IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got pulled over by a cop - first time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:28 PM
eddo1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got pulled over by a cop - first time!

So after having dinner with my gf tonight and leaving the resturant in SF. I came to a 4 way intersection to make a left turn. I had a stop sign and the main street had none. Next thing I know this police car stops at the intersection like he had a stop sign. (holding all the cars back behind him). I waited for like 5 secs and he still didn't make a move so I slowly pull forward and make my left turn. He followed me for about blocks and starts flashing his lights. I thought, oh crap, what did I do now. So I pulled over and my gf is like getting excited in the passenger seat. (Usually I'm pretty law abiding, never got pulled over before).

So I'm waiting for him to flash that big o' spot light on me and walk up to my window. Next thing I know he pulls up next to me in the police car. So I roll down my windows and said "Hello, what can I do for u?" Then he asks me...........

"How do you like your car?! Any problems with it so far? I haven't seen too many IS350s, mostly IS250s in the city. Any difference between the 07 and 06's? "

We spoke about 10 minutes about the lexus and the 07 Inifiniti G35. Comparing hp figures, how fast the car is , how it compared to my old BMW and on and on. This is all done with me double parked and him tripled parked in the middle of the street. (It was a big street so other cars were able to pass him) We drew quite a bit of attention from the home whom we parked in front of and the home owner was going to come out to see the show. At any rate we finished talking and he thanked me for all the info. Of course I pointed out ClubLexus to him where he can get more info, so maybe he'll come online. At any rate, I was quite surprised and flattered that this car got so much attention. It's like one of those car commercial I'd seen for some american car. Just thought I'd share that with you guys.
Old 09-05-06, 11:42 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Dude, you sure he was checking out the ride and not the GF - chicks dig the uniform . . .
Old 09-05-06, 11:43 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Good to hear a positive police story. I guess its important to realize that pollice officers can be car enthusiasts as well.
Old 09-06-06, 12:44 AM
flyfl1pguy

YEah nice to hear positive police story
Old 09-06-06, 12:46 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow that's pretty bad *** man!
Old 09-06-06, 01:28 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I wonder what would happen had you have something illegal (i.e. drugs) in your car and led the police into a car chase? When all he wanted was to talk about cars.
Old 09-06-06, 01:31 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IUNNO, one good story wont make me change my mind about them.
Old 09-06-06, 03:56 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I work with cops and cop wanna bees and there are a lot of them here on CL in IS350's. We are all just people.
Old 09-06-06, 04:33 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Usually whenever they pull up next to me, they are always pissed and telling me to slow down...
Old 09-06-06, 05:35 AM
DanIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrShoe
I wonder what would happen had you have something illegal (i.e. drugs) in your car and led the police into a car chase? When all he wanted was to talk about cars.
That's a great question - the answer is that it probably constitutes a Fourth Amendment violation because the officer had no probable cause to pull you over. Therefore, the fruits of the search couldn't be used against you.

One city actually had a program where cops pulled over people who were "good drivers" in order give them gift certificates and whatnot. But the fact is, a police stop is a police stop, and activities like those are of dubious constitutional standing.
Old 09-06-06, 06:05 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Its flattering the officer was interested in your car, but I think this stop was not appropriate. Time taken chit-chatting with you about your car takes away from his duties to enforce the law against real lawbreakers (you know who you are!)
Old 09-06-06, 07:30 AM
cdcorn1
Driver School Candidate

As a Police Officer and an IS350 owner, I'm glad you had a positive experience. Tgara, as long as he didn't use his steady red light to make the stop it would be considered a "consentual encounter". If the officer is just flashing his headlights you're not required to stop (per the vehicle code). However, if you took off and started violating CVC sections, now he can legally stop you and possibly impound your vehicle and conduct an inventory of your vehicles contents.
Old 09-06-06, 08:11 AM
mort
Lead Lap

My wife's sister just started dating a local cop who dropped back to our place one night following a party and fell in love with my IS350. We had all been drinking so no ride was possible but he told me if he ever saw my on the roads speeding but not careless he would not charge me, as long as I took him for a ride.
Old 09-06-06, 08:30 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdcorn1
As a Police Officer and an IS350 owner, I'm glad you had a positive experience. Tgara, as long as he didn't use his steady red light to make the stop it would be considered a "consentual encounter". If the officer is just flashing his headlights you're not required to stop (per the vehicle code). However, if you took off and started violating CVC sections, now he can legally stop you and possibly impound your vehicle and conduct an inventory of your vehicles contents.
Thanks for the clarification on the CA Vehicle Code. I'm not sure how many motorists realize this. Calling it a "consentual encounter" is a bit of a misnomer. I would wager that 99% of drivers who see a police car behind them flashing any kind of lights (red or otherwise) would pull over. I'd hardly call that "consenual".

At any rate, I still do not think it was appropriate for the officer to take up his time chatting about cars. If he wants to talk about cars with friends on a break or after hours, fine. But not while he's on duty. As a former CA taxpayer, I would expect that law enforcement officials work during business hours, not pull people over to talk about their rides. The officer's stop may not be technically wrong, but it shows bad judgement in my opinion.
Old 09-06-06, 08:34 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last week I was on my way home from work in my IS250 and was traveling less than 60 in a 55 mph zone. A red SUV started to pass me but he was going just slightly faster than I was. The pass was slow. As we topped a hill, still side by side and going about 60 a state police passed on the other side and imediately turned around. I slowed from 60 down to 55 as the police came up beside my car. I have 5% tint all the way around but police in my area are not too concerned with tint unless they have you pulled over for something else and just want to tack on extra violations. The police slowly passed me and pulled over the red SUV. I drove on home while the red SUV got a ticket I presume. Usually police on the road I travel don't pull you over for anything less than 70, but since this was the beginning of the Labor Day weekend I suppose the police was not giving any leeway.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over by a cop - first time!