IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bubble in my tire @ 7200 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 10:26 PM
lexKimmel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubble in my tire @ 7200 Miles?

I have the stock Dunlops and i was noticing a little pull and vibration I looked at all of the tires an found a bubble in my pass.(right) rear tire.

Any one else have this problem? Will the dealer cover this?

Last edited by lexKimmel; 09-27-06 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 10:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I've had bubbles in my tires before, not on my Dunlop's though. Just broke 16k miles today. Bubbles are not necessarily beucase of a defect in the tire. It could have been caused by hitting a pot hole or curb.
Old 09-27-06, 11:02 PM
lexKimmel
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
I've had bubbles in my tires before, not on my Dunlop's though. Just broke 16k miles today. Bubbles are not necessarily beucase of a defect in the tire. It could have been caused by hitting a pot hole or curb.
No curb or pot hole only other person to have my car was Lexus
Old 09-28-06, 12:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a bubble last week in my front driver side tire (10,000 miles). I went to the dealership and they said that it's classified as a road hazard, and it's not covered by the warranty... Then they tried to sell me a $250 Dunlop Sport Maxx + $40 mounting and balancing. Needless to say I just drove away and bought the tire somewhere else for half the price.

Javier
Old 09-28-06, 02:12 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Happened to me last week as well. Put new Bridgestone S03's on my wife's '05 S500 sport and 1k miles later a sidewall bubble developed. 1 tire = $320 mounted and balanced with a quick explanation that sidewall bubbles are not covered. I think it's the tire manufacturers saying that they don't want to cover it under warranty. Pothole or impact is a pretty standard response.
Old 09-28-06, 02:54 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

drive more carefully.. even going over rail road tracks can cause bubbles in a low profile tire
Old 09-28-06, 03:31 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitting an uneven road surface, even at low speeds, could result in a sidewall bubble. Frankly, if your car is equipped with low-profile tires, it makes sense to purchase the road hazard insurance that's offered for tires and wheels.
Old 09-28-06, 06:02 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take it to your dealer for their opinion. I would not be surprised if they are able to do something for you... (like replace the tire)
Old 09-28-06, 07:51 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

i work for discount tire co... a impact break (bubble in sidewall) is not covered under manufacture warranty through the dealership or dunlop. manf warranty only covers defects from the manufacturer.... it should state that in ur book... take it to a discount tire or americas tire near you and most likely they will give u a prorated amount... anyways thats what i would do if u were at my store. hit me up if u have any questions.
Old 09-28-06, 08:43 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default tire warranty

"manufacturer warranty only covers defects from the manufacturer.."

A knot or 'Bubble' on the side of a tire looks like a defect to me. If it was curbed you can see the bent rim or trauma to the sidewall. If cut, well thats obvious. Pothole, big enough to hurt a tire should bend a rim. I can see that as hazard. They should replace the tire if neither shows.
I am not driving on one with Belts separating in it, thats for sure. Go buy yourself a tire, don't take a chance on a sidewall blowout.

Not blaming you Mr.aristo, you're just the messenger

Sounds like the same load of Horse crap I heard from firestone several years ago when a knot appeared on the sidewall of tire a friend of mine had on his explorer. It was right before the massive firestone tire recall. My friend went and bought a set of Michelin LTX's the next day. He was re-imbursed through Ford.
Old 09-28-06, 10:44 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear that! Even though I paid more for my car than many of you guys, my dealership DID offer a free road-hazzard warranty that covers stuff like that. You might let your dealership know others are doing so, and see if they help ya out.
Old 09-28-06, 10:48 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you didn't hit anything for sure then maybe the tire is defect. There should be a cut inside the tire.

Change it before it blow.
Old 09-28-06, 10:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I hit a rock on a mountain road once that caused a sidewall bubble and tire failure shortly after. The rim was not bent and there was no indication on the sidewall that it had been cut. It failed internally from the impact.

OTOH, I've bent the rims on my Supra three times, once bad enough to crack the inner bead on the rear. I never had the S02s I was running at the time get hurt from this. This is also why I am a bit concerned about the 18" wheels on my 2IS.
Old 09-28-06, 11:44 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with my tires about 2 months ago. I brought it in to the dealer and they said that I might of hit a pothole or something. But they replaced it free of charge because I referred so many people to them.
Old 09-29-06, 09:22 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GreyHound
"manufacturer warranty only covers defects from the manufacturer.."

A knot or 'Bubble' on the side of a tire looks like a defect to me. If it was curbed you can see the bent rim or trauma to the sidewall. If cut, well thats obvious. Pothole, big enough to hurt a tire should bend a rim. I can see that as hazard. They should replace the tire if neither shows.
I am not driving on one with Belts separating in it, thats for sure. Go buy yourself a tire, don't take a chance on a sidewall blowout.

Not blaming you Mr.aristo, you're just the messenger

Sounds like the same load of Horse crap I heard from firestone several years ago when a knot appeared on the sidewall of tire a friend of mine had on his explorer. It was right before the massive firestone tire recall. My friend went and bought a set of Michelin LTX's the next day. He was re-imbursed through Ford.

i see it happen everyday its happend to me, i have had impact breaks on my tires that haven't damaged my wheel.. i see it happen to customers everyday. it doesn't matter what type of tire u have if its a low pro and ur not careful its gonna happen, whether its a pothole, going over railroad tracks, lots of things cause it... when u are driving it doesn't have to be a pothole... but anything that suddenly impacts the tire causes the tire to pinch between object and rim.... if u take the tire off the wheel and look on the inside u will see a little cut. that is not a manufacture defect. look in ur warranty book it will say right on there that impact breaks are not covered. obviously u want some1 else to pay for it ... your the customer the customer is always right... lol u can deal with lexus all u want i almost gauruntee they won't do anything... they will probably send u to a dealer such as discount or americas tire... if i were u i would just go in if your tires are good enough they will probably give u close to full reimbursement on that tire

Quick Reply: Bubble in my tire @ 7200 Miles?