Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 03:19 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Quick question for you all...

I have the option to still purchase an extended warranty. The warranty extends to 7yrs 75000miles, 0 deductible. The plan price is $1595.

Good deal or no?
Old 09-28-06, 03:23 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

I opted out of the extended warranty, only because I don't plan on having it more than 5 years or so... so instead, I got the Ultimate Protection Package which covers my vehicle of: rock chips, door dings, ripped interior leather, stained carpet, window chips, and bumper scuffs.
Old 09-28-06, 03:30 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inecstaz
I opted out of the extended warranty, only because I don't plan on having it more than 5 years or so... so instead, I got the Ultimate Protection Package which covers my vehicle of: rock chips, door dings, ripped interior leather, stained carpet, window chips, and bumper scuffs.
is it really helpful? i mean, what happens when you get rock chips or bumper scuffs? do they refinish that part for free?
Old 09-28-06, 03:38 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

I bought the car with the intent to keep it a while. I paid cash so I own it outright. I just figure 4yr/50,000 miles isn't that much. Ultimately does 3 more years and 25000 more miles for $1600 sound like a good deal? Or no?
Old 09-28-06, 03:45 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JB IS350X
I bought the car with the intent to keep it a while. I paid cash so I own it outright. I just figure 4yr/50,000 miles isn't that much. Ultimately does 3 more years and 25000 more miles for $1600 sound like a good deal? Or no?
That's a good deal, IMO. If your intention is to keep it for awhile, then you should purchase the Extended Warranty.
Old 09-28-06, 04:09 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it's worth it...

To determine if it's worth it, guess the changes of something costing around $1600 or more that is going to break between 50k and 75k miles?

If this is a reliable japanese car, there shouldn't be anything over $1000 that will break before 100k miles unless you are really unlucky...
Old 09-28-06, 04:30 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

the car looks like new everytime I've brought it in...which was twice. for rock chips and scratches.

only $100 deductible. Great package plan.
Old 09-28-06, 06:01 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, how much did you pay for this package? I remember the dealer offered me that, but I rejected it.
Old 09-28-06, 06:34 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extended warrenty:

The good ol boys that sold me my IS, says that I can choose the extended warranty option, anytime I am still currently covered by the standard warranty. I intend to watch the reliability of the IS, and if nothing goes wrong, plan to stay in and ride this low part of the bathtub curve for a while.
But if crazy things start to happen,(cpu on it freaks out or something) then I may purchase extended warrenty or trade. 3 years $1600 dollars, that's a about $533.33 worth of break down per year. Maynot happen cause:
A) you plan on keeping the car which means you will take care of it and not rag it like some of these yahoos
B)Its a good solid built Japanese car, not much may go wrong.
You have 4 years and 50K miles to decide. Watch it and see how it goes.

I had a 1982 Honda accord 5speed. That car was bullet proof. I was the second owner and bought it at 100k miles. It ran like a champ. I sold it at 180k, only cause some yahoo in a 69 chevelle was didlin the CD player and run over me at a red light. It was still in the bathtub curve at 180k and 15 years old. I think Lex will be to. It has a good solid feel about it too.
Old 09-28-06, 07:01 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doctorttt
dude, how much did you pay for this package? I remember the dealer offered me that, but I rejected it.
I paid like 1600 or something like that. It's only offered with purchase... you cant add it. I got it at Lexus of Glendale.
Old 09-28-06, 07:07 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid like 1600 or something like that. It's only offered with purchase... you cant add it. I got it at Lexus of Glendale.
You can add the extended warranty. The dealership tried to screw me by paying $2400 for the warranty when i can get it for $1855 from Lexus direct. DON'T let the dealership screw you by charging you more. Mario in financing at Tustin Lexus tried that quickie on me, DENIED!!!
:
Old 09-28-06, 07:46 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Same here, my dealership financing person tried telling me this story that I cannot get the extended warranty after I drive the car off the lot. At first I told her that I had to think about it then (I had a week before I picked up the car)...Then I read a few posts and spoke to some friends and found out they're just playin' me, on top of that it was like 1,800 for 5yrs/75,000 miles...and she just about started cryin' when I told her "No! " If I decide to get the warranty I will before the standard warranty runs out, no need to fork over the cash now.
Old 09-29-06, 04:42 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

I'm not talking about the extended warranty...I'm talking about the Ultimate Protection Package.
Old 09-29-06, 07:25 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

I called and talked to Lexus Corporate today. You can purchase the extended warranty on the car up until your factory warranty runs out. One thing to keep in mind though is prices on warranties usually only go up, not down. I think I will be purchasing either 7/75k for 1595, or the 7/100k for 1895 through one of my local dealerships here. It's about $300 less than the Toyota/Lexus Care warranty and the only difference with it is that if you take it out of state to get fixed you pay a $50 deductible. As long as I get it fixed as one of the United Auto Group dealerships here then I will have $0 deductible. I also found out I can purchase an extended warranty from basically any dealership in the US.

Have any of you guys looked into this and if so what prices did you find?

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-30-06, 07:23 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by KenBT
Wow... didn't completely read your post.

Your $1895 appears to be not the genuine LEXUS warranty.

$1585 was the Lexus and ZERO DEDUCTIBLE.

So means... actually... savings over $310.00
Ken, I PMed you.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty