IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Prior to my appointment with AeroTect.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 09:19 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prior to my appointment with AeroTect.....

I have an appointment with AeroTect for my clear protection film installation next week. I have in front of me two touch up paints (062-OB and 062) for the crystal white. My question is: which is the base coat or which do I use first? This is my first attempt at touch up paint.

Also what do you think.....install bra only on the hood and forget the rest? Or do the bumper and fender as well? I have two chips on the hood and this is the area that is most noticable. I gave up on the bumper a long time ago.
Old 09-21-06, 09:32 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well for me, I did the hood, fenders, bumper, door handles, and rear bumper (top side)

Then again, i did this when the car had 400 miles.

Not sure about the touch up paint. maybe som1 who used it can chime.
Old 09-21-06, 10:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
I have an appointment with AeroTect for my clear protection film installation next week. I have in front of me two touch up paints (062-OB and 062) for the crystal white. My question is: which is the base coat or which do I use first? This is my first attempt at touch up paint.

Also what do you think.....install bra only on the hood and forget the rest? Or do the bumper and fender as well? I have two chips on the hood and this is the area that is most noticable. I gave up on the bumper a long time ago.
That's odd, Toyota usually has one bottle for just regular touch up. They gave you two bottles? The newer Toyota/Lexus paints have the brush tip and if you pop off the clear cap, you can use it as a pen style tip.
Old 09-21-06, 11:41 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

That's right! Lexus gave me two bottles, each with the pen. I don't see any brush tip.
Old 09-21-06, 11:52 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Seriously, I can go either way at this point.....add a clear bra or go without one. My installation appointment is next week and I'm still debating it. Because 90% of my drive is freeway, I will expect more paint chips.....but mean lucky so far with more than 5000 miles. My bumper has several chips and the hood has two. Whenever I figure out the two paint bottles, I'll damp some one in each spot. Since the car is white, it shouldn't look so bad. The prep work seems cumbersome.....unless Aero Tect does the prep.

Anyway, for those who have the clear bra, how's life with it? What if you decide to remove it in the future, would it ruin the paint? Yellow?
Old 09-22-06, 02:38 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how much would they charge just for the hood? i noticed that the bumper sorta absorbs some of the chips. if price is an issue, aerotect has that 10% off special for clear bra installs that are done on a monday or tuesday i think in the month of oct.

aerotect does sorta prep it before they put the clear bra on. they spray some solution on it to strip the wax first. i'm happy with my clear bra cuz it gives me some peace of mind when following huge trucks on the fwy.
Old 09-22-06, 07:09 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

No, the price of $495 is not the issue, it's the condition of my bumper. I waited too long for the clear bra and as the result of constant hwy driving, my bumper shows wear. So I wonder if it's even worth having the bumper done. Definitely want the hood done to prevent further damage.
Old 09-22-06, 07:15 AM
United #10
Pole Position

Use the 062-OB first until dry. then apply 062.
Old 09-22-06, 08:21 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Maybe you should repaint the front bumper, then have it settle in for awhile, have the clearbra install, and not worry about it later. Also definitely do the hood... a huge rock the size of a golfball flew at my car going up the I5 freeway, and without the clearbra covering the hood, I'm sure I would see a 1 inch gash there now. Instead it's a tiny nick that I can live with.

Fenders is also a must... chips all over the place. If you know the freeway you're driving will have small debris (like the 5 freeway)... then plan on getting it.
Old 09-22-06, 11:25 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I'd do the whole CL pkg (full bumper, 20" hood, front fenders & mirrors).
If you think your bumper is trashed after 5k, what will it look like in 20k ???
Don't repaint the bumper, apprasiers or brokers will think you've been in an accident and ding your trade in or resale value. If I were you, don't touch up anything, have them apply the film first, and if it's still noticeable or bothers you, touch up the film. I had 2 dings in my bumper from the license plate and after they put on the film, I put on the touch up paint. Looks alot smoother and cleaner. You definitely want film on the side mirrors, can't tell you how much crap accumulates on the mirrors . . .
Old 09-22-06, 04:57 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$500.00 is cheap.

What type of film?

I used 3M for mine. They did a great job.

They tinted all windows except windsheild with 3m CS tint and 3m clear bra film. cost me $850.00
Old 09-22-06, 08:07 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

You mean AeroTect will apply the film over the unrepaired chip? Wouldn't that be lumpy?
Old 09-22-06, 08:15 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had 2 chips on my hood before installing the clear bra. i just touched it up with touch up paint. you can see a small air bubble in it since it's like a pock mark but you gotta look really close to see it. same with some small chips i had in my bumper.
Old 09-23-06, 12:53 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
You mean AeroTect will apply the film over the unrepaired chip? Wouldn't that be lumpy?
Nope, my experience is that the film actually smoothes it out. I put touch up paint on the film and you cannot tell. Francisco recommended this to me. Initially I wanted him to use some of the red vinyl over the chips, but the vinyl was too red and didnt match my paint. . .