How often do you wax??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 01:16 PM
lesterchin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zymol on a Black IS

Hello dudes

I'm actually living in Singapore, where temperatures reach a high of 32degrees celsius daily, with lots of afternoon showers and swarms of birds doing bomb runs.

I'm using Zymol Concours and am up to the 3rd coat in about 1.5 months. Each coat just seems to add a different dimension to the gloss. It's like looking at the bottom of a perfectly still swimming pool.

Each coat is applied by hand and takes about 2 hours including washing. There is absolutely NO wax dust and a perfect shine is just a matter of using up to 4 clean microfiber cloths to buff.

Water marks don't really have a chance to form as the water beading is simply spectacular!

I dust then wash her with a microfiber cloth and just plain water about thrice in 2 weeks. Rest of the time, I just hang around admiring the jetness after I shut her down.

The swirl marks and fingerprints don't really have a chance against the surprisingly hard coat. I also finish the glass with Rainex (which incidently also works wonders on the bathroom glass doors!).

A jar of the concours wax costs about USD$170, but it has sufficient contents to do her more then 20 times over. Again, it is about the application technique.

I'm not really a hard working person, but this seems to be the most efficient method of keeping your paint job in an absolutely pristine condition... that is till someone dings your door

Cheers and kudos to the creators of this most excellent forum!

lester
Old 08-28-06, 01:34 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Why not? It's quick and easy.
its good for you cuz you don't gotta do any work but probably bad for your paint.

i don't really understand touchless car washes? does it just shoot soapy water at your car? sometimes you need some good elbow grease to get the dirt off...
Old 08-28-06, 01:46 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Why not? It's quick and easy.
I'm hardly an expert, but I've read enough about cars and waxing to know that spraying some glop onto the car at the end of the car wash isn't going to do your paint a whole lot of good.

Anytime you purchase something, you typically are making a choice of two out of three key factors: time, money, and quality.

Drive-thru car waxes may be quick and cheap, but it means you are probably missing out on quality - which is the last thing you should want to skimp on. Handwaxing yourself ensures quality and saves money, but at the expense of time.

When I want my 350 waxed and polished, I go to a detailer I've known for years who uses a high-speed orbital (which I would never trust in my own hands). Great quality, saves me a lot of time in the driveway, but costs $$$.

If you decline the wax option at the touchless from now on, though, that money will add up and you will probably be able to get a good wax on your car with that savings.
Old 08-28-06, 01:55 PM
teracon
Driver

1. Wash/Wax - 1x week
2. Vacum - 1x week
3. Clean inside interior (windows and trim ) - 1x week
4. Leather clean/condition seats (back/front) 1x week
Old 08-28-06, 02:11 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

not enough....... too freaking hot in houston right now.
Old 08-28-06, 02:12 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know some of the most expensive wax jobs are hand waxing...a professional would take some non-synthetic wax, rub it in his hands (the heat from the hands somehow activates the wax), and rubs it onto the surface of the car..cant say ive tried it but then again i dont have a ferrari or anything worth getting it on.
Old 08-28-06, 02:25 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Got it! I go to the touchless because it's there and only takes about 5 minutes the most, and my car is somewhat clean....better than nothing, I guess. Lexus washes my car whenever it gets too dirty. I know, now it's time for a complete detailing.

What about the hand car wash? Any good? I opt for touchless because my last car was black, and the paint had lots of swirls from frequent wash and wax. I guess I should do it myself, but I just don't have time.
Old 08-28-06, 02:38 PM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default My Recommendation

MY RECOMMENDATION IS SIMPLE, WAX YOUR IS AS MUCH AS YOU FEEL NECESSARY. I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP WITH A VERY GOOD DETAIL DEPARTMENT AND THEY RECOMMEND ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS HERE IN SOUTH FLORDIA AS THERE IS ALOT OF ACID RAIN FALLING FROM THE AIRPORT ETC
I PERSONLAY WAX IT ONCE A WEEK OR SO... WELL AT LEAST FOR NOW
JON
Old 08-28-06, 02:51 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Jon, I got a suggestion for ya, buddy... Don't write in all caps on forums, as that's understood as yelling. Also, don't write in green color font on a white background - it's very hard to read. Not trying to be harsh, just want to help the forums a little bit...

Javier
Old 08-28-06, 03:11 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

dang you guys must have an aweful lotta free time on the weekends to be waxing every single week. i just did a simple wash n wax this weekend n it took me about 5 hours! imagine claying and polishing too... that's like the entire day n then some right there!
Old 08-28-06, 05:57 PM
silversx
Driver

i wax with meguiar's nxt tech wax.. its really good.. easy on easy off

but lately ive been using eagle one's wax as u dry.. the new formula in the blue bottle.. its pretty awesome.. you essentially put a thin layer of wax everytime you wash.. and you spray it on when car is wet.. wipe dry with microfiber towels.. great shine!

and you dont really need to worry about it lasting long because you apply it every wash..
Old 08-28-06, 06:45 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silversx
i wax with meguiar's nxt tech wax.. its really good.. easy on easy off

but lately ive been using eagle one's wax as u dry.. the new formula in the blue bottle.. its pretty awesome.. you essentially put a thin layer of wax everytime you wash.. and you spray it on when car is wet.. wipe dry with microfiber towels.. great shine!

and you dont really need to worry about it lasting long because you apply it every wash..
so no need to worry about water spots???
Old 08-28-06, 07:31 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

microfiber towels make a world of difference. I can have water spots after a quick car wash with a wand and a fast drive to dry it off and later when I get home use a damp microfiber towel to go over it and it looks like new. My car is black so clean is important.
Old 08-28-06, 09:59 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I personally go overboard with the waxing. I'm typically do it 2 times a month (every other wash). All done by hand. I have been using NXT Tech Wax but am now going to switch to Hi-Tech Yellow Wax to try it out.

Can anyone recommened a good sealant?

Anyone in SoCal/Orange county wanna have a detailing day?
Old 08-28-06, 10:18 PM
silversx
Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
so no need to worry about water spots???
well just as much as if you were gonna dry your car after a wash.. i mean if you let it sit.. its gonna spot

but the eagle one makes drying very easy and smooth.. because it mixes with the water and everything becomes real slick and with a microfiber towel..

you gotta dry your car either way .. why not put wax on at the same time

Quick Reply: How often do you wax??