IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 02:35 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jameshkim
ya.... he did a really nice job... I actually met another guy from this forum when I went to that place; he was getting his HID installed too.
James, I have an IS250 also. Did you have HIDs to begin with or the regular Halogen headlights?

I was also wondering how much you paid for HIDs? I'm thinking about converting my halogen's to HIDs and need all the info i can get! lol, thanks

If anyone else has a word of advice, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-06, 02:51 PM
nhidog
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the MTEC 6000K kit off eBay this weekend. I am computer geek but in the world of cars, the most I've done is change a flat. I was able to install it without problems, but it did take me 2hrs since the driver side is quite tough due the small space to work with. I did alot of research prior and the pictures from the DIY helps alot.

I tell ya I was very tempted to pay for professional installation cause I didn't want to eff up the electronics, but I also really wanted to do it myself so I can have a better understanding of the car. And trust me when I say I didn't know anything, I mean it. Didn't know what the heck a harness was, what the air intake looks like, heck I didn't even open the plastic nut, Just pushed the plastic enginer cover aside while working on it. While we are on it, does anybody know how to remove the plastic phillips screw? I tried turning it it, but it turns indefinitely.

I mean 2hrs does seem long, but considering I didn't know what the heck I was doing (thank god for pictures), my installation came out pretty nice, a very nice cutoff line. I'm thinking of installing HID into my fogs now, but I need to figure out where to put the ballast first.
Old 09-05-06, 03:00 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nhidog
While we are on it, does anybody know how to remove the plastic phillips screw? I tried turning it it, but it turns indefinitely.
do you mean that plastic phillips head screw that holds down the plastic engine covers? just twist it with your fingers or a screwdriver and pull up on the plastic covers at the same time. if you don't pull up on the covers it'll just keep turning and turning.
Old 09-05-06, 03:03 PM
nhidog
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that nut, cool thanks, I'll do that in a few weeks when I check up on my installation. Hehe I just shoved the ballast next to the air intake in the corner, I don't think it can possibly move anywhere sinced it seemed pretty solid, but I'll check it out in a few week make sure it's still staying put.