IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 02:47 PM
lexKimmel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav alternative

I figured this may be helpfull to some people who want Nav and didnt get it.

I have a is350 i didnt want nav cause I have a Dell Axim x51v (a PDA) with Gps it works good but I sill wish i got the NAV.

Well I found a really good mount from kuda on ebay. Heres the link but I went direct to kuda (not any cheaper) i got 2 though.

I also attached a magnet to the back side of it so when i took the pda with me i didnt have a stupid looking plastic bracket there wich kuda gives you.

The cool thing about the pda is I also have all my music down loaded in to it wich I can plug it in to the AUX jack and the gps speaks to me through the music I play. My next step is having the wires hidden so there not all over(power and Aux) and getting a new gps voice activated program (which they do make just havent had time to order it).

So the bottom line its apain in the a** to get it all working but its an mp3 player like an ipod a Gps an organizer also there are programs which will pair your blue tooth cell phone and head set with it and your phone book with it and take addresses from your address book (outlook) and send them to the gps. oh and its all portable I use it at the gym as an mp3 player and i down load new map so when I'm on vaction.

So I guess its better in many ways just a pain in the A** to set it all up.

Alot cheaper than the nav also. ask me more if you intrested.

Bad thing no back up cam. I'm working on it though

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...06-21-447.html

Last edited by lexKimmel; 09-09-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 08:07 PM
LaRock
Rookie

You could also get a Garmin Nuvi 350
Old 09-09-06, 08:24 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but why wouldn't you buy one stock? I get you have a PDA for it but still.

I think the dash looks incomplete without the nav screen. Also you get the back up camera and bluetooth.

Also I think they look kind of cheap, especially with the ISx50.
Old 09-09-06, 08:47 PM
lexKimmel
Driver

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
I know this isn't the point of this thread, but why wouldn't you buy one stock? I get you have a PDA for it but still.

I think the dash looks incomplete without the nav screen. Also you get the back up camera and bluetooth.

Also I think they look kind of cheap, especially with the ISx50.
At the time I couldnt find one with nav and already had the pda with nav and bluetooth. (stupid idea i admit)

later I decided to trade my is350 in for the color I wanted and Nav ML and had one on order I was only going to loose about $2500 (not bad). One week later some one hit me on my drivers side door didnt look that bad but had to replace the door the body shop had to blend the paint (tp) being a pearl paint. Well the next week took it to the dealer and they noticed the new paint and offered me 4K less cause they said the whole side was repainted after using a device to check the paints density. I said forget it and here I am but hey the Dell with the other stuff isnt that bad plus its one less thing to break

Last edited by lexKimmel; 09-10-06 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 10:18 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get the nav because i was not impressed with it. Yes, it was "cool" and it was nifty having all the dash functions in a touch screen, but not worth $2500 to me personally... especially since i rarely use my portable car nav as it is. I have a Garmin i2 from my old car it is perfect for my needs. It's ultra small so i can mount it to the windsheild in the corner by the drivers side pillar.
Old 12-04-06, 06:42 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

The pics on their website looks like the clip mounts in front of one of the vents. Can it be attached between the 2 air vents?