IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 window tinting hiccup

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 10:40 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 window tinting hiccup

Took my IS 350 in to get tinted today (Huper Optik tint). The back and rear windows came out fine, but the installer mentioned that he is unable to get the front windows done because of the speakers on the front door panels. He said he could get it in there but it wouldn't be clean. He didn't know how to take the door panels off and says that he wants the door panels off so he can tint the windows cleanly.

I have not heard of this issue on this forum before. Has anyone run into this problem? The only problem I've heard of was the rear brake light needed to be removed, however he was able to tint the back window in one piece without removing the brake light.

Thoughts? Comments?

Vit
Old 08-02-06, 10:49 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got my windows tinted, the installers took the front door inside panels off my 350. At first it freaked me out, but they said this is what they had to do on all IS models in order to get a good fit. It didn't seem too difficult, and they put everything back together okay.

If your dealer doesn't feel comfortable removing the front panels, find one that does!
Old 08-02-06, 11:46 AM
teracon
Driver

For me, they were able to install the tint without taking off the panels. He had it computer cut and it fit in perfectly. He used a plastic putty-like blad to neatly push in the tint. No scratches made...
Old 08-02-06, 11:50 AM
rys
Pole Position

My shop tried to do it that way but couldn't get a good fit, they ended up pulling the weather stripping for the front doors.

If your shop can't do it, take it to a place that can.

-Brian
Old 08-02-06, 12:38 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly a "good" window tinter won't have to pull door panels or anything else, IMO if they want to start taking your car apart to tint the windows then you should get in your car and drive away as fast as you can.
Old 08-02-06, 01:12 PM
acsan
Driver

I was the tinter's second 2IS that they did and he told me that they had to call the dealership for instructions on how to take the panels off when they worked on the first 2IS to make sure they didn't screw anything up. Because it's a fairly new model, I can see why certain tinters may be reluctant to take off panels at first.

Then again, like some other guys on the forum says, there are some tinters that don't even need to take the panels off.
Old 08-02-06, 01:14 PM
dajwilson
Driver

My shop didn't have to take anything apart and they did an excellent job. I wouldn't trust anyone that says they need to rip your car apart in order to tint it. I would not want to chance them damaging something.
Old 08-02-06, 01:34 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

The guy who did my tint did an awesome job and he didnt take apart anything (you may want to consider someone who knows how to tint with out disassembling your car. Make sure your tinter knows how to remove that brake light as well....
Old 08-02-06, 02:51 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ichigo
The guy who did my tint did an awesome job and he didnt take apart anything (you may want to consider someone who knows how to tint with out disassembling your car. Make sure your tinter knows how to remove that brake light as well....
That's contradictory? Taking the brake light out is taking apart the car.

My tinter took out the brake light and removed the stripping at the top of the door (front doors only). Nothing broken, nothing rattles. They shouldn't have to take off the whole panel to do the job.

-Brian
Old 08-02-06, 03:05 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Reading a thread like this reinforces my decision to research the topic beforehand.
Thanks to this forum, I chose my tinter based upon members' feedback and recommendations.
You can't say enough for an installer that has experience working on the IS and has done several for members of this forum. That said, my installer did an excellent job, was very reasonable in terms of price & time to install and did NOT have to remove any door panels or the rear brake light. Club Lexus rocks !!!
Old 08-02-06, 03:38 PM
islandsnow
Driver

huper optik? so you're going with the ceramic tint? i heard its thicker. some people have said their tinters didn't need to take anything apart but unless you know the tinter is absolutely good and have done other 06 IS's, its safer to have the panels out. my first tinter shoved it into that corner and had scratches all over my tint. the second guy which i later found out was really good, told me that to do a good job, you have to take the panels off. but thats his opinion. he's done quite a bit of 06 IS so i was comfortable with him taking the panels off.

this has been brought up before

Originally Posted by VitB6
Took my IS 350 in to get tinted today (Huper Optik tint). The back and rear windows came out fine, but the installer mentioned that he is unable to get the front windows done because of the speakers on the front door panels. He said he could get it in there but it wouldn't be clean. He didn't know how to take the door panels off and says that he wants the door panels off so he can tint the windows cleanly.

I have not heard of this issue on this forum before. Has anyone run into this problem? The only problem I've heard of was the rear brake light needed to be removed, however he was able to tint the back window in one piece without removing the brake light.

Thoughts? Comments?

Vit
Old 08-02-06, 04:12 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The shop I went to (that removed the door panels) had performed 20+ installations and was referred by the dealer. They did a great job so I have no complaints.

I think whether or not the tinter has experience with the IS is more important than whether or not they take off the panels.
Old 08-02-06, 04:23 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses, at least I know that this is a common issue.

The place I went to is the only authorized Huper Optik tink in the midwest. He did a great job on the 3 windows and the place is on the up and up. I don't have a problem with the knowledge of the tinter. He said he never did the new IS before and wasn't sure how to take the panel off. He tried to find the clips but didn't want to break anything. There is a place 10 minutes away that deals with car stereo installations and they know how to take the panel off. I'll go there have them remove the panel and then go back to the tint place, have him finish up and then snap the panel back in place. I wish I wasn't the first IS that he did but I wanted Huper and didn't have a choice on being his first.

Are there any concerns with driving 10 minutes with the inside door panels off? This wil go down probably in 2 weeks on a Saturday. Wish me luck.
Old 08-02-06, 04:32 PM
rys
Pole Position

The tinter may need to be able to move the window up and down. If the panels are completely removed, the window motors may not function.

-Brian
Old 08-02-06, 05:20 PM
acsan
Driver

Originally Posted by VitB6
Thanks for the responses, at least I know that this is a common issue.

The place I went to is the only authorized Huper Optik tink in the midwest. He did a great job on the 3 windows and the place is on the up and up. I don't have a problem with the knowledge of the tinter. He said he never did the new IS before and wasn't sure how to take the panel off. He tried to find the clips but didn't want to break anything. There is a place 10 minutes away that deals with car stereo installations and they know how to take the panel off. I'll go there have them remove the panel and then go back to the tint place, have him finish up and then snap the panel back in place. I wish I wasn't the first IS that he did but I wanted Huper and didn't have a choice on being his first.

Are there any concerns with driving 10 minutes with the inside door panels off? This wil go down probably in 2 weeks on a Saturday. Wish me luck.
Like I said in my earlier reply, a quick call to the dealership by your tinter should do the job. They can give him the instructions he needs to take the panels off and put them back on properly.

Quick Reply: IS 350 window tinting hiccup