IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tinted Windshield affecting rain sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 09:09 AM
gyahhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted Windshield affecting rain sensor?

One of my friends with an IS wanted to have a top strip tint on his windshield and the tinter told him he didn't want to risk affecting the rain sensor... I want to get my whole windshield tinted but am now having second thoughts... Has anyone had any problems with this?

Also, will it have any effect on the nav? .

Thanks
Old 08-15-06, 09:21 AM
LaRock
Rookie

If you have the don't get the dark area behind the rearview mirror tinted, you should be fine.
Old 08-15-06, 02:59 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the last post, but I skipped the windshield strip. There's too much for them to work around there, and the windshield is short in this car as is.

You should really go with those second thoughts on getting the entire windshield tinted. If that's not illegal in your state, it should be. Ever drive at night?
Old 08-15-06, 04:46 PM
grumpyer
Driver School Candidate

I have 35% all around and haven't had any problems. Had it done at the dealer before I picked up the car.
Old 08-15-06, 04:47 PM
grumpyer
Driver School Candidate

37% not 35%
Old 08-15-06, 11:03 PM
gyahhh
Driver School Candidate

It's illegal here but no one makes a big deal out of it. I want to get a really light tint, something to help with the sun, nothing too drastic.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 08-16-06, 05:02 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
You should really go with those second thoughts on getting the entire windshield tinted. If that's not illegal in your state, it should be. Ever drive at night?
It is illegal in FL but that has never stopped me or half the people I know from doing it... I've never gotten a ticket for it and neither has any of my friends. It is a big help when the afternoon Florida sun is coming straight through my windshield. And it's actually not too bad driving with it at night as long as you don't get it too dark...
Old 08-16-06, 10:43 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Payam
It is illegal in FL but that has never stopped me or half the people I know from doing it... I've never gotten a ticket for it and neither has any of my friends. It is a big help when the afternoon Florida sun is coming straight through my windshield. And it's actually not too bad driving with it at night as long as you don't get it too dark...
Hmmm, must be a Florida thing, I kinda like the nice warm So Cal sun coming thru the front windshield and moonroof . . .
Old 08-16-06, 11:17 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
Hmmm, must be a Florida thing, I kinda like the nice warm So Cal sun coming thru the front windshield and moonroof . . .
It's not so bad in the cooler months or should I say month... lol. But driving home in 90+ degree weather with 100% humidity the last thing you want is anything else to heat you up...
Old 08-16-06, 05:06 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in S. Florida...the air conditioning keeps the car cool when I'm driving, and I put up a sunshade when the car is parked outside. I do understand that the windshield tint keeps the dash cooler when you're driving, but it also creates a liability for you if you're ever in an accident. I hope this NEVER happens to anyone, but imagine hitting someone walking or biking...even if deemed an accident and/or unavoidable, I would guess illegal windshield tint could end up making you partially liable in a civil suit.

If I was still 20, illegal windshield tint would probably seem like a great idea. I got boring when I hit 30.
Old 08-16-06, 07:04 PM
acsan
Driver

Originally Posted by gyahhh
One of my friends with an IS wanted to have a top strip tint on his windshield and the tinter told him he didn't want to risk affecting the rain sensor... I want to get my whole windshield tinted but am now having second thoughts... Has anyone had any problems with this?

Also, will it have any effect on the nav? .

Thanks
Did I read your post right? You want the "whole" windshield tinted?
Old 08-19-06, 10:29 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

Also, keep in mind that if you NAV, it will affect the reception of the GPS signals.
The GPS antenna is in the dash.
Old 08-19-06, 10:32 AM
NaterGator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
I live in S. Florida...the air conditioning keeps the car cool when I'm driving, and I put up a sunshade when the car is parked outside. I do understand that the windshield tint keeps the dash cooler when you're driving, but it also creates a liability for you if you're ever in an accident. I hope this NEVER happens to anyone, but imagine hitting someone walking or biking...even if deemed an accident and/or unavoidable, I would guess illegal windshield tint could end up making you partially liable in a civil suit.
Nail meet hammer. This is exactly why you shouldn't do it. Believe me you have no idea when the unexpected will happen and there is ALWAYS someone looking for a reason to file a suit. You don't want to have even the slightest shred of doubt against your or else your SOL. It's not worth it.
Old 11-03-07, 02:46 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

ok i'm bringing this old topic back to the roof.

i just tinted my whole windshield from the outside,how will this affect the rain sensors?
if it's bad for ot pls let me know i'll remove it.can't risk this nice feature for a tint.
Old 11-03-07, 03:01 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my front windshield fully tinted with 30% and haven't had any problems with the rain sensors. Having your windshield tinted will provide you with a lot of benefits like reduced glare, better visibility, better looks, etc.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshield affecting rain sensor?