AC smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 06:12 AM
CyberVlad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC smell

Hey all.

just after 2.5 months and 1300 miles my AC started to stink on the start-up. Its getting worse day by day and I know its only weeks before it gets unbearable.

I live in Houston and know that smell from the mildew created by condensation is very common with heavy AC usage. But with car just having 1300 miles it seems too soon to have this kind of issues. My previous car took 1.5 years to develop the smell, and my second car (2003 Wrx) still going strong with no smell after 3.5 years!.

Has anybody else living in the South developed the same problem and if yes how soon after purchase?

I am thinking of paying a visit to the dealership and want to have some facts from fellow IS owners to have an educated discussion with them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-31-06, 06:20 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Perhaps your condensate drain is clogged. What makes you think that it is a design problem common to the IS rather than a specific problem with your car?

P.S.
My A/C has had a slight vinegar smell ever since I picked the car up. It seems to be dissipating over time, not getting worse.
Old 08-31-06, 06:36 AM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by Autopia
Air Conditioner Odors
Another common source of interior car odors is the air conditioning (A/C) system. That foul smell from your car's A/C is not only offensive, but it can also be bad for you. The air entering into your car passes over the A/C evaporator (the cooling element). When you operate your car's A/C, water condenses around the evaporator coils. The moisture on the evaporator makes it a magnet for air pollutants, including dust, dirt, grime, pollen, spores and germs. These pollutants form bacteria, dust mites and fungi, which all add up to create the bad smell that often occurs in A/C systems.

Most luxury cars now offer filter canisters to remove pollutants from the air entering the car. However, the smell may still remain. In any case, it's still a good idea to treat your car's A/C each year with a quality A/C and heating system cleaner. The product I prefer is Wurth A/C & Heating System Cleaner. Simply spray Wurth A/C & Heating System Cleaner into the exterior air intake vents and the inside heat and A/C vents. It eliminates odors caused by bacteria, fungi, mildew and stagnant water.
Full article here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-cockpit.html

Its a very good site....Great instructions on polishing/waxing/cleaning and other car related stuff. Somewhat surprised that more ppl dont seem to know it!

hth
Old 08-31-06, 06:38 AM
CyberVlad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
Perhaps your condensate drain is clogged. What makes you think that it is a design problem common to the IS rather than a specific problem with your car?

P.S.
My A/C has had a slight vinegar smell ever since I picked the car up. It seems to be dissipating over time, not getting worse.
I hope its not a design flaw but a quick fix. That's why I am trying to find out if I am the only one with the problem.
Old 08-31-06, 06:43 AM
CyberVlad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by b3dlam
Full article here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-cockpit.html

Its a very good site....Great instructions on polishing/waxing/cleaning and other car related stuff. Somewhat surprised that more ppl dont seem to know it!

hth
Thanks a lot for the reply, but after having the car for just 2 months I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about such things as yearly AC maintainance.
Old 08-31-06, 06:48 AM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by CyberVlad
Thanks a lot for the reply, but after having the car for just 2 months I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about such things as yearly AC maintainance.
aye...2mths is not long at all, it is very unusual. Do you leave the vents on recirc all the time? My gf's dad use to have the vents on recirc in a camry, and it always stunk when the vents were on!!

This kinda reminds me of that seinfeld episode with the parking valet dude with bad BO...anyways...i digress...

perhaps leaving it to fresh air as much as you can will prevent the smell from appearing again?

hth
Old 08-31-06, 06:51 AM
CyberVlad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by b3dlam
aye...2mths is not long at all, it is very unusual. Do you leave the vents on recirc all the time? My gf's dad use to have the vents on recirc in a camry, and it always stunk when the vents were on!!

This kinda reminds me of that seinfeld episode with the parking valet dude with bad BO...anyways...i digress...

perhaps leaving it to fresh air as much as you can will prevent the smell from appearing again?

hth
That's what I am doing right now, I used to have it on AUTO, now I have it on external air. I'll see if that helps.

I am just trying to see if anybody has this issue with sec. gen IS

So much for trying to preserve the new car smell!
Old 08-31-06, 06:58 AM
magbarn
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, the key to preventing A/C odor smells is dry out the A/C system before leaving your car. In humid places like the south, your A/C coils are always coated in condensate. The way to prevent molds/mildew is turn off the A/C compressor a few minutes prior to your destination and run the outside vent full blast till the air warms up the bit. Works wonders on preventing the dreaded smell by drying up the coils. I know what you mean about alot of cars not having this problem, but it seems to be more common problem on certain cars. My bmw and accord definately have this problem as when my GF drives them she doesn't flush it out and stinks the next day.
Old 08-31-06, 07:39 AM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

i have the same problem, it smells like mildew or mold upon startup. i read somewhere on here about the GS having this problems so they had to change out the ac filter thing.
Old 08-31-06, 07:46 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the Lexus response?
Old 08-31-06, 07:54 AM
CyberVlad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tammy
What is the Lexus response?

Just set up an appt at the dealership this afternoon. Will post the results.

Initial impression they don't think it should be happening either this early
Old 08-31-06, 08:03 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

same here with my IS, as well as RX350 and RX300. Spraying the interior air filter with disinfectant helps, if you don't mind the smell of the disinfectant for a while.
Old 08-31-06, 08:42 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magbarn
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, the key to preventing A/C odor smells is dry out the A/C system before leaving your car. In humid places like the south, your A/C coils are always coated in condensate. The way to prevent molds/mildew is turn off the A/C compressor a few minutes prior to your destination and run the outside vent full blast till the air warms up the bit. Works wonders on preventing the dreaded smell by drying up the coils. I know what you mean about alot of cars not having this problem, but it seems to be more common problem on certain cars. My bmw and accord definately have this problem as when my GF drives them she doesn't flush it out and stinks the next day.
Agree. I always try to turn off the AC and let it run with outside air for at least a couple of minutes to get rid of any condensation. You get that 'just turned off the A/C' smell for a few seconds but it's much better than the alternative. I don't think this is isolated to Lexus either. Try a search for 'dirty socks' on other forums (like the Nissan/Infiniti forums) and you'll see the same complaints. I did the above in both my G35's and I never had any issues while others did.
Old 09-01-06, 10:33 AM
chris4869
Driver School Candidate

Default Dry out your AC

magbarn and al503 are correct on this one. You need to dry out our AC before turning off your engine otherwise you're creating a pool of water for mold and mildew to grow in. I usually turn off the AC a couple of blocks away from my destination like magbarn said. I used to have this problem all the times.

Remeber to let the fan run for a minute or so on its own before turning on your AC too. The fan will blow any settled dust from the vents and coils.
Old 09-01-06, 10:43 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlitzIS350
i have the same problem, it smells like mildew or mold upon startup. i read somewhere on here about the GS having this problems so they had to change out the ac filter thing.
that is correct. GS was finally given a TSIB for changing the air filter which fixed the problem. i don't know exactly how bad yours smells, but the GS vents started to smell like rotten feet or something, it was awful. and the complaints were being heard from all over the country. the original filter design/material was not right.

Quick Reply: AC smell