IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

10k oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 05:11 PM
Leechiro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10k oil change

i plan on taking my is350 to Precision Tune Auto Care for the 10k oil change. Ive been taking my cars there for a few years now (bringing in synthetic and just charging me labor). i went in today and they said that they didnt have the "special" filter for the IS in and can get it in by tomorrow. but instead of the usual $25 for oil change, they want to charge me like $55. i think they said the filter is only like $13. the added cost if because of removing the skid plate to get to the filter. does that sound right?

have you all been putting synthetic oil, or is the recommended 5k intervals based on regular oil? also, are they screwing me by telling me, my filter is more expensive than a standard one usually included in a $25 oil change?

thanks for any input.

Last edited by Leechiro; 07-31-06 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 05:20 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Leechiro
i plan on taking my is350 to Precision Tune Auto Care for the 10k oil change. Ive been taking my cars there for a few years now (bringing in synthetic and just charging me labor). i went in today and they said that they didnt have the "special" filter for the IS in and can get it in by tomorrow. but instead of the usual $25 for oil change, they want to charge me like $55. i think they said the filter is only like $13. the added cost if because of removing the skid plate to get to the filter. does that sound right?

have you all been putting synthetic oil, or is the recommended 5k intervals based on regular oil? also, are they screwing me by telling me, my filter is more expensive than a standard one usually included in a $25 oil change?

thanks for any input.
I brought my own Mobil 1 to the dealer for my 5K - I intend to do future oil/filter changes myself at 5K intervals.
Old 07-31-06, 05:28 PM
Leechiro
Driver

as much as itd be nice to have the dealer do it, i dont think its worth it with labor cost. i know this shop will be putting in reg oil so can i still go 5k intervals with that?
Old 07-31-06, 06:24 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Leechiro
as much as itd be nice to have the dealer do it, i dont think its worth it with labor cost. i know this shop will be putting in reg oil so can i still go 5k intervals with that?
Go to Toyota. They do the entire oil change for under $30.
Also, the 5,000 mile interval is based off of regular oil.
Old 07-31-06, 09:31 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.lexus-parts.com has the filters for less then 5.00 each. Bring in your own filter and oil if you dont do the labor yourself.
Old 07-31-06, 09:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

That sounds pretty high. I just ordered 5 OEM filters and 5 crush washers from Lexus-Parts for $40 (shipping included). I haven't removed the splash panels yet, so I don't know how much time that will take.
Old 07-31-06, 09:51 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, I haven't found an after-market filter manufacturer, so they may be paying full retail for an OEM filter and adding their own markup. I imagine an "equivalent" aftermarket filter might only cost them $1 for other cars. Of course, that "equivalent" aftermarket filter will probably be a POS that does more harm than good.

I know that most people don't like to do their own oil changes, but I am. I'm not even going to have the dealer do the free 5K service because I want to make damn sure they use good oil and actually change the filter.
Old 07-31-06, 10:06 PM
Leechiro
Driver

i see, so it sounds like they are charging me a good markup for the filter. but i wont be able to change the oil till next week if i dont do it tomorrow so i made the appt. figure now that i know that toyota only charges $30 for all that, ill just go there every 5k. thanks guys, my Qs have all been answered.
Old 07-31-06, 11:14 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i dont think you need to remove the skid plate at all. isnt this where the filter is?

if so then its just like 3 clips/screws
Old 08-01-06, 03:36 AM
jezza
Driver

They're full of ****. You don't need to remove anything other than the service cover to get at the oil filter. It's held on by a whopping 3 10mm bolts, which take all of about 34.6 seconds to remove.
Old 08-01-06, 04:02 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

Any Lexus owners here ever experienced oil consumption issue? I live in OZ and I'm still waiting for my new IS. I drove an Alfa 156 prior and oil consumption is a big problem for the 156. It can consume up to 1.5L within 10,000km even with 10W60 full synthetic oil. I have no such problems with my wife's Honda.
Old 08-01-06, 04:48 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vlkcheng
Any Lexus owners here ever experienced oil consumption issue? I live in OZ and I'm still waiting for my new IS. I drove an Alfa 156 prior and oil consumption is a big problem for the 156. It can consume up to 1.5L within 10,000km even with 10W60 full synthetic oil. I have no such problems with my wife's Honda.
What did you expect from an Alfa?
Old 08-01-06, 05:03 AM
jezza
Driver

Yeah, what did you expect from an Alfa?

Seriously though, I keep a close eye on my oil, mainly because most cars I've owned, due to their particular configurations, have been known to use oil.

The IS, however, hasn't used a drop over 4000 hard break-in miles.
Old 08-01-06, 08:18 AM
Leechiro
Driver

wolverine...so that silver thing is the oil filter? im only asking cause for what little i know about cars, that doesnt look like a filter, but maybe the NEW IS has something different.

where are the 3 10mm bolts located, i have yet to get under my car. does wolverines picture show the bolts that are needed to be removed? or can someone upload a pic or draw one for me? id liek to take that to the shop and let them know what to do so they dont overcharge me, thank you.
Old 08-01-06, 08:34 AM
jjwalker
Driver

After 5000mi no oil top off is250, unlike my 06' RSX Type-S which was burning a quart every 1500mi.

Quick Reply: 10k oil change