IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS less Japanese then the 2006 IS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 10:45 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ah...who cares, I have a 12 yr old japanese car that was 95% Japan and it is still running fine

i'd say 5% are wipers and tires
Old 09-05-06, 11:03 AM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I got 06
Old 09-05-06, 12:50 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

You guys crack me up
Old 09-05-06, 02:46 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Why would it be bad if it's made in Canada/US? All the other Toyota cars (i.e. Camry, Avalon, Tundra, etc...) are made in US and that includes Engine.

Doesn't matter where they're built because the design work is done in Japan and the manufacturing is done here in the US. Toyota is also VERY good at not screwing up the original designs sent from Japan.
Old 09-05-06, 02:49 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

Honestly the 5% built in US/Canada is not that big of a deal. As said above a lot of cars in the Toyota line are assembled in the US (Sienna, Sequoia, most Camry, Avalon, Solara, Corolla / Matrix, Tacoma, and Tundra). I don't see any less of a ranking by the Consumer Reports for the models assembled in US. Some RX's are assembled in Canada. Toyota is not going to accept anything less in build quality just because it is not 100% Japanese. Their expectations are the same and the consumer continually expects more from Toyota.
Old 09-05-06, 02:57 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

I think these people who are saying "Glad I got an '06" are saying that the USA sucks. Or implying something very bad about the USA. If only 5% is USA, and they are glad they don't have that, then that's a huge insult at the USA, or it's workers, or something about the USA.
Old 09-05-06, 03:39 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

First off, ALL IS250/350s (2006 or 2007) are assembled entirely in Japan at either the Tahara or Kyushu plants (period). The % figures you see on the sticker are required by the US govt to determine where the majority of the PARTS are from, and not where it was built. I imagine the 5% figure is for logistical items like spoilers, cargo mats, wheel locks, etc that are added at the Port. Makes no sense for Toyota to assemble an engine in Indiana just to ship it to Japan for assembly or visa versa. But make no mistake, 90% of all Lexus are assembled in Japan, the lone exception is the RX350, some of which are assembled in Canada (not the US). That said, I personally prefer a Lexus assembled in Japan . . .
Old 09-05-06, 04:11 PM
LexFather

Some of yall are a riot....Lexus has proven that no matter here or in Canada, it can build a top quality vehicle. The RX is tops in reliablity and quality in class like the Japanese made Lexus.

Its the COMPANY, not the COUNTRY.
Old 09-05-06, 04:55 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I disagree, not enough data to support this. Remember, ALL LS, ES, GS, SC, LX, GX & IS to date have been assembled in Japan, so there is no data to compare to one assembled in N. America. The RX is the only exception, and those have been assembled in Canada for the last 2 or 3 (?) years, so not enough data to show long term reliability trends . . .
Old 09-05-06, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by socalJD
I disagree, not enough data to support this. Remember, ALL LS, ES, GS, SC, LX, GX & IS to date have been assembled in Japan, so there is no data to compare to one assembled in N. America. The RX is the only exception, and those have been assembled in Canada for the last 2 or 3 (?) years, so not enough data to show long term reliability trends . . .
Well short term, we know they build a reliable RX in Canada. We have had members here visit the plant and give us impressions. Lexus knows how valuable being #1 in quality is to them, no way in HELL they would risk it building in Canada.
Old 09-05-06, 05:52 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Before things heat up in here, let me just say one thing. I work at Toyota and know the Japanese (Toyota) Philosophy as I have spent much time learning about it! Since, lexus is made by Toyota it abides by TOYOTA's PHILOSPHY!! And since Toyota makes high quality product, than Lexus vehicles will be just as good in terms of quality because they follow Toyota's philosophy!!! That's the good thing about a Global company...
Old 09-05-06, 07:27 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
aren't some assembled in canada?
Nope.........I think only the RX crossover is assembled in Canada.........than again I could be wrong. As for the IS it's only made in Tahara or Karusha, Japan. The engines are also from Japan but assembled in another plant and shipped to the plants....
Old 09-06-06, 12:53 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just glad mine wasn't assembled on a Friday.
Old 09-06-06, 03:17 AM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
LOL!

Funny as...
Old 09-06-06, 03:24 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Because robots need days off

Quick Reply: 2007 IS less Japanese then the 2006 IS!