IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The is350 as a second family car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 12:53 AM
rodgermorales
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The is350 as a second family car?

We are currently considering the IS350 as a repalcement for our 03 es300. We have a family of four (soon to be 5) and we also have a family bus (honda ody). My wife seems to think the IS would be too small to play role as second family car in a pinch. I think I have had 4 of us in the es twice in the last year and in pinch I can swing my 3.5 and 18 month can make it in back. When baby comes I guess mom just doesn't get to go Any other families in CL using the IS as a primary or secondary kid hauler? Thanks for any feedback on your experiences.
Old 08-14-06, 01:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well, if you have 2 adults and 2-3 kids (relatively small ones) then i think it should be fine. definitely not as much room in the back, but for kids it's still ok. but say for 4 adults? the is350 wouldn't be the best choice imho.
Old 08-14-06, 04:54 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the rear leg room are so little, my mum complant it all the time. Since we have so many cars at home she still allow me to replace my RX330 with the New IS250!!

Here is my op I think ISX50 is good for two~four adults for short dis... anyway IS is good for me and good luck to your IS hunting...
Old 08-14-06, 05:34 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

We have 3 kids and use our IS as a second family car. But only in an absolute pinch, and never more than 2 kids at a time.

There simply isn't enough room to fit all 3 kids in there when any of them are in a child seat. Even just one of them. Not enough room. There's also so little legroom back there, that older kids are going to be pretty uncomfortable.

My advice? Keep the ES.
Old 08-14-06, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why not replace the ES with an ES350, much more spacious. IS will be a sardine can with 3 kiddies in the back
Old 08-14-06, 07:02 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a rear facing child seat will fit at all in the back without moving a front seat all the way forward. Personally, I think LExus should have included an air bag disable switch for the front passenger seat, since that is the only place a child seat will really fit.
Old 08-14-06, 07:26 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
I don't think a rear facing child seat will fit at all in the back without moving a front seat all the way forward. Personally, I think LExus should have included an air bag disable switch for the front passenger seat, since that is the only place a child seat will really fit.
I can confirm this. I have a 5 month old and had a rear facing child seat in the back. It definitely does not fit behind the driver nor the front passenger. It would have to be in the middle. Even then, I had to move my seat up a bit. The whole family will be driving in the ML350 until my 5 month old is old enough to sit facing forward.
Old 08-14-06, 07:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why not replace the ES with an ES350, much more spacious. IS will be a sardine can with 3 kiddies in the back
Actually, not true. The ES350 is smaller inside than the ES300/330. Seems to be the current trend with many of Toyota's new designs.
Old 08-14-06, 08:25 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

I have a couple of rugrats myself.. Both require car seats and both have to be on the outside. I am unable to use the center position for a car seat. If I do, it is impossible to get the second one next to it. Only the positions behind the driver and passenger can be used for car seats with any success. Besides, those are the only two positions with the LATCH system.

This setup does work for me and I love it when my son "Wants to take Daddy's race car" !!
Old 08-14-06, 08:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by david_s
I have a couple of rugrats myself.. Both require car seats and both have to be on the outside. I am unable to use the center position for a car seat. If I do, it is impossible to get the second one next to it. Only the positions behind the driver and passenger can be used for car seats with any success. Besides, those are the only two positions with the LATCH system.

This setup does work for me and I love it when my son "Wants to take Daddy's race car" !!
I'm guessing these are forward facing car seats? Are they baby seats, or just boosters?
Old 08-14-06, 08:45 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm guessing these are forward facing car seats? Are they baby seats, or just boosters?
One is forward facing. It is a booster however it does have its own back and armrests. The second is a rear facing Peg Perego that snaps into a base.
Old 08-14-06, 09:13 AM
rodgermorales
Driver School Candidate

4TehNguyen- thanks for the reply. My wife doesn't want another es given the collection of problems with our first lexus and she considers the drive a little "stale". She is okay with the is350 but is leaning toward a 325i - too little value, not enough room increase (and motor) in my book.
Old 08-14-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well the es350 is total redesign, and it has so much more power, i think it's a pretty different car but then of course, get something you all like of course
Old 08-14-06, 09:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Actually, not true. The ES350 is smaller inside than the ES300/330. Seems to be the current trend with many of Toyota's new designs.
when i mentiond more spacious I meant more spacious over the IS. I still dont think IS + 3 kids is a good mix
Old 08-14-06, 10:31 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I have a 3+ year old and a 1+ year old. I take my 3 year old in a booster seat all the time in my car, and I'll take my younger one too in the future, once he's big enough for a booster...but I will not install the baby seat in my car..thats what the Quest is for!

Quick Reply: The is350 as a second family car?