IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Expensive Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 08:01 AM
optsgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive Oil Change

Went to the dealer today and I paid $65.00 for an oil change...wow!!!

Also, bought one of those AC filter for $38.95..they wanted to charge $61.95 for it. Is this easy to change?
Old 08-05-06, 08:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

kinda early to change the AC filter, not sure where its located in the IS, probably behind the glove box (my preludes AC filter was behind the box)
Old 08-05-06, 11:39 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

AC filter's located in your glove box, takes seconds to change yourself; check your user's manual.
Old 08-05-06, 12:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Is there an idiot light anywhere that tells you when the AC filter needs to be replaced?
Old 08-05-06, 02:50 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

if you have a 06 IS i cant imagine you need an AC filter change yet... i believe the AC filter can be accessed behind the glove compartment. my local Lexus dealer charges about the same and including the Evinronmental fee and taxes its about $70. this also includes synthetic oil as well. if they are charging you $65 for regular dino oil, i start taking it to a local toyota dealer.
Old 08-05-06, 04:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the AC filter maybe every 20k who knows, my prelude has 56k miles i changed it twice so far
Old 08-05-06, 04:18 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A/C filter is just for fresh air, not recircultaed air, right? If so, I can't imagine it needing to be changed unless air flow is not what it used to be. As long as you are satisfied with the amount of air that is blowing, you are actually better off with a dirty filter. Dirty filters do a better job filtering.
Old 08-06-06, 06:11 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
The A/C filter is just for fresh air, not recircultaed air, right?
I certainly hope not. Without filtering, dust from the cabin will coat the moist evaporator coil, eventually clogging it.
Old 08-06-06, 09:23 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Without filtering, dust from the cabin will coat the moist evaporator coil, eventually clogging it.
You are correct. It filters all air from the blower motor which means, A/C, heater and fan.
Old 08-07-06, 06:49 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

I replaced the microfilters (pollen filter) to all my car once a year at most, typically at the beginning of the spring. That is when it is needed the most IMHO to filter the pollen (I am not alergic to pollen, but my GF is).

Also, I am not sure if you all are familiar with this practice.
Eveytime i change the filter, I spray lysol disinfectant to the housing of the filter + the filter itself.
Then run the heater on high for 5 minutes or so with the windows down. The purpose is to dry out the circulation system so that fungus + mildew that grow inside the system will be killed. Do you recall that '**** smell' that you get at the beginning of winter after your AC has not been on for 3 months? That is fungus/mildew smell all right.
Just get a can of oderless Lysol or my personal favorite is the Spring Smell Lysol.
Old 08-07-06, 08:59 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SugarRush
I replaced the microfilters (pollen filter) to all my car once a year at most, typically at the beginning of the spring. That is when it is needed the most IMHO to filter the pollen (I am not alergic to pollen, but my GF is).

Also, I am not sure if you all are familiar with this practice.
Eveytime i change the filter, I spray lysol disinfectant to the housing of the filter + the filter itself.
Then run the heater on high for 5 minutes or so with the windows down. The purpose is to dry out the circulation system so that fungus + mildew that grow inside the system will be killed. Do you recall that '**** smell' that you get at the beginning of winter after your AC has not been on for 3 months? That is fungus/mildew smell all right.
Just get a can of oderless Lysol or my personal favorite is the Spring Smell Lysol.
How do the filters look when you replace them after just one year? Do you realize that clean filters do not filter as well as dirty ones, so you are actually allowing more pollen through? I hope you aren't replacing the engine's air filter so often, or you will be replacing the engine more often as well.
Old 08-07-06, 09:01 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

On another note, the A/C shouldn't be left off for such long periods of time. It should be run at least once a week to keep the gaskets in good shape. However, I imagine the IS will automatically run the compressor when the defroster is used, even when set to full heat.
Old 08-07-06, 10:14 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gernby
How do the filters look when you replace them after just one year? Do you realize that clean filters do not filter as well as dirty ones, so you are actually allowing more pollen through? I hope you aren't replacing the engine's air filter so often, or you will be replacing the engine more often as well.
Yeap, I am talking about the in cabin microfilter. Not the engine filter of course.
I change my engine filter typically between 15K - 20K on all my vehicle.
But i am not aware to the fact that clean filters do not filter as well as dirty one.
Perhaps what you mean is the pre-oiled clean filter perform better?

Indeed in general the cabin filter looks a bit dirty but not too bad after 1 year. Depending where you are located and the amount of driving you do and the amount of pollen in your area etc.
That is why i mentioned "replace once a year at most" in my original post.

It is quite common for me to change the filter after I went through 2 winters. i.e summer - fall - winter - spring - summer - fall - winter - spring <change filter here>.

Pollen is a lesser problem where I lived in midwest few years back.
Now, in MD Eastern Shore area there seems to be a lot more pollen in the spring air.
And humidity is pretty high too, promoting the growth of fungus and mildew.