IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quality issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 07:13 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quality issues

A few years back I ventured on this site and commented about the various problems I had experienced with my 2002 Mercedes C-230. I must have had twenty hits telling me how great the Lexus brand was and they never have a problem, yada, yada, yada. So I listened to you guys and here's what happened since.

Well, I've had my new 2006 IS250 for less than a month and it's in the shop with a mirror that does not dim as it should. No big deal really and I'm driving a new IS350 around. However as I'm shutting down the loaner for the night I tried to shut the moonroof and it will not shut. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying with no luck. It wants to stay in the tilt up mode. The loaner has only 175 miles on the clock and was built back in May while mine was built in July. Both were put together in the 'famous' Tahara plant.

What's up with that?
Old 09-11-06, 07:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
I must have had twenty hits telling me how great the Lexus brand was and they never have a problem, yada, yada, yada. So I listened to you guys and here's what happened since.
Good life lesson... don't believe everything you hear.
Old 09-11-06, 07:40 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

How true.............It's really not that big of deal. But I was surprised some. Bottom line is I really like the car, it's ride and handling and the just overall feel of all the switchgear, etc. I have little doubt that the car will bring many years of driving joy.
Since the loaner has no owner's manuel in the car and mine is in the shop. Is there any safety issue I'm missing in trying to close the moon roof. I mean I tried all the buttons, etc?
Old 09-11-06, 07:42 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember the sun roof thing happening to me when i first got my car. it was an error on my part. dont remember what it was though.
Old 09-11-06, 07:45 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of being "obvious", make sure the pointer is pointing directly to the front, and not to the right a little.
Old 09-11-06, 08:16 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

why would you care about the functionality on another loaner car? as long as your car is fine.....
Old 09-11-06, 08:33 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
why would you care about the functionality on another loaner car? as long as your car is fine.....
Two reasons really:

1) It's a Lexus with a problem that might happen to my car &.....
2) I respect the property of others as I do my own.

Old 09-11-06, 08:42 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
No offense but that's kind of an ignorant statement given the similarities of the two cars.
Old 09-11-06, 08:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
No offense but that's kind of an ignorant statement given the similarities of the two cars.
LOL, no that's not what I meant, stay on topic man. Topic = Quality Issues

I should have said "why are you concerned with the [apparent] quality of a "loaner"...."

I have been in loaner ES330 that was nearly a wreck but I'm pretty sure not all ES's are problematic...I didn't even give it a second thought. It's like getting in a Hertz rental car....
Old 09-11-06, 08:57 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Good life lesson... don't believe everything you hear.
And only half of what you see.
Old 09-11-06, 08:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Every brand has their jinxed cars. But for every one of those, there will be ten C230's with even more issues... OK, I obviously pulled that number out of my ***, but you know what I mean. I just hope you're not insinuating that this somehow proves that Lexus is just as unreliable as Mercedes.

I don't want to sound like some biased, defensive nutjob, but it's a fact that Lexus is the most reliable major automaker in the globe, whereas Mercedes is down there with Land Rover. Not really an opinion... Anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove otherwise.
Old 09-11-06, 09:11 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Hello!!! RockGuy3.
Did you not read my earlier post where I said in part: "I have little doubt that the car will bring many years of driving joy". I'm very, very happy to have my Lexus.....

I'm still wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the moon-roof not closing? And yes, the pointer was facing the front.......and the side and everywhere else and still would not close the roof!!!
Old 09-11-06, 09:17 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Every brand has their jinxed cars. But for every one of those, there will be ten C230's with even more issues... OK, I obviously pulled that number out of my ***, but you know what I mean. I just hope you're not insinuating that this somehow proves that Lexus is just as unreliable as Mercedes.

I don't want to sound like some biased, defensive nutjob, but it's a fact that Lexus is the most reliable major automaker in the globe, whereas Mercedes is down there with Land Rover. Not really an opinion... Anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove otherwise.
I have a 2005 MB CLK and a 2006 IS 350. I have no qualtiy issues with either but still prefer the MB. So many little items the MB has that still is missing on Lexus. Sorry

Aloha
Old 09-11-06, 09:25 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Just remember when you are on top the only place you can go from there is down. Lexus won't be on top forever as much as I hope they do but lets face reality.
Old 09-11-06, 09:56 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kepeli
Just remember when you are on top the only place you can go from there is down. Lexus won't be on top forever as much as I hope they do but lets face reality.
Speaking to that there was an article recently about Toyota being concerned with a number of recalls lately and their desire to produce more cars. Think about it. They have sold something like 37000 IS models (2006) compared with approx 2400 IS300 (2005). That's a heck of an increase and might be a sign that their pushing the cars out to fast.

There was a time when nobody could touch Mercedes quality right up until some corporate beancounter decided to start cutting corners and we now know how that turned out.

Hopefully that Japanese mindset will continue to demand a quality produt and the pride and pursuit of perfection will carry on. PLease................

Quick Reply: Quality issues