IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any downside in having ISx50 oil changed at a Toyota dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 08:45 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any downside in having ISx50 oil changed at a Toyota dealer?

Subject says it all... Just wondering if anyone knows of any cons (downside) to having a lexus serviced for an oil change at a Toyota dealership.
Old 09-12-06, 08:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not too much difference for an oil change only. There may be specific details that a Lexus technician will be able to see more often, but nothing too specific with a simple oil change.

Now if you do a 15k or 30k maintenance check, a Lexus dealership may be able to be a bit more thorough...
Old 09-12-06, 09:56 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

the last time i went to toyota for an oil change, the only thing i noticed was a heavier wallet. seriously, there was no difference that i could tell. i would check to make sure they have the filter for you car.
Old 09-12-06, 09:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250
the last time i went to toyota for an oil change, the only thing i noticed was a heavier wallet. seriously, there was no difference that i could tell. i would check to make sure they have the filter for you car.
the 3.5 V6 Rav4 and Camry use the same filter in the ES/GS/RX/IS 3.5 V6
Old 09-12-06, 10:16 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Along with the 3.5 Avalon. They have the filters and they'll take a special oil if provided.
Old 09-12-06, 02:40 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do all your maintence at a toyota dealer, even the 30, 60, 90 thousand miles preventative maintenance. Just to find the difference in price, i called a toyota dealership for all fluid drains(trans,diff,coolant,PS, brake, oil) and the usual inspection plus replacing the PCV valve, gave me a price of 700 bucks while the same exact service at a lexus dealership was 1800 bucks. Just be wise with your money. Spending less doesnt mean you get shoddy work. Another reason why i would go to toyota is because there are 3 fold as many toyotas out there then Lexus' so when you hear "practice makes perfect" the toyota mecanics are busier than lexus' mechanics thus better trained, JMO.
Old 09-12-06, 02:48 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dshahs420
I would do all your maintence at a toyota dealer, even the 30, 60, 90 thousand miles preventative maintenance. Just to find the difference in price, i called a toyota dealership for all fluid drains(trans,diff,coolant,PS, brake, oil) and the usual inspection plus replacing the PCV valve, gave me a price of 700 bucks while the same exact service at a lexus dealership was 1800 bucks. Just be wise with your money. Spending less doesnt mean you get shoddy work. Another reason why i would go to toyota is because there are 3 fold as many toyotas out there then Lexus' so when you hear "practice makes perfect" the toyota mecanics are busier than lexus' mechanics thus better trained, JMO.
Agreed. The only downside to going to a Toyota dealership is the mechanics there are probably 3 fold LESS experienced working on Lexus. Now, I understand that Toyota and Lexus are very similar, even identical in some ways, but in those ways in which they are different, then the Lexus mechanics have an edge.

Is the ISx50 built on a Toyota platform or is it new from the ground up?
Old 09-12-06, 03:13 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

My local Toyota dealer is across the street from the Lexus dealer, they'll turn you away and tell you to go across the street. Other than the comp 5k service, I'll have a local independent Toyota shop do the routine maint stuff. I'll save the warranty or hardcore repairs for the Lexus dealer . . .
Old 09-12-06, 03:13 PM
lexi06
Rookie

Originally Posted by Technique
Agreed. The only downside to going to a Toyota dealership is the mechanics there are probably 3 fold LESS experienced working on Lexus. Now, I understand that Toyota and Lexus are very similar, even identical in some ways, but in those ways in which they are different, then the Lexus mechanics have an edge.

Is the ISx50 built on a Toyota platform or is it new from the ground up?
The way I see it, the ISx50 is a Corolla on steroids
Old 09-12-06, 03:25 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexi06
The way I see it, the ISx50 is a Corolla on steroids
The ISx50 shares its platform with the GS, just a shortened version. All mechanical parts used in Lexus is Toyota so maintaining them is similar. If a mechanic can work on a toyota, its no different if that same mechanic is working on a lexus.
Old 09-12-06, 04:17 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dshahs420
The ISx50 shares its platform with the GS, just a shortened version. All mechanical parts used in Lexus is Toyota so maintaining them is similar. If a mechanic can work on a toyota, its no different if that same mechanic is working on a lexus.
But it's a dedicated lexus platform then right? Not like the old es and the camry?
Old 09-12-06, 06:37 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the 3.5 V6 Rav4 and Camry use the same filter in the ES/GS/RX/IS 3.5 V6
the filter elements for the 250 and 350 are different.. so in my case, i make sure they have the correct filter for my car.
Old 09-12-06, 11:11 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Can someone expand on this, I know that there are different part #s for the 250 & 350, but what are the actual differences b/w the filters ? Different size or shape, more or better filter media, etc ???
Old 09-12-06, 11:29 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I know in Japan Toyota MarkX share the same platform with the IS, no way the IS share the same platform with Corolla!! Not even Camry!! Yeah IS and GS has a lot of command parts if you look at the parts number you will see...
Old 09-12-06, 11:34 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are lucky that Toyota and Lexus not share the same workshop... In Macau they are under the same dealer (only one dealer in Macau and Hong Kong) there are no differents between Toyota and Lexus even Daihatsu share the same workshop!! I don't know the prices are the same or not but if I pay as much as a GS I will be happy! But If I pay more than a 2.4 Camry I will be very upset!! The first two services are free 1000K and 5000K and the first service I had just changing the oil they charged me 1400HKD already!! I normally spend around 1000HKD for an oil change with high end oil tho! So I am thinking not to take the IS to the LEXUS services dept. but that will volid the warrenty tho... I don't know what to do...

Quick Reply: Any downside in having ISx50 oil changed at a Toyota dealer?