IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Sales Rep gives OFFICIAL info on ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 02:12 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Sales Rep gives OFFICIAL info on ISF

from CSS...a reliable source who has given accurate info on the LS and other cars before and who works as a sales rep from lexus said that his boss went to a meeting in chicago, and saw the LX and ISF...last october, the boss saw the new LS and ES in Toronto, and said that looked exactly like those shots that leaked...so he is reliable

this is what he said

ISF
Well, the car finally surfaced. It has the staggered 4 exhaust pipes in the rear. They look huge! The official name will be the IS-F (not sure about the hyphen). The cowl is raised to show that it's not another regular IS. Oh, and the car will be in showrooms a year from today.
Edit: Oops, forgot to mention it'll have 415hp.

discussion
http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothrea...=353899#353899
Old 10-07-06, 02:13 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

whats a cowl?
Old 10-07-06, 02:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So perhaps it is IS 500f? That would sound ok to me...

IS F
ISF...
ISf...
IS 500f...
IS 500F

Generally I've avoided the 'F' letter because of school grades, but I know that the F1 project was the LS sedan (Flagship #1)...would F stand for Flagship? Or something? I liked IS 500 GT but I guess that's not as original, although the GT 500 has been rumored...maybe that took up the GT designation, leaving F as the choice.
Old 10-07-06, 02:15 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

torque? hybrid ? F.I. ? NA?
Old 10-07-06, 02:35 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

The only thing that the new model of the IS-line needs is (i.e My wish list):
1) Manual Tranny
2) Auto w/ REAL SMG-type tranny
3) Wider Rear tires
4) More HP/TQ (i.e 400+hp/350+TQ)
5) While keeping all of the Lux. features of current IS-series!!

Now THAT would be a one Hellva Car!!
Old 10-07-06, 03:58 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the car is gonna get a normal auto 8 speed tranny from the LS, though. Doesn't seem too sporting or aggressive or, uh, manual (or even SMG-ish) to me.
Old 10-07-06, 09:14 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The ISF (IS500) will be a race car and ...

very expensive. This is the halo car CL members have been asking for. It will have 60 lbs. more torque than the new M3. It will jump to 60 in sub 5's and probably mid 4's. Save your coinage if you want ownage...

Rock
Old 10-07-06, 09:40 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
very expensive. This is the halo car CL members have been asking for. It will have 60 lbs. more torque than the new M3. It will jump to 60 in sub 5's and probably mid 4's. Save your coinage if you want ownage...

Rock
Not to be a party pooper, because I'm loving this info... but the halo car won't be a mid 4 second 0-60. It'll be high 3 or low 4.

Otherwise it's just another fast Lexus, not a halo car
Old 10-07-06, 10:01 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Agreed Ricky....

but it will have to do for now until the LFA is produced. The best we have at the moment is the GS450h at 5.2. The LS460 at 5.4. The 600hl at 4.9 and then the GS460 at ? The ISF will take the crown until we see Toyota podium in F1 then watch for the halo you are talking about. You have to walk before you run...The ISF is sure going to take some steam out of the new M3 which they had to bump up to a V8 because of the IS350 nipping at its heels. The ISF has the interest now so it will delay the I series coupe/conv for a while. An 8 speed tranny was a pipedream in the sixties when I grew up and now it's happening for real...

Rock
Old 10-07-06, 10:10 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Ah I see, a temp halo car.

The only problem I see with the LFA is that I'm afraid it'll be 'another' Lexus. Meaning it'll go 0-60 with the best of them (just like the LS430), have great technology (just like the LS430), be a great drive for it's target audience (just like the LS430), but lack the adaptability of going from sport to luxury, or vice versa (like the LS430).

The SL500/550/55/600/65 is a great car to shoot for as a competitor, and I hope the LF-A can whoop it's ***. $your_deity knows Mercedes needs a competitor to it's ungodly convertible/coupe.

I'm not a fan of two-doors personally so I don't care for the ISF coupe. I'm anxious to see the final specs of the ISF sedan. I hope it's a beaaast with gobs of horsepower, torque, and the only reason I'd consider it: reliability.
Old 10-07-06, 10:33 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default all good points and fair critiques Rick...

but this is the first time Lexus (Luxury) has decided to produce a high performance car for its own sake that is analgous to an M or an AMG. The SL originally stood for Super Light which it no longer can justify as it is a heavy beautiful street car with a big engine. The ISF will be track ready and will have VDIM which none of the cars you mentioned have because it is proprietary to Lexus. Have you ever tried to drive any German V8 RWD in the snow? Of course not because you can't...The LS430 is a wonderful car but the progress of the LS460 just retires it. That and the LS600hl will have to be the Lexus image for now. Are there any Euro Luxury Liners out there that can park themselves? Toyota/Lexus is a juggernaut and the race to number one in the world is only a matter of time. The more expensive a Euro you buy the less reliable it is for some ironic reason...

Rock
Old 10-07-06, 10:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Ricky - agreed. I already have an ungodly fast two door. If they are not planning on 600+hp from the LFA, I'll keep my Supra. Besides, there will never be many people who can claim ownership of an original hardtop TT Supra in the US at any price.
Old 10-07-06, 10:43 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I wonder if the 'F' tag will be a performance signature like AMG and M.

Whatever the SL tag stood for... doesn't matter objectively. The SL600 is a blazing fast car, it's comfortable, and it's basically two cars in world top down and top up

I'm biased btw, I've had an SL500 since 2002.

What exactly is VDIM? What does it do?
Mercedes has had ESP and BMW has DSC. Those are similair to TRAC on my LS430, what does VDIM do that the rest don't?

No snow in Houston

Don't make fun of my LS430! I don't think there's anything in the LS460 that makes the LS430 retired. Perhaps the LS600lh with it's double power, but we'll see.

Autoparking was first introduced in the Prius right? I've heard BMW is developing a system as well. We'll see how reliable that is.

I wonder how reliable the LS600lh and the ISF will be, I hope they'll be rocks.
Old 10-07-06, 10:44 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ricky - agreed. I already have an ungodly fast two door. If they are not planning on 600+hp from the LFA, I'll keep my Supra. Besides, there will never be many people who can claim ownership of an original hardtop TT Supra in the US at any price.
lobuxracer - I love you dude. Don't ask why

Not just 600hp, but 600lb-ft torque as well.
Old 10-07-06, 11:01 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default All nice rides so we know you have excellent..

tastes in cars. My examples were just illustrations of the techno prowess of Lexus. They are the leader in so many areas. I didn't even mention hybrids. Everything gets surpassed eventually. I am hoping to pick up a nice previously owned LS430 when they start coming back in trade on the LS460. We aren't exactly in the snow belt up here in MD either. We do get this very nasty freezing rain that sends people to the sidelines and they just abandon their cars and walk I guess....VDIM will handle that and it will steer the car on its own to maintain stability if it needs a slight correction before it breaks into a spin....I can take a GS430 and as long as I've got all seasons take it out in the snow and it will take turns better than the GS350 with AWD due to the magic of VDIM. Inorder to have VDIM on a car you must first have EPS or Electric Power Steering.

The ISF will have a healthy dose of torque and 415 ponies to play with no matter what pasture you roam.

Enjoy all of your fine cars, Rick and Lobux.

Quick Reply: Lexus Sales Rep gives OFFICIAL info on ISF