IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS less Japanese then the 2006 IS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 10:56 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I'm just glad mine wasn't assembled on a Friday.
I hope not - Friday here is already Saturday in Japan . . .
Old 09-06-06, 11:06 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Before things heat up in here, let me just say one thing. I work at Toyota and know the Japanese (Toyota) Philosophy as I have spent much time learning about it! Since, lexus is made by Toyota it abides by TOYOTA's PHILOSPHY!! And since Toyota makes high quality product, than Lexus vehicles will be just as good in terms of quality because they follow Toyota's philosophy!!! That's the good thing about a Global company...
I hear you, and it's encouraging since you work for Toyota, MMC. But consider this, Lexus as a stand alone division has been around for almost 20 years. I would say 90% of all Lexus produced, are sold in N. America. So wouldn't it be more cost efficient to produce all Lexus in N. America rather than in Japan ? Instead, 90% of all Lexus produced are still assembled in Japan and shipped to N. America - I find this very interesting . . .
Old 09-06-06, 11:19 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
I hope not - Friday here is already Saturday in Japan . . .
When I said Friday, it wasn't as in Fri here in the US.

Btw, the Japanese are known to work on weekends too.
Old 09-06-06, 11:41 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I hope they dont use more and more canadian/us parts every year on the IS. The reason why I like Lexus cause its made in Japan.
I like you because you like M-I-J things!
Good to know another JDM fan!
Old 09-06-06, 11:49 AM
nois3504me
Rookie

Well before purchasing my IS i had a Scion XB. My aunt bought a corolla built in the US/Canada and man there was a HUGE difference in build quality. The XB Fit and finish was immaculate. The Corolla was nice, but you definitely could see some poor quality control. well gotta go im being kicked off the computer!!
Old 09-06-06, 12:28 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nois3504me
Well before purchasing my IS i had a Scion XB. My aunt bought a corolla built in the US/Canada and man there was a HUGE difference in build quality. The XB Fit and finish was immaculate. The Corolla was nice, but you definitely could see some poor quality control. well gotta go im being kicked off the computer!!
i doubt u could tell the difference if nobody told you...
its probably just the car difference..
and if you could tell.. and assembly sux dat bad...
lucky me.. i got the 06
Old 09-06-06, 12:41 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

I wouldn't mind having my car being built in the US.

Assuming the workers got paid $1,000 an hour, built only one car a day, had all the benefits in the world, whose job security is directly tied to customer satsifaction, and who are car aficionados.

As long as the car is perfect and fine...free from problems and rattles, I could careless where it's built.
Old 09-06-06, 12:47 PM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

No disrespect to the hardworking blue collar Americans out there, but there is just something to be said about products made in Japan.

Japan are world reknown for their finished goods - cars are no exception.

American factory workers are to say the least, unmotivated. Now personally I have not visited any companies in Japan, but I have visted many in the US. If you want a better comparison, visit some of the factories in Southern California - you'll be lucky to get one that speaks proper english. Sometimes diversity is a bad thing when it comes to quality finished products.

Without giving a speech about domestic economics in the U.S. just look at some of the finest that the U.S. auto makers have to offer, Ford and Chevy.
Old 09-06-06, 01:24 PM
bgarre
Driver

Originally Posted by S54toIS350
No disrespect to the hardworking blue collar Americans out there, but there is just something to be said about products made in Japan.

Japan are world reknown for their finished goods - cars are no exception.

American factory workers are to say the least, unmotivated. Now personally I have not visited any companies in Japan, but I have visted many in the US. If you want a better comparison, visit some of the factories in Southern California - you'll be lucky to get one that speaks proper english. Sometimes diversity is a bad thing when it comes to quality finished products.

Without giving a speech about domestic economics in the U.S. just look at some of the finest that the U.S. auto makers have to offer, Ford and Chevy.
It's a good thing you can hide behind your computer when you sling insults at America and it's blue collar workers. I'm sure there are many Blue collar workers that would like to show you what it means to be American.

If Japan is so awesome why don't you relocate. We blue collar workers do not want your money or your disrespect.
Old 09-06-06, 03:02 PM
BobsGX
Racer

There was a window sticker on my 06 GX470 that said the vehicle was comprised of 100% Japanese parts. Yet the Michelin tires on it were made in the USA. So how can they say its 100% Japanese?
Old 09-06-06, 03:09 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
There was a window sticker on my 06 GX470 that said the vehicle was comprised of 100% Japanese parts. Yet the Michelin tires on it were made in the USA. So how can they say its 100% Japanese?
I know what you mean man... I faced this SAME problem when I was vacationing in Tokyo last year... I met this cute girl, really cute... She told me she was 100% japanese... But then, get this, she was wearing Nike shoes that were made in China!!! Needless to say, I never spoke to her again... She should have told me she was 95% Japanese and 5% Chinese...

Old 09-06-06, 03:09 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I hear you, and it's encouraging since you work for Toyota, MMC. But consider this, Lexus as a stand alone division has been around for almost 20 years. I would say 90% of all Lexus produced, are sold in N. America. So wouldn't it be more cost efficient to produce all Lexus in N. America rather than in Japan ? Instead, 90% of all Lexus produced are still assembled in Japan and shipped to N. America - I find this very interesting . . .
That is a good question. One reason is that the labor is cheap in Japan compared to USA. However, there are many other Business reasons, which I don't want to mention here...
Old 09-06-06, 03:11 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
I know what you mean man... I faced this SAME problem when I was vacationing in Tokyo last year... I met this cute girl, really cute... She told me she was 100% japanese... But then, get this, she was wearing Nike shoes that were made in China!!! Needless to say, I never spoke to her again... She should have told me she was 95% Japanese and 5% Chinese...

Took the words right outta my mouth...
Old 09-06-06, 04:40 PM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bgarre
It's a good thing you can hide behind your computer when you sling insults at America and it's blue collar workers. I'm sure there are many Blue collar workers that would like to show you what it means to be American.

If Japan is so awesome why don't you relocate. We blue collar workers do not want your money or your disrespect.
Spoken like a true redneck; try putting your beer down first before you hop on the keyboard.

First, please address where in my original thread did I ever insult any "blue collar" americans? exactly, because I never did.

I simply stated during my visit of american factories all I saw was unmotivated workers - not to say all of them are like this, but this is what I have collected from my observation. Please, do not assume I am a tourist. Chew on this idea... would you buy a house before ever stepping foot in it?

Please do not imply of what I am writing as a generalization or stereotyping blue collar americans. You don't need a masters in economics to understand that without blue collar americans, there will be no america; so yes, I do have great respect for blue collar americans.

Based on your last statement, would I be accurate to assume you are union?
Old 09-06-06, 05:31 PM
b3dlam
Driver

Consider the components that make up the car...it would mean the ecu, carpet, transmission..etc etc would have to be sourced/made in the u.s. as well. The increase in costs of production for each separate part would add up very quickly. If the IS cost $10k more, i doubt it would sell as well. Plus, you have to appreciate that toyota parent company is in Japan...and they will look out for japan's interest first and foremost. To do otherwise, it would be commercial suicide for them.

I too, have visited japan and the u.s. The difference in culture, attitude and general outlook is astounding! From my observations, americans are much more confident in the way they speak and present themselves...whereas Japanese ppl, outwardly, are much more humble. However, they do seem to take immense pride in their work...this is SOOO evident from train drivers, street cleaner to shop attendant that I saw. It would be hard to appreciate this difference until you go there and look for yourself. Hate to say it, but the difference is also similar with australians vs. japan.

2c

Quick Reply: 2007 IS less Japanese then the 2006 IS!