IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport Gas Pedal is a B**ch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 04:45 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Gas Pedal is a B**ch

I finally did it. There were a lot of casualties. The old pedal.....destroyed. The stock pin was barely salvageable. My punch (aka framing nail) kept widening the pin and wouldn't let it come out the other side. I finally ended up grabbing what little pin was showing, bent the stock pedal in half lengthwise and just pulled the sucker out.

It wasn't pretty, but the finished product is. If you can pay someone else to do it, I would highly recommend it. If I would have known it was going to be that hard.....I would not have ordered them.
Old 07-30-06, 05:30 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

wow, was it really that hard? i guess i will find out soon, i just ordered my set from lexus parts.
Old 07-30-06, 05:38 PM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it was that hard to install METRO?
Old 07-30-06, 05:52 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Yes. Getting the pedal out of the car wasn't bad. I chose to remove the two bolts instead of the 4 torx screws. Just use a flex adapter on your 10mm socket. But removing the pin.....brings back nightmares just thinking about it.

I DESTROYED the old pedal getting the pin out. My "punch" was just a nail, so you may want to invest in a real punch. If I could have gotten the pin out in a decent amount of time, I would have been done in 15 minutes. Instead, it turned in to an hour ordeal.
Old 07-30-06, 06:40 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I paid the dealer to do my sport pedal install. I did the brake myself and one look at the accelerator was reason enogh for me to go to my dealer.
Old 07-30-06, 08:09 PM
MeTrO
Driver

When I asked my dealer how to do it, he said he didn't know, they had never done one. I figured I could just use the forums instructions, which I did, but getting that pin out......what a pain.
Old 07-30-06, 08:36 PM
flyfl1pguy

Damn! putting sport pedals is that hard. I guess I rather buy aftermarket ones. . .
Old 07-30-06, 08:48 PM
MeTrO
Driver

But hey, it's probably just me.... it may be a piece of cake for you..
Old 07-30-06, 08:48 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
Damn! putting sport pedals is that hard. I guess I rather buy aftermarket ones. . .
Well if you actually want to put the aftermarket ones ON the car, i'd assume you'd run into the same problem.
Old 07-30-06, 08:51 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Can you post a pic of your interior now w/the sport pedals installed? I have cashmere lux interior and wasn't sure how the aluminum pedals would look w/the cashmere and wood.
Old 07-30-06, 09:03 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Here's with gas pedal....
Attached Thumbnails Sport Gas Pedal is a B**ch-dsc00329.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 09:04 PM
MeTrO
Driver

here's without....
Attached Thumbnails Sport Gas Pedal is a B**ch-dsc00326.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 09:23 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

was gonna create a new thread but i guess i'll just piggyback off of metro's.. hope you don't mind.

anyways, got my pedals installed today. did the same as metro... chose to remove the 2 bolts rather than the 4 hex screws... didn't wanna mess with any springs in there hahah. the upper right bolt is pretty hard to reach. i ended up removing the plastic guard piece where your knees would be to get at it better. used a ratchet and went in from the top to remove the bolt... much more space to turn the rathet from the top rather than the bottom.

ok like everybody said... that friggin pin is a pita to get out!!! even with the right tools it was a biatch. but at least you can work with it in the comfort of a garage rather than upside down under your car or something. used a table vice and a 5/32 punch tool. the 5/32 is the perfect size for the pin. spent the next 30 mins hammering away at it. took so long cuz i couldn't get a good grip on the pedal assembly using the vice... it kept moving every time i hit it. had to reposition it after about every 7 hits. finally was able to hammer the pin out... the part of the pin that i was hammering was all smashed and pancake looking. put the sport pedal in and was able to put the pin in using my fingers. hopefully that pin doesn't move and eventually fall out in the future! might have to put some glue or something to make sure it stays put. so it took about an hour to do everything... not bad. if i had to do it again... i'd still do it rather than spend money n take it to the dealer.

here's the final results...
Old 07-30-06, 09:45 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by MeTrO
But hey, it's probably just me.... it may be a piece of cake for you..
i rather not try it. Might break something while doing it.
Old 07-30-06, 10:02 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Metro and Ultimax - those look fantastic!! do you have any pics of before you installed them? i just want to see a before/after thing. i think it definitely enhances the look...

Quick Reply: Sport Gas Pedal is a B**ch