how many times I have passed up a challenge because my engine is not to operating temperature yet.
How true. I miss having an oil temperature and oil pressure gauges.
Old 11-22-06, 10:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

A cold engine burns gas less efficiently, and has higher friction. So the first mile or so will use a lot more gas.

I think. Then again you may have better insight, I'm no expert.
The thing is that it will take X Joules of heat to achieve Y degrees in Z minutes. If the engine is generating half the quantity of Joules, it will take twice as long to reach Y degrees (without dissipation). However, once the engine's temp rises above ambient temp, it will start dissipating heat as well, which means that it will take more than twice as long to reach Y degrees. That extra time results in extra combustion cycles, which will result in even more wear. Then you also need to remember that idling contaminates oil due to blow-by gases...
Old 11-22-06, 05:13 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

The direct injectors make a clicking sound, kinda like a diesel engine.
When the engine is cold, the port injectors also work, which may explain the humming sound.
In any case, it's normal.

So do all IS have same low humming sound when the engine is cold? Don't want to sound dumb since i'm more of a computer guy and not a car guy, what are port injectors, what do they do?
Old 11-22-06, 11:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lexudv
So do all IS have same low humming sound when the engine is cold? Don't want to sound dumb since i'm more of a computer guy and not a car guy, what are port injectors, what do they do?
I haven't heard the hum on my car. I haven't specifically listened for it, so if present it isn't at a noticeable volume level.

Port injectors are the type of fuel injection you'll find on most late model cars and trucks. They spray fuel just upstream of the intake ports on the head. They also make a clicking noise, although since they operate at much lower pressure than those used with direct injection, the clicking is faint -- technicians use a 'mechanics stethoscope' to hear them.
Old 11-23-06, 12:56 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Anyone else have the low humming sound? I just want to make sure that it isn't just my car. And I know it has something to do with the temp since it only lasts for a couple blocks and then goes down until it blends in with the other sounds of the engine.
Old 11-23-06, 07:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If there is a humming sound, I would suspect the fuel pump. Injectors definitely don't hum.
Old 11-23-06, 07:55 PM
guynorib
Driver School Candidate

Wait about 15 seconds after start before placing tranny in gear. If its a cold start situation, drive it very gently keeping rpms under 2000 with throttle less than a third of its travel until water temp is normal, then under 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 miles to completely bring oil temp up. This has always worked for me. The IS tends to warm up faster than the Evo where I always wait until the oil temp gauge shows 60 Centigrade before taking it over 3000 RPM. This can take as much as ten minutes of easy driving in town.
Old 11-25-06, 03:37 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexudv
Now that were on this subject I got a question: I've noticed that my car makes a small humming noise when I drive the car in the morning. This sound gets lower and lower and goes away after driving for about 2-3 minutes. After parking my car at work and turning it on 8 hours later it does it for a little while, but if I just leave it parked for a couple of hours it doesn't do it. I don't know how else to explain this sound, just a faint humming sound.

Anyone else noticed this or have an answer ???
Mine does it, too. I noticed this started happening now that the weather has turned cool. When I take it out of drive and into neutral (at a stoplight), I notice that the engine is idling at 1,000 - 1,200 RPMs. It goes away quickly after a little driving.

I think it is just the engine is operating in the cold engine mode where it idles faster.
Old 11-26-06, 12:43 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Thanks MJB_LEX.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't only my car that was doing this. I agree with you, it only happens for a few minutes while it is a little cold and then it goes away. I wonder what causes this? I'm guessing it some sort of mechanism that's on when the engine is still cold.

Quick Reply: How long do you warm up your engine?