IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why does the car beep at me when I'm getting out after turning it off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 02:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why does the car beep at me when I'm getting out after turning it off?

Whenever I am getting out of my car after driving it, it beeps at me until I get out and close the door. Is there a reason for this? Can that "feature" be turned off? It sounds like my previous cars when I would leave the headlights on or left the key in the key switch. I just don't understand the point of it, especially since there isn't a key, and my lights are set to "Auto".
The following users liked this post:
jorjjjj (05-11-21)
Old 08-30-06, 02:52 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car beeps only when I leave the engine on and I get out and close the door. It also beeps if I left my light at the "On" position. Outside of that, no other beeps. Although come to think of it, I think it beeped when it sensed a fine chick walking by .

The beeps are supposed to remind you the engine is running or you left something on.
Old 08-30-06, 02:56 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mine beeps if I leave the sunroof open or tilted.
Old 08-30-06, 02:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Crap. Just to clarify though, the beep is the interior beep / chime, not the exterior beep that sounds when you enable / disable the alarm.
Old 08-30-06, 02:59 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Is the sunroof tilted or open does the message area in the speedo say anything. How many times does it beep.
Old 08-30-06, 03:11 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Is the sunroof tilted or open does the message area in the speedo say anything. How many times does it beep.
There is a message. Not sure how many beeps though.
Old 08-30-06, 03:11 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Crap. Just to clarify though, the beep is the interior beep / chime, not the exterior beep that sounds when you enable / disable the alarm.
door is open? I hate the open door beep...but at least you can turn it off..along with the seatbelt warning beep
Old 08-30-06, 03:14 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure not to open your door until you turn off the ignition (assuming your moonroof is closed). Then it shouldn't beep.
Old 08-30-06, 03:19 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn off your car with the door closed. I noticed if I opened my door before shutting off the engine, it will beep immediately after shutdown. Try it.
Old 08-30-06, 03:19 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by menech
door is open? I hate the open door beep...but at least you can turn it off..along with the seatbelt warning beep
Yes, it starts when I open the door after turning off the car. How can I turn it off? I saw how to turn off the seatbelt warning beep, but not the beep I'm talking about. I never use my sunroof, so that's not the issue. I guess I should look at the message display next time it happens. It doesn't seem to be 100% repeatable, since I just went out to the garage, started it, shut it off, opened the door, and it didn't beep. It seems to do it most of the time though.
Old 08-30-06, 03:26 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
Yes, it starts when I open the door after turning off the car. How can I turn it off? I saw how to turn off the seatbelt warning beep, but not the beep I'm talking about. I never use my sunroof, so that's not the issue. I guess I should look at the message display next time it happens. It doesn't seem to be 100% repeatable, since I just went out to the garage, started it, shut it off, opened the door, and it didn't beep. It seems to do it most of the time though.
Gernby - I found this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=door+chime

seems like he had this same issue...

and it seems i'm wrong...there isn't any way to disable the door chime/beep that I can find...just the seatbelt

sorry about the confusion
Old 08-30-06, 04:02 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

I know how to fix this...try hitting the button to your left inside where the door closes. Tap that button once and you are good to go. I use that all the time to shut off that annoying beep.
Old 08-30-06, 06:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by menech
Gernby - I found this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=door+chime

seems like he had this same issue...

and it seems i'm wrong...there isn't any way to disable the door chime/beep that I can find...just the seatbelt

sorry about the confusion
wow, that is one funny thread!

btw, has anyone found a way yet?

i am so use to the chimes by now, i had forgotten all about those silly chimes (which is pretty much the exact same as disabling the chimes)...that is until I read this thread, now i'm back to being annoyed by the chimes.
Old 08-30-06, 09:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I have the exact same issue as Gernby, except it is inconsistent. If I turn the lights from auto to off, the chime stops. I can turn the lights back to auto and the chimes stay off too.

I think it's a bug in the integration relay, but I have no idea how to troubleshoot it without doing something that could void my warranty, like cutting wires or pulling pins out of connectors.

I hate the chimes too, but every once in awhile they actually save me from doing something stupid.
Old 08-31-06, 08:04 AM
Jkeys
Driver School Candidate

I always thought that chime was becuase it was telling me that the FOB is still in the car. You know, turn off car, open door, sit there for a minute to grab what I need. I thought it was telling me not to forget the key. Guess I am wrong.

Quick Reply: Why does the car beep at me when I'm getting out after turning it off?