IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How often do you wax??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 10:58 PM
CMistIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hand wash my car once a week with Meguiar's Gold Class wash, MF towel dry.
Once a month i vaccum the interior, condition leather and detail interior trims.
Every 6 months, prior to wax, i wash, clay, MF towel dry, machine polish then machine wax. My car is garaged everynight and at work its parked underground so the only sunlight exposure it gets is while im driving.

For those who are 'lazy' use a sealant or for those who want that deep shine and have dark colored cars, use a wax with a high percentage of carnauba wax
Old 08-29-06, 12:20 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Why not? It's quick and easy.
do you think there would be detailers if 'touchless wax' was any good. its just more automated liquid crap that gets put on your car everywhere because its automated. wont ever be the equal of manual application. probably isnt too bad in winter where you get snow and 'salt' but its better to do the wax yourself or hire a pro.
Old 08-29-06, 12:27 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AgBlue
I personally go overboard with the waxing. I'm typically do it 2 times a month (every other wash). All done by hand. I have been using NXT Tech Wax but am now going to switch to Hi-Tech Yellow Wax to try it out.

Can anyone recommened a good sealant?

Anyone in SoCal/Orange county wanna have a detailing day?
someone's trying to set up a meguiars detailing clinic thingy over in the socal forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229871
Old 08-29-06, 12:35 AM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
someone's trying to set up a meguiars detailing clinic thingy over in the socal forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229871
Still no word from Meguirs
Old 08-29-06, 03:35 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Can anyone recommened a good sealant?
- Poorboy's EX
- Zaino (yes, it's a sealant)
Old 08-29-06, 05:56 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Got it! I go to the touchless because it's there and only takes about 5 minutes the most, and my car is somewhat clean....better than nothing, I guess. Lexus washes my car whenever it gets too dirty. I know, now it's time for a complete detailing.

What about the hand car wash? Any good? I opt for touchless because my last car was black, and the paint had lots of swirls from frequent wash and wax. I guess I should do it myself, but I just don't have time.
Actually, you should scold your husband for not taking care of your car for you. I take care of my wife's IS because I don't want her to be seen in a dirty car.

Anyway, the best thing to do is a weekly hand wash yourself. This is the most gentle on the paint, and you will likely do a more thorough job than an automatic carwash (automatic car washes use harsh chemicals that strip wax and dull the paint). Follow up every 3-6 months with a full paint cleaning and wax job, and your car will always look good.

However, if you guys are short on time, I would use the automatic car wash and also take the car to a professional detailer every 6 months so the paint can be cleaned and the wax refreshed.
Old 08-29-06, 05:47 PM
dgis250
Driver School Candidate

if you dont know how to properly wash/wax your car you can actually do more harm than good doing it yourself. i.e. using brushes,old t-shirts,bath towels, dish soap. If you dont have the time or proper supplies it makes more sense to take it to a good detailer.

I usually wash once a week polish/seal with Klasse AIO every other week followed by Pinnacle Souveran once a month. Klasse/pinnacle is an awsome combo and it applies really easy, leaves no residue if applied properly. I usually take about 2 hours to wash/polish/wax by hand.