Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha funny guy
Old 08-17-06, 11:47 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
The vast majority of people who want performance will go with the 350. Aftermarket companies know this so they will focus on what makes them the most money, which is making performance parts fro the IS350.
I would think they'd focus on the car/model that sells more.
Old 08-17-06, 11:54 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

megan makes a set of headers and exhaust for the 250. not sure about the gains though.

i have a FEELING that a chip will come out soon for both the IS250 and the 350. if i have read correctly, the 250 will have more gains then the 350.

with all that, you should see some decent gains without going FI.
Old 08-17-06, 12:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by car_lost
megan makes a set of headers and exhaust for the 250. not sure about the gains though.

i have a FEELING that a chip will come out soon for both the IS250 and the 350. if i have read correctly, the 250 will have more gains then the 350.

with all that, you should see some decent gains without going FI.
There is no 'chip' out for any Lexus car. Word from those who have tried is that the ECU programming is too complex.

There are piggyback applications like the SAFC-II that can isolate specific systems like air/fuel for some gains, but nothing that just plugs in like you see on other brands.
Old 08-17-06, 12:11 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
There is no 'chip' out for any Lexus car. Word from those who have tried is that the ECU programming is too complex.

There are piggyback applications like the SAFC-II that can isolate specific systems like air/fuel for some gains, but nothing that just plugs in like you see on other brands.
i have reason to believe there will be some sort of ecu modification available in the future
Old 08-17-06, 01:23 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by car_lost
i have reason to believe there will be some sort of ecu modification available in the future
Ooh we...do tell...

That wouldn't happen to be for the manual 250 would it?

On my last vehicle, a 4.7 liter V8 Dodge Dakota, Kenne Bell would flash the ecu, apparently the gains were ok for the manual, about 10 horsepower or so, but for the automatic it was much better, like 20 horsepower or so. A lot of people believed it was due to the fact it really maximzed the shift points and helped the auto's actually put down more power to the dyno.

But if we could squeeze 13 more horsepower out of the ecu, and we already know the Joe Z intake tube makes close to 7 horsies, then I'm already at my extra 20 hp, so back up all you haters! No seriously though, some of you guys need to quit hating on the 250 with your comments like "you shoulda got a 350, you ain't getting nothing else out of your 250 blah blah blah".

I love my car, and would be happy with it if no performance mods are ever released, but even happier if they are. Therefore, post comments that will help me add performance, if you are going to be negative then just keep it to yourself, I don't have time for that.
Old 08-17-06, 01:27 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

honestly, i dont know any specific details. im hoping to find out more in the coming weeks.
Old 08-17-06, 01:41 PM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

what the 250 manual needs is a short shift kit to get rid of this "big rig" shifting. Something that shouldn't be too hard to develop from companies like B&M.
Old 08-17-06, 07:25 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS2Fizzle
what the 250 manual needs is a short shift kit to get rid of this "big rig" shifting. Something that shouldn't be too hard to develop from companies like B&M.
That's the one thing I'm waiting for. Well, that, and a way to elimiate the rev "hang" in between shifts.
Old 08-17-06, 07:58 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I would think they'd focus on the car/model that sells more.
No, they won't. Like I said, people that really wanted performance will go with the 350. People who didn't care much for performance and just wanted the car will get the 250. Aftermarket performance parts will by in large not appeal to the vast majority of 250 buyers becuase performance was not ther intention when they bought the car.

As far as the headers, I cannot answer with 100% certainty, but if I were to guess, I'd say it could be clearance issues on the 350. I'm assuming the 250 has more space under the hood thana 350 does which would make it a lot easier to fabricate headers for a 250 versus a 350 where it may take some more R&D to make a properly fitting set.
Old 08-17-06, 09:43 PM
dainese954
Driver

trade your 250 in for a 350 if u want the power
Old 08-18-06, 09:49 AM
06LexIS
Driver

I though about replacing rods/pistons/injectors on my IS250 with Wiseco's 9.1 and Cunningham rods, making custom exh manifolds and adapting twin Garret GT2871R's with a custom exh system and adapting an EMS to it. I bet that will be worth while to do and def adapting an LSD, just because it's not a 350 doesn't mean that the potential isn't there.
I paid 29K for my 250 and spending an extra 10K on a supercharger or turbo kit will blow any IS350 of the water in terms of bang for the buck dilema.
I'm not knocking the 350 but why pay almost 46K for a fully loaded 350 and then another 10k for FI, when the 250 can probably do the same with less $$ and a built motor.

Now the big question is how much "HP" will the stock 6 speed box take???

Post away, let the arguments begin..
Old 08-18-06, 10:24 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

from the lexus website...

is250 auto: $31750
is350 auto: $36030

the packages and what not are the same between the 2. so thats only a $5k difference. so i guess i paid $5k more for 100+ hp and 90+ tq. you wont get that much more power on your 250 with $5k... at least not reliably.
Old 08-18-06, 10:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
No, they won't. Like I said, people that really wanted performance will go with the 350. People who didn't care much for performance and just wanted the car will get the 250. Aftermarket performance parts will by in large not appeal to the vast majority of 250 buyers becuase performance was not ther intention when they bought the car.
Well, that's your opinion.

Some would argue that a person that buys a car with an automatic transmission isn't interested in performance. And some would also argue that the aftermarket parts manufacturers are interested in making as much profit as possible (there's a novel idea...), and would hit the markets that offer more possible customers. In other words, the relevant models that sell more units.
Old 08-19-06, 09:47 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Well, that's your opinion.

Some would argue that a person that buys a car with an automatic transmission isn't interested in performance. And some would also argue that the aftermarket parts manufacturers are interested in making as much profit as possible (there's a novel idea...), and would hit the markets that offer more possible customers. In other words, the relevant models that sell more units.
Right, so basically you're saying that all those people that purchased an AMG vehicle producing nearly 500 HP (or more) and running mid 12's (or faster) aren't interested in performance beucase the car is an auto?

Guess we'll find out who's right and wrong when more mods become available.

Quick Reply: IS250 Performance Options?