IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 350 w/o sunroof possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 11:36 PM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 350 w/o sunroof possible?

Ok, so I was checking out the lexus site and they list all the different configs with and without sunroof. What I want is a 350 with premium package and X-package, xenons and No sunroof. However, when you do a build on their site, no dice. Can not get the 350 without sunroof.

Do you have to do a special order and has anyone ordered one this way yet? I simply need more headroom and quite frankly never open the sunroof on the RX330 right now.
Old 09-05-06, 05:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the zip code thing shows you what configurations are normally allocated for your area. If it doesnt show the items you wanted you will have to special order in 95% of the time (unless your area somehow gets a config thats not normal to your region, pretty rare)
Old 09-05-06, 06:16 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The '06 brochure shows the sunroof as standard equipment. I'd be willing to bet that the '07 is no different.

I'd like the option to delete the sunroof, as I never use them. They also take up too much valuable headroom, and make the car heavier with a higher COG. But, Lexus knows what's best for me, so...
Old 09-05-06, 07:47 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if deleting the moonroof will kill resale value like it does on Mercedes and others? I've seen Mercedes with no moonroof sell for $5000 less simply because there is no moonroof. Stupid, but reality... Is that just a phenomenon local to Mercedes, or does it affect others brands like lexus, bmw?
Old 09-05-06, 08:00 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
I wonder if deleting the moonroof will kill resale value like it does on Mercedes and others? I've seen Mercedes with no moonroof sell for $5000 less simply because there is no moonroof. Stupid, but reality... Is that just a phenomenon local to Mercedes, or does it affect others brands like lexus, bmw?
Sort of a gamble, on one hand, deleting the sunroof costs more, so technically it adds cost to the initial purchase. On the other hand, the car has no sun roof.

On the bright side, it would make the car generally more unique. (Anyone can buy a vehicle with the sun roof - and since it's standard, it would be easy to find one used). It might be considered a selling point...

-Brian
Old 09-05-06, 08:17 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rys
deleting the sunroof costs more, so technically it adds cost to the initial purchase.
Please explain.
Old 09-05-06, 08:20 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Please explain.
I think he means that you need to buy the X-package in order to get the sunroof-delete option. But I'll let him clarify...
Old 09-05-06, 08:21 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
Please explain.
If I understand right, the "no sunroof" option is only available as part of the X-option package, so a base model could not be special ordered without the sun roof. (You have to spend money on the base plus the package to remove it).

-Brian
Old 09-05-06, 08:21 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Please explain.
Any time the production line has do deviate from the norm, it costs more.
Old 09-05-06, 08:23 AM
rys
Pole Position

Although, I just checked the Lexus site, it costs less to get the X package without the Sunroof so I guess it's still a gamble. (X option with sunroof and X option without has about a $500 difference).

You could try and sell the option during resale as being unique, since most people will not opt for it...

-Brian
Old 09-05-06, 08:33 AM
bgarre
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
The '06 brochure shows the sunroof as standard equipment. I'd be willing to bet that the '07 is no different.

I'd like the option to delete the sunroof, as I never use them. They also take up too much valuable headroom, and make the car heavier with a higher COG. But, Lexus knows what's best for me, so...
You gotta be kidding me, the COG can't raise by more than 1/4 inch with the moon roof. I'll agree that they do add weight and help with the head room.
Old 09-05-06, 09:40 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rys
If I understand right, the "no sunroof" option is only available as part of the X-option package, so a base model could not be special ordered without the sun roof. (You have to spend money on the base plus the package to remove it).

-Brian
I see. I didn't realize that they were offering a delete option. That's good to hear

Originally Posted by bgarre
You gotta be kidding me, the COG can't raise by more than 1/4 inch with the moon roof.
You sure it's only 1/4" inch? How do you know? And if they add another 300 pounds to the IS' weight...who cares, as it's only 300 more pounds... right? Keep giving up consessions, and pretty soon you end up with a portly pig that doesn't do anything well.

Last edited by ff_; 09-05-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-05-06, 02:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying the moonroof adds 300 lbs!? Or was that just a random example weight? Because I wouldn't have thought it would add more than 20 or 30... But I might be horribly misinformed.
Old 09-05-06, 03:18 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Are you saying the moonroof adds 300 lbs!? Or was that just a random example weight? Because I wouldn't have thought it would add more than 20 or 30... But I might be horribly misinformed.
First, the weight 300lbs may be a bit of an overstatement, but let's say it is more like 150lbs. You'll have to understand that the glass may be 30lbs, but there's probably 120lbs of additional metal reinforcement to make the frame rigid.

It's the same with convertibles. They typically weigh more because the frame has to be designed in such a way as to keep the car from buckling without the roof.

-Brian
Old 09-06-06, 08:40 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
I certainly agree with that. My last three cars have had sunroofs and I’ve never opened any of them. All they did was decrease head room and rattled a bit or leaked after a few years. I’d like to see the option of not having one.

Quick Reply: 07 350 w/o sunroof possible?