IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

regret buying is350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimp350
I have been noticing that many people are Complaining about the VDIM/VSC feature on the 2IS....

Don't get me wrong because I would love to drive without them, but one should look at this from Lexus's point of view! Being an Engineer working at Toyota (woohoo!), I can tell you that no company will provide powerful cars and not provide features like VDIM. The reason for this is because if only ONE person were to get seriously hurt, than it would be bad for the company. So they dont wanna take the risk....
And Toyota is one of the MOST conservative manufacturers in this regard. I would post about the trials and tribulations I suffered with TMS when I bought parts from them to rebuild my Getrag 233 and they refused to sell me the manual or even give me the specs for the rebuild citing the "it's proprietary" rule. It was a difficult day for me and my respect for Toyota for sure. Luckily, I got the right person in the right place to get me the manual. Now its online for the world to see..and I'm still a customer.
Old 08-14-06, 03:23 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfproatl
What ever happened to due diligence? I have been looking at cars for 6 months and still have not made my decision. I never make purchases over a certain amount without doing research and testing. That goes for everything from lawn mowers to houses. I would hate to see the person who started this threads investment portfolio!! If you purchase a car without knowing everything about it, including how it will “drive and handle in the real world”, then you really have not done your homework. Test driving a car once or twice is just not enough. I have driven the IS350 6 times so far. I will be driving it again when the 07’s hit. I have taken info from this board and made many notes and have applied them to my test drives. I then form my own opinions based on my test. My conclusion so far is that the IS350 is not perfect. I wish it had this or that so to speak. But for what I am looking for in this car purchase, it has a much longer Pro than Con list.

I guess the thread about “which option do you regret not getting” backs up your point. Seems that many people do get way to emotional and buy a car or whatever, knowing that it is not exactly how they want it, but they want it now!! I have zero sympathy for these people. Many people have also special ordered their car and waited 2-5 months to get it. I’m willing to bet that the majority of those people are much happier with their purchase than the people who took what was on the lot!

Oh yah, I also never woke up next to a chick that made me want to run out of the house screaming!!

LOL. Yeah, the chick thing was just to make the point.

And I know what you're saying. I, too, did tons of research on the IS, and hung out on this and other forums for months trying to get impressions. Of course, enthusiast boards aren't the best place to get objective views. So I also read every road test and evaluation I could find and studied all the specs. Due to my schedule, and the short supply of IS's here, I was able to swing only two test drives.

But I also needed to make a trade, since I had leases ending on two other cars that had to be replaced. I have several strict criteria my cars must meet, too, relative to things like Nav systems, Bluetooth, MP3 capability, price, performance and so on, and the short list was pretty short when I made my final decision.

So it wasn't for any lack of due diligence on my part that I pulled the trigger on the IS. Nor do I actively regret getting it. In retrospect, I might have been happier in some ways with my second choice, but I'm not kicking myself for getting the IS at all. Especially since I've finally tamed the pogo-stick ride.

My point remains, though, that no amount of research - or even a half-dozen test drives - can absolutely guarantee you'll be thrilled with your final purchase decision. You won't know that until you've had the car for awhile, driven it on familiar roads under all kinds of circumstances, and really learned its ways. MY own best personal example of that is my 15-month ownership of a 2006 Infiniti M45 ... I LOVED the car except for a trait that turned up after awhile, for which Infiniti couldn't offer a solution. So they bought it back.
Old 08-14-06, 04:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Just curious, how's the TL? All thumbs up?
Old 08-14-06, 04:06 PM
yoja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't believe there's already 4 pages here.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-14-06 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Gotta give the guy (and other members) the benefit of a doubt...
Old 08-14-06, 04:10 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just curious, how's the TL? All thumbs up?
Yeah, it is filling its niche. I needed a car that was more "family oriented" (even though we are empty nesters), and it's doing the job of mother-in-law hauling and getting the groceries. It has adequate power, decent handling, good mileage, and is roomy and comfy, all without being a Buick.

I really do like the Nav and the sound system. And the Bluetooth is every bit as good as the IS's - which is to say excellent. Ditto for the voice recognition.

All in all, a good car, I think.
Old 08-14-06, 04:15 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And Toyota is one of the MOST conservative manufacturers in this regard. I would post about the trials and tribulations I suffered with TMS when I bought parts from them to rebuild my Getrag 233 and they refused to sell me the manual or even give me the specs for the rebuild citing the "it's proprietary" rule. It was a difficult day for me and my respect for Toyota for sure. Luckily, I got the right person in the right place to get me the manual. Now its online for the world to see..and I'm still a customer.

Toyota is a great Company!!
Old 08-14-06, 04:56 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
LOL. Yeah, the chick thing was just to make the point.

And I know what you're saying. I, too, did tons of research on the IS, and hung out on this and other forums for months trying to get impressions. Of course, enthusiast boards aren't the best place to get objective views. So I also read every road test and evaluation I could find and studied all the specs. Due to my schedule, and the short supply of IS's here, I was able to swing only two test drives.

But I also needed to make a trade, since I had leases ending on two other cars that had to be replaced. I have several strict criteria my cars must meet, too, relative to things like Nav systems, Bluetooth, MP3 capability, price, performance and so on, and the short list was pretty short when I made my final decision.

So it wasn't for any lack of due diligence on my part that I pulled the trigger on the IS. Nor do I actively regret getting it. In retrospect, I might have been happier in some ways with my second choice, but I'm not kicking myself for getting the IS at all. Especially since I've finally tamed the pogo-stick ride.

My point remains, though, that no amount of research - or even a half-dozen test drives - can absolutely guarantee you'll be thrilled with your final purchase decision. You won't know that until you've had the car for awhile, driven it on familiar roads under all kinds of circumstances, and really learned its ways. MY own best personal example of that is my 15-month ownership of a 2006 Infiniti M45 ... I LOVED the car except for a trait that turned up after awhile, for which Infiniti couldn't offer a solution. So they bought it back.
Very true. No guarantees regardless of proper DD. You certainly seem to make your decsions wisley and I was not trying to suggest otherwise in your case. I just don't agree that a car purchase has to be an impulse purchase on any level if you do your homework. But I agree that it does not mean that you may still have a bit of buyers remorse.

I just have a hard time with the person who started this thread bashing the car and his purchase because he obviously did not know what he was buying. Just another perfect example of "a fool and his money are soon parted."
Old 08-14-06, 04:59 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by sizzlingde
who here regrets buying is350?....I've got a bmw 325is and an is350....I've had the car since june 1st...and have only driven it 8 times......I don't even know why I bought it.....am I the only one feels that....
I regret because IS 500 is on the way. I was thinking about Nissan GTR in 2008 but I wanted a sports sedan instead. I may change my mind when GTR is here. I may end up either getting IS 500 or GTR. Will see.
Old 08-14-06, 05:43 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Very true. No guarantees regardless of proper DD. You certainly seem to make your decsions wisley and I was not trying to suggest otherwise in your case. I just don't agree that a car purchase has to be an impulse purchase on any level if you do your homework. But I agree that it does not mean that you may still have a bit of buyers remorse.

I just have a hard time with the person who started this thread bashing the car and his purchase because he obviously did not know what he was buying. Just another perfect example of "a fool and his money are soon parted."
well said

my 2 cents, yes the is doesn't handle as well as a bmw, but i traded my bmw for the is, lexus is quieter, faster, more civilized, much better stereo, softer leather, to me nicer looking, and the interior is much nicer than the new 3 series,

besides handling problem is and easy fix
eibach pro kit with koni shokcs or tokico
Old 08-15-06, 12:08 AM
sizzlingde
Driver School Candidate

jeezz...i can't believe this thread got this long...well all the ppl who called me "fool" thanx lol....I'm not bashing the car at all it's a really nice car....well I drive over 130 miles everyday and my average speed's like over 100 ...,,,,... and hopefully my next car will be the lfs......
Old 08-15-06, 01:17 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well, you have to admit... Making the decision to spend 40K+ on a vehicle that you choose not to drive, then regreting the decision to purchace becuase of your decision to not drive it is pretty foolish.
Old 08-15-06, 04:17 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
Huh, so a new set of coilovers will also reduce the weight of the car by several hundred pounds? That's a neat trick.
If you are after a light-weight car, you should not have bought an IS from the get-go: you don't even need to drive it - just look at the specs. If I am not mistaken, you bought yours, so it is not that simple, I guess.
If you are after a good-handling car, a good set of coilovers may make a difference for you, provided that you try several spring rates to get the handling you want (you seem to be particular about that).

Provided that you have not given up on your IS, you might want to ask for rides in some modified suspension IS's to get an impression of what potentially the handling is going to be like and see if that is in your ball park.

Personally, my GS is too soft for my taste for any aggressive driving on anything other than smooth roads. If that was my only car, I would change the Eibach/Bilsteins that I have to something stiffer. I am fortunate to have a second car that can hold its own against any stock BMW, as far as handling is concerned (but is less civilized than any BMW), so I am not inclined to change the suspension on the Lex: it was the wrong suspension choice in the long run, but was based on the information that I had at the time and I will have to live with that, since I like the car otherwise and don't plan on getting rid of it.

In the end, though, only one thing matters: are YOU happy enough with the car to keep or not? If not then, by all means, you should make some changes to make you happy - whether that involves suspension changes or getting another car. Good luck.
Old 08-15-06, 04:45 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sizzlingde
j... and my average speed's like over 100 ...
if that is the case, you won't have to worry too much longer about parting ways with your 2is....in one way or another.
Old 08-15-06, 10:22 AM
XBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Default Competition is good!

To remain in the thread, NO I do not regret buying the IS350Sport at all.

The whole reason I moved into the IS was because of a new baby and the requirement for 4 doors popped up. I _LOVE_ my '97 E36 M3, and if there was even the slightest reason/justification to hold on to it I would in a heartbeat. However, with 90K miles, it's going to need some love soon (I've had the car for 6 years and it has been bulletproof! A clutch blew up because of an overheated throwout bearing that I didn't get repaired in time caused a plastic fitting to melt. Who puts plastic in a clutch (!?)). If I could justify the money to set up the car as a track car, I would in a heartbeat! But after spending north of $40K on the Lexus, and with the baby, my wife would f'ing kill me!

Now... if money was no object, I would have bought an M5. 4 door insanity! So I'm totally not a BMW hater. The screenname and plate are more tounge in cheek than anything else.

But, given what you get with the IS350 vs. what you get with any other car, I made the decision to get it with no regrets. I really wanted the 330. I didn't like the interior, and once you equaled out the options the BMW was insanely overpriced. I understand BMW is up against the wall with the value of the Euro, etc. but it was just way to out of wack.

So in a month, and 1000 miles, I still love the IS350.

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Automobile Magazine has published spy pictures of the next-generation 5-series, though, and it is HOT. It will reportedly also come with the engine they are debuting in the 335 ... twin-turbo 6 with over 300 horsepower. While I still couldn't justify the V-8's price, the turbo 6 just might fill the bill for me. Heck, the naturally-aspirated 6 produces something like 268hp, and I might be able to live with that!
I have no doubt that BMW would not be coming out with cars like this now if companies like Lexus weren't doing cars like the 2IS.

During the early 2000's BMW really lost it's way. Horrid quality problems, loss of identity (they stopped being focused on driving, and tried to chase Mercedes resulting in slow, heavy, and overpriced cars [a few cars like the M3 not withstanding]).

BMW has too many passionate people working for them and too many good engineers. Hopefully they will kill off some of the stupid product marketing people that got them into this spot, and maybe we are seeing that now?
Old 08-15-06, 11:06 AM
adrianchew
Driver School Candidate

I'm still researching at the moment but this topic is interesting - ok, I'll admit I've always wanted to own a BMW and never have - and am seriously considering the IS over a 3-series. And I'm probably one of those people least likely to be looking at a Lexus/Toyota type - about the only other car they made that I like is the SC.

I haven't had much RWD driving experience - about the only RWD car I've driven some was my grandad's 1960s Alfa Romeo GTV, and I did take a friend's 1990s 300ZX twin turbo for a spin once when I was in college (loved that Z!).

My main question really is how does the IS/BMW compare from a handling perspective... I can't tell if some here are even talking IS with or without sport package, is the setup of the IS sport package roughly about that of the BMW minus sport package... I'm not looking for M3 type handling or crazy drifts, but razor tracking would be nice ie. glued to the road goes where you want it to go kind of feel.

BMW is doomed by the great "Bungle" that they refuse to admit is a big design mistake and their "iSuck" interface. And its taking a BMW biturbo to compete with a naturally aspirated Toyota engine in output?

Quick Reply: regret buying is350?