IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport mode button....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 01:49 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport mode button....

As usual I was cruising down the toll road home last night and had the cc set at 80. For some reason I decided to flip the sport mode button on to see if anything would change. When I flipped it the car sounded to rev a little higher. When I turned it off it was like the car exhaled and I felt a slight kick down. I tried it again and every time the car did the same thing. Not noticeable on the tach, but definitely a change thru feel and sound.

What does the sport mode button do to the engine? Mess with the variable valve timing?
Old 07-28-06, 01:55 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Do you mean the Power ECT button?
Old 07-28-06, 01:55 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

the one that shares spots with the snow mode button. by your right knee. power button sport button whatever...
Old 07-28-06, 02:31 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

I want to change that button to say "turbo." ECT PWR is so lame.
Old 07-28-06, 02:38 PM
lirandy
Driver

I actually have some similar questions. What does the ECT PWR about? Will that screw up my engine or other things if I switch the mode back and forth?
Old 07-28-06, 02:53 PM
crzygosu87
Driver School Candidate

im thinking that its probably more power most likely in the sense that it gives higher revs so that more potential hp is used ... a faster, higher revving engine ultimately has "more power" so thats what im thikning it does ... but it doesnt really make that big of a difference from what i heard
Old 07-28-06, 02:55 PM
crzygosu87
Driver School Candidate

im pretty sure it wont mess up the engine at all either ... but it reall doesnt make that much of a difference so i would jsut drive around without it even turned on ... i would say its mostly just eye candy ...

on the other hand on a new f430 ferrari, the "sports" and "race" mode buttons are a whole different deal
Old 07-28-06, 02:58 PM
dana_daen
Driver

I find in normal mode the car cruises and is quick, but in the other mode, it picks up faster, and responds quicker. I can feel a difference. I have to add , this car is the bomb I can't get over it.
Old 07-28-06, 03:03 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

The ECT button works as such:

In PWR mode, The transmission downshifts more readlily and upshifts later; AND the throttle is more responsive, requiring less travel for the same amount of power.

In SNOW mode it's the exact opposite: the transmission upshifts earlier and is more reluctant to downshift, AND the throttle is less sensitive to help you modulate power in smaller increments.

Normal mode is, well, in the middle.

There is NO increase in total power with ECT in PWR mode, your throttle is more touchy, but full throttle is full throttle in all modes.

Likewise, transmission shift points vary between modes, but if you floor it I believe that it will shift near redline in all modes.
Old 07-28-06, 03:10 PM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdeslandes

In PWR mode, The transmission downshifts more readlily and upshifts later; AND the throttle is more responsive, requiring less travel for the same amount of power.

In SNOW mode it's the exact opposite: the transmission upshifts earlier and is more reluctant to downshift, AND the throttle is less sensitive to help you modulate power in smaller increments.

There is NO increase in total power with ECT in PWR mode, your throttle is more touchy, but full throttle is full throttle in all modes.

Likewise, transmission shift points vary between modes, but if you floor it I believe that it will shift near redline in all modes.
Well said. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-06, 03:25 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Do this, put it in sport mode and get up to 70, brake hard down to 60-50ish when coming up to a corner. now of course as you should, as you come into the corner, let of the brake and start on the gas after you have stabilized and get ready to hit the proper apex. It will downshift fast and pop he RPM's up high. I actually really like this, it really does allow me to go in corners more like I would if I were on the track, kicks the RPM's up and you can throttle through a corner.

I drive 100% of the time in etc power which is probably why for my entire 3000 miles, I have averaged 16-17 mpg.
Old 07-28-06, 03:33 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So the button doesn't have any effect on air fuel mixure or mapping at all? Just strictly transmission?
Old 07-28-06, 07:00 PM
Pwyll
Driver

My IS350 feels way more responsive in power mode. I drove all over tonight in that mode. When I went back to normal, the car felt like it was working a little harder. Don't get me wrong, either way, the car is *****-*** fast.

I also came out of a G35. I loved it, but doesn't compare the this car.
Old 07-28-06, 07:20 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

I use the PWR button when I am going up steep hills.... it keeps it in lower gears and makes going up the hills very easy...love it. the only thing i HATE is the position of the ECT/SNOW buttons.... its in a bad location.
Old 07-28-06, 08:16 PM
QSVeilside
Rookie

"In SNOW mode it's the exact opposite: the transmission upshifts earlier and is more reluctant to downshift, AND the throttle is less sensitive to help you modulate power in smaller increments."

Might be significantly slower, but doesn't this mean that in SNOW mode, you will get better gas mileage in city/traffic?

Quick Reply: Sport mode button....