IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS250 w/ High Intensity Lights..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 06:20 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thanks for all the reponses...i guess im just used to seeing the hid lights through an acura tsx. Maybe Lexus and acura have different types of High Intensity Lights, because i noticed that my acura had "Bi-Xenon" HID lights, where as lexus just states "High Intensity Lights", maybe there really is no difference.
To get it straight about hid's being standard...website states they are an option now on 250's, but my dealership gets them already ordered with the HId package, therefore to me they came standard, but yes there is a charge of $850 for them on invoice.
Old 09-14-06, 06:34 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Standard" implies part of the BASE price.

Bi-Xenon = both low beams AND high beams are HID lights (Most cars with HID are just for the low beams)
Old 09-14-06, 07:08 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the IS has bi-xenon hid's also. when you turn on your high beams, you can hear the shroud around the bulb move up then back down when you turn the high beam off.

the blue/purple color from bimmers n audis n the like are due to it's projector design. if you look at the headlight straight on, it'll be white. but if you look at it at an angle you'll see the blue/purple flicker/cutoff. the rx that i had as a loaner had a noticeable blue cutoff/flicker. some people would take the entire projector assembly from say an e55 and retrofit it into another car like an integra just to get that blue/purple flicker.
Old 09-14-06, 08:30 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

your HID looks yellow because it hasnt "color shifted." usually it takes 300-500hrs of usage to color shift a whiter color.
Old 09-14-06, 11:02 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by is350
your HID looks yellow because it hasnt "color shifted." usually it takes 300-500hrs of usage to color shift a whiter color.
ok i will stop here then, after reading all these posts im convinced that i have HID's, im just saying they look different from my acura tsx..thats all. So I will give it time and see. although my tsx was a nice blue white from the get go...but never the less im happy i have a IS250...
Old 09-14-06, 11:22 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
FYI - HID means High Intensity Discharge, so they are indeed 'high intensity lights'. Are you slightly color blind or have poor night vision ? Not being offensive, but to my untrained eye, it's apparent when driving at night (not dusk or dawn) by the amount of light emitted on the road compared to the other cars driving along with you, whether you have HIDs or not. HIDs by far put out more light and have a whiter hue than the standard halogen bulb (turn on your foglights for a quick comparison). Now some european makes (Audi, MB, Bmw) emit a bluer light, but they don't throw out any more light than the IS HIDs.
I dont think this is exactly accurate, at least to my understanding (please correct me if wrong but...). Other car manufacturers use better projectors just like drshoe said below.

Originally Posted by DrShoe
Honda and Acura uses better projectors in their headlights than other cars with projector HIDs. The HID in the S2000 is really nice and bright as well as the TL and TSX. They seemed bright white with a little blue in it. I don't think I have seen a new IS with HID in person yet.
(again, please correct me if I am wrong...)
The bluer light you are seeing, could be the HID's, but then compare any car with HID's (no matter how yellow they seem)to any halogen, and you will see a distinctive difference in color. In reality, mainly the color you are seeing is indeed from the projectors. Again like drshoe mentioned, acura, honda and some other manuf. use better more clearer projector assemblies. IF you have ever seen a S2000 in person, the color is crazy, it is so purple/blue (you would swear the color came from a 10,000K+ bulb), but I garauntee it will outperform just about any other OEM HID/xenon system (including IS) on the road to the exception of the 04+ LS 430 (whose output is wider)

The color you are seeing isnt coming from the bulb but rather from the "flicker" from the projectors. It is this flicker that makes 90% of all the color that you see on the road. and these cars even the s2000 use OEM 4300k bulbs, same as IS.

I think the only way to get more color out of your IS HID's is to:

1. wait for the bulb to color shift, this will bump your bulb to about 5000k maybe a little more. But your bulb then, while having more color, wont be as bright.

2. get different bulbs

3. mod your assembly i.e. cutoff shield mod/washer mod.

4. replace your projectors with better ones.

I am not familiar with the deminsions of the IS projector, but it is very possible that the lenses of the IS could be interchangeable with more clearer lenses, which should give you more color.

You could also do all of these for some crazy hybrid color accompanied by excellent output. All in all the quickest method is to sell your OEM bulbs and get reliable bulbs such as the philips Ultinon, although you would be (technically) sacrificing brightness and lumens.

Last edited by DonJuan45i; 09-14-06 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 10:47 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm not a HID expert, but I am referring to the light emitted on the road from the persepective of the driver and/or passengers. If I'm sitting in my IS with the lights on, next to my sister's Audi A6 with her lights on, both cars put out the same 'amount' of light on the road, altho the Audi's lights appear to be a bit 'whiter' than mine. No clue what the projectors look like if you look at them head on, or about the flickers. Just a layman's interpretation on HIDs from a real world perspective . . .