IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS Positioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 02:07 PM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has now happened four times, in different areas. The GPS is correctly following the route travelled and then fails to get the right position. Most of the time, it continues to go straight as the car travels (even though I will have made multiple turns). Doesn't fix itself until the car is restarted.

No tint.
Old 08-14-06, 04:44 PM
gmeardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Similiar 'jumpy' problem even for me (rare), and... if I can add: my gps unit is always a bit 'late'. I mean, when I pass through a crossing with the car, the unit always positions my car about 20 meters behind ('late'). Therefore I must be really careful to anticipate a bit the direction changes, just not to miss turns...
Anyobody else with the same problem? Could I have some problems 'cos of me being in Italy? (gps sensitivity, etc)
I've already tried to recalibrate, with the auto and manual modes, but didn't succeed...

Tks, Gianluca
Old 08-14-06, 05:28 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmeardi
Similiar 'jumpy' problem even for me (rare), and... if I can add: my gps unit is always a bit 'late'. I mean, when I pass through a crossing with the car, the unit always positions my car about 20 meters behind ('late'). Therefore I must be really careful to anticipate a bit the direction changes, just not to miss turns...
Anyobody else with the same problem? Could I have some problems 'cos of me being in Italy? (gps sensitivity, etc)
I've already tried to recalibrate, with the auto and manual modes, but didn't succeed...

Tks, Gianluca
i willing to bet your problems are from being in italie.
Old 08-14-06, 06:51 PM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

FYI, I just took my IS in for the 10K service, and I had them check the nav. They said it had logged a "communications failure" so they "reset" it. I think it's basically the equivalent of rebooting your computer. They said if it keeps happening, they'll replace the nav CPU, but they're hopeful the "reset" will solve the problem.
Old 08-14-06, 07:04 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolverine
man once my nav was like 300 miles off so the dealer is going to look at it later this week
That's some funny ****... LOL.
Old 09-13-06, 04:41 PM
rekognize
Driver School Candidate

Default still a problem

since i last posted the problem i have been to the dealer 2x and both times they claimed it was fixed but as i drove home the nav began to stray off course. i am finally scheduled to bring in the car again tomorrow but they are hesitant in giving me a loner car despite the fact that the car obviously needed more than one day with a grease monkey. anyone know the protocal on loner cars?

i bought a lexus based on the looks of this IS and the reputation of quality of service was undeniably a factor in my decision. unfortunately, my dealer has NOT been very helpful nor has lexus customer service which responded to my complaint via email 2 weeks after i emailed them of my complaint. even the response was awful...(paraphrase) "we will investigate and a representative will contact you in 3 - 5 business days"...i'm still waiting lexus?

about 2 years ago mercedes was having problems with the E-class electronics. I forgot the specifics of the electronics problem but I recall mercedes replacing the cars of those that were affected. thats great customer service...i cant even get a freakin' call back from these guys, what gives?

it is also quite apparent that i am not the only one facing this problem. if anyone has further info on this matter please help with a reply. i am hopeful of my 3rd visit to the shop. i hope the knuckleheads will finally listen to the fact that recalibrating/"rebooting" is not the answer to the problem. i believe its the hardware...the antenna? or it can be that cpu someone mentioned earlier.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
-mike
Old 09-13-06, 05:24 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

I've been having the same problem for the past couple of weeks.

Is there anyway to reset the Nav CPU without having to go to the dealer?

Thanks!
Mr Lex
Old 09-13-06, 05:29 PM
rekognize
Driver School Candidate

Default how many are facing this issue?

can i get a roll call?

it appears that in another forum us.lexusownersclub.com someone by the name of rokeven experienced the exact problem I am facing almost the same week it began to glitch. what more interesting is that he purchased the car in Februrary, which is when i received my IS250awd
Old 09-13-06, 06:34 PM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with my GS when I bought the car. Took it to dealer and they found the problem. GPS signal receiver is on car's dashboard right side from the center. I had my radar detector on top of it location and it was blockng the signal. It worked fine for a while and suddenly loose its location. After I moved the radar detector to the left side of the window all worked fine!
Hope this helps...
Old 09-14-06, 01:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by MR LEX
I've been having the same problem for the past couple of weeks.

Is there anyway to reset the Nav CPU without having to go to the dealer?

Thanks!
Mr Lex
Pull three fuses. It will forget EVERYTHING. You'll need to start over from scratch. I did this to try and resolve a bluetooth pairing issue, but it only annoyed me that I'd lost all my customisations.

When it boots up after pulling the fuses it goes through an extended boot process. It will take about a minute to come back.

I wouldn't recommend this, but I have done it.
Old 09-14-06, 02:19 AM
Inventor
Driver School Candidate

The GPS system was primarily designed for military purposes. It is made available for civil applications such as vehicle navigation (but at reduced accuracy). There are times when it is 'turned off' for such civil applications so you would lose satellite communication. This happens here in Europe every so often, particularly at times of heightened security. When it is turned off the car tries to keep its position by its onboard sensors, accelerometers, etc but may drift, until satellite signals are recommenced.

In Europe we will sonn have the alternative Galileo system, which has been designed from the outset as a civil system and will I think have greater accuracy than GPS for users like us.
Old 09-14-06, 10:43 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rekognize
can i get a roll call?

it appears that in another forum us.lexusownersclub.com someone by the name of rokeven experienced the exact problem I am facing almost the same week it began to glitch. what more interesting is that he purchased the car in Februrary, which is when i received my IS250awd
I'm having the problem too. Car bought first week of December '05, and I didn't start having the problem until August '06. I don't have a radar detector, have nothing anywhere near the dash, and I haven't had the windows tinted. Going by the little "GPS" indicator under the map scale, I'd estimate that my unit has a successful GPS lock less than 1/3 of the time.
Old 09-14-06, 10:55 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

I got mine the first week in January and also experienced no problems until August. Dealer "reset" did not solve the problem.
Old 09-14-06, 12:48 PM
rekognize
Driver School Candidate

Default Bichon & Pete C

what are you guys doing about the problem? are you just driving around with the nav locating your car in the middle of a lake or the atlantic or the pacific?
Old 09-14-06, 12:55 PM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

It's not a constant problem. I've probably had a total of four brief episodes of the nav just completely losing track of where I am. 90% of the time, it is working. The times it does not work are not readily attributable to weather or any other external factor. The dealer noted a "communications error" was logged and "reset" the nav a couple weeks ago. I did have another episode after that. The dealer said the nav CPU would have to be replaced if I continue having problems. The interesting thing is that others all started having problems around the same time (August), which makes me think maybe the problem is not with the nav in the car, but rather with some satellite issue. I'm sure I'll take it back in soon to get the CPU replaced just to see if that works.

Quick Reply: GPS Positioning problem