IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP!! DIY oil change screw up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 06:27 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should goto the dealer and get that oil pan replaced. Also have them check on the oil pick up tube to be sure that it wasnt bent in any way.

Obviously the original poster should have learned his lesson.
Please keep it clean, dont want the mods to come in here and give people vacations now right?

"Personal Attacks
While we encourage lively debates and discussions, we will not tolerate personal attacks of any kind. Any person attacking another forum member will receive a warning and may have their offensive posts removed. One more offense and the offending member will be permanently suspended from Club Lexus. Any member that physically threatens another member, vendor or moderator on Club Lexus will result in an immediate automatic suspension.

Repeated name calling and insults will not be tolerated. Members are certainly going to disagree from time-to-time, but the disagreement should be about the topic not the person posting. Please keep debates factual and constructive and keep in mind you can always ‘agree to disagree’ rather than enter into a heated argument. "
Old 07-30-06, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Jim
Also, for future oil changes,, you should purchase some Rhino ramps and use them instead of a jack.. Just drive your car on them and you have plenty of room to work... they run about 35-45 bucks at walmart, or autozone. ect..
Depending on just how they are designed, they may or may not work on an IS. The IS300 had a low front end with an air dam, without much clearance....the new IS250 and 350 appear to be more or less the same way....perhaps even more so, now that the taller 55-series tire option is gone.
If you tried to drive an IS300 up on many store-bought ramps the air dam would hit the ramp before the front end of the car would start to rise.

Once you get everything straightened out, if you are THAT concerned about the $50 charge at Lexus dealershiups for an oil change, take the car to a Toyota shop. You will get the EXACT same filter and probably the same oil for roughly half the price, and Lexus will recognize Toyota service for warranty purposes on small things like fluid and filter changes. Toyota dealers, however, cannot do Lexus warranty work if you need a repair....nor do they have many parts that are exclusive to Lexus vehicles.
Old 07-30-06, 06:51 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Oil filter location

Originally Posted by C280to250
Where is the oil filter located anyway??. i can't find it

As for the bent oil pan, Being its a new car i would rather get it check to make sure but i did this on my 300ZX going through something over the freeway and bent it bad.
didn't give me a problem so i left it alone.
The filter maybe in the same geneal area as on the 350. Its right above the small three screw panel, in front of the oil pan, but past the bottom of the radiator. Here is a pic with the door removed and the filter out of the canister, on a IS350. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! DIY oil change screw up!-100_06.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 07:00 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question...what does the cost of the car have to do with changing your own oil? Would it have made a difference if the car was 20k or 30k . Are they not large amounts of money? Also at some point everyone who knows how to change oil has done it for the first time some I'm sure did not go as well as it should have. I find taking apart you dash and cutting wires on a new 43k,37k,30k or 20k car a little more insane than trying to change you own oil. At least the oil change mistake would just be a out of warranty repair and not a warranty voiding modification. JMO
Old 07-30-06, 07:06 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Back Off

Originally Posted by Belmont
^^^^

QFT.

You my friend, are a dumbass. Let the dealership take care of the car.
Erock901:
Man's got to learn by trying. Small mistake, you don't need these clowns piling on. I agree with Tulex, you didn't hear any abnormal sounds, your probably ok. People in mini vans hit parking curbs all the time and bash the crap out of oil pans. I would guess the Toyota engine is quite robust for such incidents.

I hope GSDave sees these posts Belmont and dominate-1 put in here and throws their sorry ***'s out of here!
Old 07-30-06, 07:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Enough guys, this thread is closed.

I would request that each member on Club Lexus participate as if this were your home and other members were guests. We don't need the flaming and insults you see on other forums. We're here to help each other out and if you intend to post just to aggravate another member, maybe you need to go elsewhere.